3 4 5 6 7
Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
4/23/19 6:38 p.m.

Finished  welding  panhard rod mount. This  will attach to the bodyshell. Made of 3.2 mm box steel.ground down the weld bugers,and set in New welds.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/7/19 10:49 p.m.

2 nd try at panhard rod mount 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/7/19 10:54 p.m.

Hood ready for fiberglass mold

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/7/19 10:56 p.m.

try to make the good blister,very suttle.so not to noticeable. Only 1 inch high 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/15/19 11:03 a.m.

Welding the bellhousing to t5 plate 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/15/19 5:56 p.m.

New photos 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/16/19 7:13 p.m.

Static build, engine level  transmission 10 degrees to drivers side. Can adjust when in carI cannot imagine  a 17 tilt on a camaro or firebird  car. Wow

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/22/19 6:31 p.m.

3rd layer of glass, this is the ugly side, one more layer of fiberglass Mat in hour, then pull off oem  steel hood. Sand inside smooth, then install fiberglass  cloth  bottom layer ( top layer when done) and 2 layers of Mat for strength. Then do underside ribbing in glass.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/22/19 7:26 p.m.

Heavy glass cloth  Ugly side

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/22/19 8:41 p.m.

Popped out off, a little flexible, maybe add 2 or 3 more layers to get it stiffer before I make the good itself. Any ideas here?

BA5
BA5 Reader
5/22/19 11:11 p.m.

Don't just add layers, that'll build a lot of weight without adding much stiffness.

Use long foam blocks and fiberglass over them to create bracing that'll greatly increase your section width without much weight penalty.

The goal is to create "ribs" like the stock hood has.

Alternatively you could also attach some aluminum angle.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/23/19 3:34 a.m.

Bas, this is just the mold for the new glass hood, but thank you for the information

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
5/28/19 8:51 p.m.

Hood mold  trimmed, I little flexible, now thinking about just sanding the top of the hood mold, and just using that, plus the stiffener  ribs, under it.to bond then togeather, a urethane  sealant. My logic here, they glue the glass into the body with urethane  sealent, and Windows don't blow out., any help here?, sand top of hood,fill the gaps with resin and chopped glass. , sand more, lay a cap of resin to smooth  it out, and seal. Then finel sand.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/2/19 1:43 a.m.

One layer cloth, 2nd layer matt,3rd layer glass, in the mold I made, let cure untill Sunday eve before  I pop it out. Next, make ribbing supports to keep shape, and mounts for the hinge and lock.the discoloration is in the mold, not the glass. Found a way to roll the resin and fiberglass out, a 4 inch long foam roller, worked great, even when I layed out the resin on the mold before I put 1st layer of glass one, rolled out each layer before layed next layer of glass.the photo here is the underside  of the new hood

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/4/19 5:44 p.m.

Trimmed, going to add 2 or 3 layers of resin ( thin ) so I can sand to a smooth surface.very light, adding stiffened on the back soon. First photo  in fresh out the mold

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/4/19 6:02 p.m.

Came out of mold 5 mm on all sides to short. So Trim glass cloth to 20 mm wide, add fiberboard to the up side, flip over glass the underside  with 3 layers of glass cloth and resin ( before  glass, Mark the fiberboard with a wide black marker, that I can see thru the glass) then trim to shape.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/4/19 6:20 p.m.

Fix a problem, find a new problem..lol

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/4/19 7:32 p.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

Fix a problem, find a new problem..lol

ALWAYS! cheeky

Hood is looking great. Keep on working through those challenges!

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/4/19 9:09 p.m.

sanded all the gloss off the resin, so I know it's flat now 

Sanding que.. it goes from gloss to Matt finish

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/4/19 9:23 p.m.

Some imperfections, but I know some would show up.the ones on the edges, I left for reason. Adding more glass to make edges stronger. And still need to add 5 mm of glass to edge.but overall it works.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/5/19 2:57 p.m.

just dropped it on the car, very close fit, need to sand a little off the nose, and add a little on the sides.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/5/19 3:00 p.m.

this is just a discoloration 

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
6/5/19 7:49 p.m.

Not bad! I do glass work for my day job but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel doing a big mold like that. Do you have the hinge mouns on yet? I'd like to see how you attach them.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/5/19 8:44 p.m.

Buzz, no mounts yet,thinking of ways to do it, and keep it in the car on the highway,don't want to litter.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
6/6/19 2:58 a.m.

Update, I will be trying to use oem hardware  for the hood, to open and lock it down 

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hA03gkLU1uVsrpPUf0BPPGfU0cDmwybodLw2jyAv3vhFWMb1OLtoVAwS5sv0GnOh