1 2 3 4
turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
12/30/14 8:56 a.m.

There were a lot of "dealer" installed parts on the 924 and 944's (those stupid license plate filler plates for example) and there was a "factory" body kit offered on later 924s, but no one has been able to find part numbers for it, pictures and recollections are all that exist for proof.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
12/30/14 12:17 p.m.

There was a foho front spoiler for sale a while ago on one of the 924 boards that I almost bought. At the moment, my main aim is to get it mechanically better than it is currently. Then when it is where I want it mechanically we start working on body upgrades. .

Thanks for the compliments on keeping the old car running. It is a lot of fun, and really easy to work on. Mostly. the gas tank is going to be a bit of a pain. But I will get it done.

Cheers; Mike Kirby

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
12/30/14 12:26 p.m.

Yeah, I have to do the tank lines on my 924. Not looking forward to that.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
12/30/14 4:45 p.m.

From my research it is not a quick job. Have to remove the exhaust, transmission and shift mechanism. Then we can get the tank out. I am hoping to find a good tank that I can swap in at the same time. Kind of do it all in one day.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
4/3/15 2:00 p.m.

Well after 3 months of cold, cold, white winter today was a good warm day. I was able to get the 924 up on jackstands, don't know why but always makes me nervous, and pulled off the tires and replaced the brake master cylinder with the one I rebuilt. Pretty easy job, now I just need to bleed the brakes, but all the stores are closed so I have to wait until tomorrow to pick up some fluid. Then we will have nice solid brakes again.

I guess after that I will tackle the fuel tank and see if I can get the tail end up higher and start dropping everything that is in the way to get it done.

HAPPY EASTER everyone.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
4/3/15 2:23 p.m.

Can't wait for more racing shots!!

happy Easter

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
4/3/15 5:43 p.m.

Another quick update.

Brakes are bled. Better than what they were, but maybe a bit of air left. I will get my wife back in the car and give it another go. I really need to get some clear line to see air bubbles. That or cut the bad ends off the fuel line I used. The middle is good. LOL

Tuna, unfortunately there may not be any more action shots of the 924 on track. With the purchase of the 944 that is going to take the place on track. A better track car to start with.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
4/17/15 8:23 a.m.

It was such a great day, I took the 924 to work. Too bad the highway was pretty much a parking lot. That and you feel real small when a smart car towers over you!! The joys of owning a sports car.

As an aside. I will be bleeding the brakes again on the weekend. They still seem a bit spongy to me. I need to get the pedal back.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
4/17/15 10:38 a.m.

Sounds like you should find a back road route to work and let the Porsche make your commute the best part of the day

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
4/17/15 10:56 a.m.

It always is the best part of the day. Cannot beat driving a nice car on a sunny Friday.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
6/2/15 5:56 p.m.

We get one more weekend with the 924 at Watkins Glen this weekend with the Zone 1 of PCA. Took the car out to get tech'd, which it passed. While I was there also balanced the tires and locked down the battery again. That will need to be fixed once and for all, but that will wait for another day. Videos to come of the car in action next week.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
6/8/15 12:33 p.m.

We made another trip to Watkins Glen in the old 924. The way down was an adventure to say the least. For a while I didn't think we would make it. About 2 hours in to the drive the exhaust (midway under the car) started to come apart. Good thing my support truck (aka father) was on his way with his own car and had two bolts with lock nuts so that I could button it up again and keep going. From there we were just about to hit the toll bridge to get onto the I81 from Canada, when I got pulled over for speeding!!! Good thing the officer was nice enough to let me go with a stern talking to and a warning. Slowing the pace on the I81 and following my dad with his trailer we made it to Seneca Falls, where he needed to fill his truck. I looked under the car and found a Pool of coolant. My face falls to my hands, I go in buy some premixed coolant, can continue the last hour, nice and easily to Watkins Glen. Wait for the morning and top the coolant off.

Friday is a test day for new instructors. We pull out my dads car for my brother to run, but they both wimp out. Too cold, tires are too old and they can't get heat into them. Ok their loss.

Saturday. Day 1 for me Running again in the Green Novice group. I take the car through tech. It fails!! The battery keeps moving around. I need to tie this thing down. It takes about three tries to get the guys to pass the battery. Mind you it is locked down tight now. I totally understand what they are saying and doing. It is safety first. Go out for my first run of the day. There are trains so long, I might as well be on the highway. Passing signals are not being given and even my little car is running down some much more potent machines. My instructor is great. He is giving me good advice and we are getting faster each session. By the end of the day, the brake pedal is pretty long. I decide we should bleed the brakes. Back drums get bled and adjusted. We move to the front of the car. We look. Oh E36 M3!!! The pads are done. almost to the backing plate. I guess I was going faster than the last 2 years. Not that I have ever changed pads on the 924. We start the hunt. There is a guy who sells Pagid pads. I call him, no good. He has nothing. I call the Parts stores in the Glen. Nothing. I think I am done for the weekend.

Sunday, day 2.

Morning dawns, I am very upset. I have no front pads to speak of. Maybe enough for the 6 hour drive home down the highways. I do have new pads at home, just not with me. I put an APB out at the drivers meeting that I am looking for front pads for an Early 924, not a 924s. I start going around the paddock looking for early 944s and 924S's. I get a box of used pads from a guy running an early 944. I get back to the car and there is box on the hood. Score. They are used Rear pads from a 924S. Cant hurt to try. I take out the pads on the passenger side. I check them with what has been given to me. They look different, but they line up. I put them in. No problems. They fit!!!. SWEET. I swap out the drivers side. My instructor comes over as I start the drivers side, and asks if I will be ready for the day. He is concerned, not just because I toasted the pads, but because we were having a great day yesterday and he wanted to keep running with me on the Sunday. I tell him, I think so, but maybe we should sneak out in the next group up (yellow) to test the brakes. He says we will see, goes away and comes back with a big smile. Were in Yellow. Lets go. SWEET. Now I am up a run group. The day gets better. The rest of Sunday is a blast. The Yellow run group is faster. But I am still not out of my element. The car ran like a train all weekend. We were fast, held a pretty good line through out, and were getting real smooth.

What started as a bad weekend, ended on a great High note. Cannot wait to start running the faster 944.

Entering the bus stop.

The Heel of the boot.

Video is being uploaded to Youtube. I was able to get most of my second run before the go pro died.

Cheers; Mike

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
6/9/15 6:06 a.m.

Link to Track Video. The camera ran out of space on this one so we only have 2/3's of the session. It was probably my best run of the weekend and second in the higher run group.

corsepervita
corsepervita New Reader
6/17/15 4:05 p.m.

Yay for more 924 geeks! The last pics in your last post and link to track video aren't showing up for me, or am I crazy?

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
6/17/15 5:08 p.m.

He needs to get the URL of the file to post the pic.

For Example:

She looks good! Prop-rod powers unite!

corsepervita
corsepervita New Reader
6/17/15 5:17 p.m.
turboswede wrote: She looks good! Prop-rod powers unite!

How's that prop rod going "bruh" :P

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
6/23/15 9:40 a.m.

The car is running great. Swapped the new front pads in last week. I looked at the repair manual and will be replacing the rear shoes next. Just need to find the right size socket to remove the Castlenuts and then we will be good to go.

Were you guys ever able to see the video? Should I relink it?

Well here it is again anyway. 2nd Run on Sunday in Yellow

Cheers;

corsepervita
corsepervita New Reader
6/23/15 11:13 a.m.

4 lug with drums? 36mm if memory serves right. Also, huge breaker bar will help too :P

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
6/23/15 11:19 a.m.
corsepervita wrote: 4 lug with drums? 36mm if memory serves right. Also, huge breaker bar will help too :P

Well, you need a huge breaker for both 4 and 5-lug solutions :) Though you only need to remove the nuts when changing wheel bearings on the 5-lug cars. I think its about 250-300 ft-lb. So 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar with a piece of pipe.

corsepervita
corsepervita New Reader
6/23/15 11:24 a.m.
turboswede wrote:
corsepervita wrote: 4 lug with drums? 36mm if memory serves right. Also, huge breaker bar will help too :P
Well, you need a huge breaker for both 4 and 5-lug solutions :) Though you only need to remove the nuts when changing wheel bearings on the 5-lug cars. I think its about 250-300 ft-lb. So 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar with a piece of pipe.

A long ... long... piece of pipe. I suddenly don't miss my old drums.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
6/23/15 12:22 p.m.

The book indicates that I should be using 220 to 290 ft/lbs when putting the castlenut back on. Thank you for the socket size. I will run and get one shortly. As for the big, big bar. That is what my jack handle is for plus my breaker bar. I think I should be good to go.

Still need to get that 944 running though.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
6/23/15 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Mike924:

I had to use the 3/4" bar and a 6-foot piece of chain link fence post and I'm all of 200lbs. So yeah, it could be fun to get loose. Not bad to install though.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear about adventures in the 944 as well :)

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
7/5/15 9:31 a.m.

Yesterday I finally had time, tools and assistance to get into the rear drums. After continuous bleeding of the brakes, swapping out the front pads at the track last month and then another replacement of the front pads when I got home, the brakes were spongy and alright at best. A friend who is a regular at Watkins Glen with me sat me in his 944 and said, "This is how your brakes should be!". I always knew the brakes were not at their optimum, but I was always working to get them to where I knew they should be.

So we remove the castlenut and remove the brake drum. I take out one of the new shoes I have in a box, hold it up to the shoe that is currently on the car. Not much difference. In fact almost no difference at all. Here is the problem then. The rear brakes are not even being used!! I take off the passenger side and the same thing. I ell myself, I have all new springs and drum internals, I might as well replace all those so that I know they are good. Then I try to adjust the shoes. Nothing. No go. The adjusters only work on one side of each drum. This is why I have crappy brakes. With a screw driver and a hammer, and lots of wd-40, I get the adjustors working. I put the drums back on. The drums look good, so no change needed there. I put the drums back on. Do some more adjustments from the back of the brakes. Step on the pedal ........ And We Have Brakes. The way the brakes should be. Sweet. I turn the car on. Step on the brake pedal and it is as good as it was with the car off. Sweet.

Now I cannot wait to take the 924 back to the track. It needs a real test.

Winston
Winston HalfDork
7/5/15 11:10 a.m.

I bet that feels like a huge victory! At some point I get to deal with drum brake voodoo on my Spitfire...

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
7/6/15 7:45 a.m.

It is the small victories that make it all worth while. The hardest part was getting that castlenut broken free on each side. But once it got moving, we were well on the way. I think I am going to need to make a special couple of lug bolts to hold the brake drum still when removing the nut next time. I flattened some of the threads on the bolts I had to use. Good thing was they are not at a point where they enter into the brake drum to hold the wheels on.

I think my next project on the 924 will be to remove the hand brake and try to untwist the cable so that it will work again. Any tips or tricks for that guys?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pS1jof3mTuPnGTgG7kQvxa4yE2CzRjuYLpyTyJbMoaoTqDLYVgOMAtR6hHL1UC3T