1 2 3 4 5
malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
2/25/21 3:26 p.m.
kevinatfms said:

Ill see you at Trackcross this weekend. Not going to bring the Fiesta though, we will have our Elantra out there. Ill come say "hi" from a social distance.

Ok will do

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
2/25/21 3:27 p.m.

Easy way to drop 30lbs.  The previous owner had shoehorned this hooge 1000ca battery in the car so it was already slightly heavier to begin with 

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
3/10/21 7:19 p.m.

New windshield 

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
3/11/21 1:25 p.m.

Made a new quieter rear muffler section with a large case Borla muffler I repacked last week

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
3/28/21 10:14 p.m.

First autoX as XS-B today

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
4/7/21 8:32 p.m.

Got a chance to have Earl dyno'd today to see what its doing and to get a baseline.

84/94.  I was slightly disappointed but it is what it is.  These typically make a few more numbers at the wheels but its all good.

russ_mill
russ_mill Reader
4/8/21 5:55 a.m.

Every time I read this and the Mazda2 thread, I realize how much I love small cars and just want one for a daily/autox car.

Nice build!

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
4/8/21 9:25 a.m.
russ_mill said:

Every time I read this and the Mazda2 thread, I realize how much I love small cars and just want one for a daily/autox car.

Nice build!

Make cars small and simple again :)

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
4/20/21 5:43 a.m.

Last week I weighted the car to be sure its class legal and with a full tank and otherwise as I race it trim its

And thats including a new rear sway bar which really only added like 6lbs.

First championship event was sunday and the car did really well.  Once I got the tires dialed in and I got used to the swaybar I had it dancing on its toes to where it felt natural and car behaved predictably.  Ended up in 1st place in our class of 3.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/20/21 3:22 p.m.

Love the car! Llight, nimble, simple! That’s my jam.

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
5/6/21 6:14 p.m.

Lost by .320 of a second Sunday on a horsepower course...so I addressed that.  No more 2 digit power

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/6/21 7:31 p.m.

My ex wife had one of these and I found it to be a strangely entertaining to drive.  That isn't offered as a backhanded compliment, as at the time I mentally noted what a simple, good little car Toyota managed to produce.  I only wished it had 50 more hp.

Now you've got me looking at them in the classifieds.  Damn it.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/6/21 8:48 p.m.

Whoa mama! Just threw that in there eh! NBD.

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
5/7/21 7:25 a.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

for me it is not a big deal lol, I do turbo fab for a living.  Should be getting the rest of the little parts that I did n0t have today and should drive it home tomorrow.

I am literally building this with scraps and leftover parts.  The aluminum pipe is from my pink tercel that was turbo 2 years ago.  I cut it down, rewelded it to work how I needed it.

Hell the flange was a chunk of steel I found on the ground next door, so I drilled it, tapped it and cut a hole out for the exhaust gases

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
5/7/21 7:27 a.m.
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) said:

My ex wife had one of these and I found it to be a strangely entertaining to drive.  That isn't offered as a backhanded compliment, as at the time I mentally noted what a simple, good little car Toyota managed to produce.  I only wished it had 50 more hp.

Now you've got me looking at them in the classifieds.  Damn it.

Their simplicity is what makes them brilliant.  Unfortunately they aint cheap anymore.   Most are 1500 and up, which is well out of my price range.

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
5/11/21 5:36 p.m.

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
5/12/21 9:46 p.m.

Car is essentially done.  Ducted cold air intake. Mounted and wired boost and AFR gauges. Still got to weld in a breather port.  Mount my catch can and run better signal lines.  I kinda threw that together enough to test everything and go up and down the street.  And then sort out water lines.

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
5/15/21 6:28 a.m.

Like 98% done here.  The heatshield aint completely done but that is essentially it.  Water lines hooked up to the turbo and new signal and breather lines.  

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
5/31/21 8:10 a.m.

Earl has been flawless the last couple weeks other then I had to revise my map signal bypass.

I did the valve seals the other week hoping to address my oil smoking and consumption issue and unfortunately that was not my problem...its the rings.  Which explains why it was down on n/a power to begin with.

So I think instead of rering the bottom end Ill wait to find a 1st gen 5e bottom end to get the better rods and gain some compression to boot.  1st gen rods can handle about 250hp...while my skinny rods can handle about 180.

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
6/14/21 8:22 p.m.

First autoX event with the turbo is in the books and the car did exceptionally well.

Its literally a riot machine now.

My friend AJ got these cool shots of the car sunday.  His IG is in the corner check out his sweet NSX and Civic hatchie

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
7/12/21 5:38 p.m.

Turbo blanket (and modified ac fan shroud for clearance after pic was taken) and Siberian Bushing rear trailing arm replacements are the only changes lately.

V6Buicks
V6Buicks Reader
7/14/21 11:28 a.m.

I've never found a single thing exciting about Tercels until I started following your threads.  Now I seriously look forward to your updates!  Thanks for sharing.  Good on you for daring to be different!

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
7/28/21 9:59 p.m.

Had Earl dyno'd today at my friends shop to see where its at given its non intercooled 4-5psi.  Going off turbo math and past experience i predicted 115-120.  I was not far off.  The car made 84/94 before...which to be fair is lower then normal.

111whp/116wtq

Sgt_Sizzle
Sgt_Sizzle
7/30/21 11:37 a.m.

malibuguy your threads are an inspiration, I have been reading a TON of GRM threads lately (work is slower then traffic in a Georgia snowstorm) and finally got up the gumption to make myself a profile so I can finally tell people how cool their crap boxes are. I have a buddy with a 2 door 5 spd Tercel that I will definitely be sending these build links to. These make me look at my sisters '96 that's rotting in my parents back yard with a renewed interest.  Keep up the great work and I cant wait to see where these go from here.

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
7/30/21 8:26 p.m.
Sgt_Sizzle said:

malibuguy your threads are an inspiration, I have been reading a TON of GRM threads lately (work is slower then traffic in a Georgia snowstorm) and finally got up the gumption to make myself a profile so I can finally tell people how cool their crap boxes are. I have a buddy with a 2 door 5 spd Tercel that I will definitely be sending these build links to. These make me look at my sisters '96 that's rotting in my parents back yard with a renewed interest.  Keep up the great work and I cant wait to see where these go from here.

I appreciate it dude.  This car has really blossomed this year and I have a lot of plans for it next year.  Floyd, my pink tercel is nearly road ready again, so that is very exciting (for me at least) and I will keep posting about all of them.  I have a hot motor lined up for the 4dr Tercel lurking in my garage, but that is not a priority project atm.

These cars in general fly under the radar, plus there is a lot of autozone tuner variants that keep the mere suggestion of one a joke to most people.

If your sisters 96 aint rotten, get it back on the road!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dXSyQoe0LFOYRS2FtMKzYJAHlSrkqDzxmWRsnB6HQ3jMaAkPyFLda5gJoG4kyzGR