1 2
DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
12/7/15 10:03 p.m.
aaronbleop wrote:
DaewooOfDeath wrote: For that power you'd either have a timebomb KA24 with a turbo, a slightly less timebomb SR20DET or a V8 swap, which would probably be the cheapest, best option at that point.
What do you know about VH45DE swaps?

Sounds like a less powerful, heavier LS1 swap with almost zero aftermarket support.

I'd really recommend a mild turbo on the KA24, but only after you sort the suspension.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
12/7/15 10:11 p.m.
aaronbleop wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: But most importantly - which do you WANT to build? Because that's what's going to provide your motivation.
I won't know which until I drive both cars.

There's your answer. And don't be afraid to widen your search. Drive a Camaro, an MR2 and a BMW E36. Have fun and don't rush your search.

A lot of stuff I would never guess turned out being really fun (third gen Camaro, MR2, early 80s Corolla, Acura Integra) and a lot of the stuff I thought I'd like (Mustang Cobra, Corvette C4, WRX, BMW Z3) turned out to kind of suck. At least, to me, completely subjectively.

dj
dj Reader
12/8/15 1:56 p.m.

A lot of these cars are going to be fun stock and just get better starting with good tires, brakes, and bolt ons. I'd strongly recommend not doing an engine swap as it is a huge pita and will lead to your car being inoperable for months to years in many cases. I know, it's supposed to take a couple days but once you start a big project things break and it's too late to go back. I also wouldn't go straight to bolting on a turbo until you have a solid plan, budget, and help to get it done while still being able to afford the project costing 3x what you thought and taking even more time to finish.

Best wisdom I've received is find the car you like by doing as many different test drives as possible. Maybe you want something faster and more modern than you thought or you prefer things older and more unique. You won't know till you try them all out.

You'll save money in the long run buying a stock daily driver vs someone's project. If you start off just maintaining the car instead of upgrading you'll get a baseline feel for the car and understand what each upgrade changes as you go. You also won't have a beater falling apart with some expensive parts thrown on it.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
12/9/15 6:05 a.m.

If you don't think a built 240SX is fast enough, you should probably check the lap times from this past weekend's Chump race at Laguna Seca...

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
12/9/15 10:39 a.m.

In reply to aaronbleop:

So it sounds like you are looking for a project that will be an opportunity to learn by experience as you do an engine swap or turbo project rather than just a fun car that you can drive.

This is a good goal but keep in mind that it's all to easy to lose motivation on a first project because it just sits in the garage. I think it's a lot more fun to have a project that you can wrench on and improve while still enjoying it.

I'm in the same place as you, having some skills and tools but I've gone to the "next level" of a real engine swap or boost project. I also would like to do that just so I can learn from the experience. After experiencing a few false starts on projects: I'll offer two bits of advice:

First thing: Hopefully this won't be the only project you ever do. So if you end up building a turbo Miata don't feel like you're missing out on the opportunity to swap an engine into a Nissan. You can always do that some other time.

Second thing: Keep it fun. If your goal is truly to learn while building a fun weekend car there's no need to get caught up in building it to specific hp numbers, lap times, and track only stuff like a roll cage. Start with a project plan that you know will be realistic yet challenging for you to accomplish and that the end result will be something you will use. Then take it one step at a time. Also, if autocross is in the picture remember you might also want to keep classing rules in mind while planning the project.

For what it's worth, I think both cars are good options. That choice just comes down to which one you like more. Follow your heart As others have said a good plan for either car would be start with suspension improvements and then start thinking about adding a turbo, whether that would be a kit or parts sourced from a junkyard. That would probably net you as much fun and learning as you could want.

Personally, I would go with a Miata because it would be (probably) easier to find a good one and I know that Flyin' Miata is a great resource (with a good presence on this awesome forum) so finding a quality kit and reliable information wouldn't be a struggle. Also, I happen to think convertibles are cool.

Have fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing which direction you decide to take.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wtvk7O0XcmGC2YhakUBNRBk4khguLt0q1OjIarc692soX5qvxSHtA4nHVPYMu8j7