6 7 8
hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
6/11/17 4:34 p.m.

I'll dig through some boxes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
6/12/17 6:17 a.m.

What are those seat covers? They look pretty damn good, as covers go.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
6/12/17 6:28 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: What are those seat covers? They look pretty damn good, as covers go.

They are definitely nicer than auto store covers, good heavy canvas material and well made. Sold on ebay here http://stores.ebay.com/LONESTAR-TREASURES1

Based out of TX, but internet searching says they are an importer from China. I do know that they will do custom requests as these usually have the jeep logo stitched in the headrest and SWMBO did not want that so they made them without for me.

java230
java230 SuperDork
6/12/17 10:34 a.m.

That turned out really nice! I vote no tire cover too.

And on the wheel locks.... These are cheap and work really well, they are reverse cut threads, just hammer away with an impact and they bit in and spin them off.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
7/8/17 4:39 p.m.

Finally got time to build the caliper mounts for the front of the trike. Been thinking on how to make these for awhile. I needed a bolt on design since I didn't want to mess with the chrome fork. As you can see although they are bolt on they spread their load along the fork evenly.

it was a bit more fiddly than originally anticipated, took some doing to get the everything in correct alignment with the rotor. I suspect I'll still have some tweaking to do once I get fresh brake pads. Got the rest of the system finished in mock up. Gotta tear it all back out and paint it then bleed the system but that's it for now.

For those that don't want to dig back through stuff (me either, dont blame ya) the front wheel was off a Kawasaki KZ1100 so I found a full brake system for one of those used for $40. The rotors bolted right to the wheel and I just needed new caliper mounts. I did also need to order new, longer brake lines since I have the extended fork. but the working bits of the thing are all just stock Kawi parts.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/27/18 9:10 p.m.

Long time no update.  Many changes in the fleet but the Jeep and Trike are still with me.  Trike has been off the road for the summer while I made a little change....Getting ready to put it back together in the coming weeks.

I cannot begin to describe the whole nightmare this has been.  This is 2nd attempt, first one was soured by a miscolored candy coat.  Didnt bother with the candy on the 2nd round, its a silver and black base, ALL the color comes from metal flake, there is no actual paint.  Its .025 monster flake so it took a LOT of time to bury it in clear, there are about 10 very heavy coats of clear on there.  Sanded back to 400 after the first 3 and back to 600 after the next 3.  But as you can see by the top of that fender, it was worth it ;)

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/27/18 9:43 p.m.

Are your designs in the basecoat?  The flake looks awesome.  

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
8/28/18 2:15 a.m.

Daaaaaang, that's a bitchin' purple.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/28/18 6:02 a.m.
Patrick said:

Are your designs in the basecoat?  The flake looks awesome.  

Yes that is correct, all the graphics work was done in the base before the flake went on.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/28/18 6:14 a.m.

I wish i could have you do a challenge car like that. But the material alone would probably eat the whole budget. 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/28/18 6:30 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I wish i could have you do a challenge car like that. But the material alone would probably eat the whole budget. 

Sadly true, flake is stinking expensive and there's a little over a pound of it on there.  I do have some left over so it might make a nice graphic element on something rather than a full paint job.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/28/18 6:48 a.m.

My warped dream is a flaked, laced, pearled, traditional custom body modded pro street something with a tunnel ram. Again, pipe dream for challenge.

But your paint decisions are definitely my language!!!!

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/28/18 6:58 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

My warped dream is a flaked, laced, pearled, traditional custom body modded pro street something with a tunnel ram. Again, pipe dream for challenge.

But your paint decisions are definitely my language!!!!

Most of those effects you could get on a budget.  Heck, for challenge money use craft glitter as flake :)   Just test to make sure it doesnt melt in the clear first.
Originally I was going to go much more traditional on the trike, with the lace and more of an old school paneled look.  But I learned some things on my first attempt and got some ideas that kinda lead to this design instead.  It has some cues from the old school stuff but isn't trying to be anything else.  (bottom line is I lack the time/patience/talent to do that stuff but some day I might on another vehicle)

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/31/18 8:38 a.m.

The Jeep got a little update too.  Last fall fellow forum member Duke shot me a message on FB with a steering wheel for sale in one of his local autox groups.  Not being in a jeep frame of mine at the time my first thought was "WTF? That thing is just...unusual"  But then my wife saw the photo and immediately said JEEP (for those who havent followed along she has hibiscus flowers ghosted into the paint)   So I picked it up from a seller who seemed quite happy to see it go and finally got around to installing it in the jeep.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/22/18 1:41 p.m.

As the french would say  Fin.

Well not really, there are still little things here and there but we're back to riding as of today.   There's one more little surprise but I cant post those photos until later today.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/22/18 2:04 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Yes!!!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/22/18 3:59 p.m.

Is that a shift lever coming out of the left side? 

Where are the clutch and brake controls? 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/22/18 4:03 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yes, VW transaxle and engine.  Its not operated like a motorcyle (not really like a car either)  I posted it way back in here somewhere but basically its like this

Right hand, throttle and front brake.  

Left hand shifting, standard H pattern flipped on its side.

Right foot, rear brakes

Left foot clutch.

There's a bit of a learning curve/adjustment to ride one of these.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/22/18 6:27 p.m.

One final little update, had to wait for sunset to get the good photos :)

And for a little added safety they are wired into the brake circuit so even if the accent lights are off everything goes red on braking

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/22/18 6:34 p.m.

That's awesome!

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
9/22/18 8:00 p.m.

Very cool.

6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u9PjUmiOkgbGVPIFfmUOyVMF4lw9drSeHKAEfCMrTxYMZMGbS746Y5eBwZUW4v2l