8 9 10
Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
7/15/19 9:16 a.m.

I finished the 3rd link!

And since it was the "missing link" I could finally play with my rear end. Err, I mean I could articulate my rear suspension.

With rear end playing came the ability to figure out where my bump stops needed to be and then I was able to fab some mounts and get them welded into the frame. 

Once the bump stops were taken care of I moved onto battery mounting bracket 3.0. I'll have some additional photos in a few days. It's the gray thing on the left in this photo.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
7/16/19 3:28 p.m.

Are these style of exhaust pipe clamps OK? I'm wanting to use 2 of them on Blitzy. Both butt joint style. I like them for their small OD and affordable price.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
7/19/19 11:15 p.m.

In reply to Sparkydog :

I've used them in the past. Always worked good for me and they don't crush the tubes. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
8/6/19 9:19 a.m.

Thanks bigfranks84, good to know!

Well I'm back on the 944 after a break.

Formed up the floor of where the fuse block will mount next to the battery. It's going to get crowded in this area once the battery leads become involved.

I used this DIY metal brake that a guy built for us to use at the shop. It did not have any way to clamp it into a vice so I "fixed" it.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
9/23/19 9:17 a.m.

Wow a month and a half without much progress. I've been doing normal Summer stuff but was finally able to get back on the 944 for "Exhaust Weekend".

First was fixing my sawzall oopsie.

Then finish welding all the joints on the cat-back portion of the exhaust and adding 3 hanger arms (aka BRACKETS!).

And the corresponding hanger arms (BRACKET) on the body side.

Now the exhaust has joined the "85% Club"! I have a final joint on the Y-pipe/Cat section that needs finish welding whenever I get around to pulling it out from the car again. And I also need to add the final 2ft of tailpipe out the back of the car.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
9/30/19 12:29 p.m.

Exhaust installed.

I'll need to add one last section to turn away from the tire and up/out the rear.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
10/28/19 9:14 a.m.

I've welded the battery tray and fuse block floor into the 944. So now its time for a little CAD for the remaining large hole behind the drivers seat. First I took off the rear wheels (they overhang the fender lips) and moved the rear axle to full compression up against the bump stops. Then started to play with cardboard 1.0. I need to devise a way to stick some 1" spacer strips over the surface of the muffler so that I can form a wrap-around hump of sheet metal. That will be the 1st piece of the floor puzzle and then I can form/blend the other pieces around it.

8 9 10
Our Preferred Partners
Mowtm7fk43pXqfzqqy7oeQvdbwgAoyX18k25re85rlEKCjUWCjsFqo28TcZLLZMy