1 2 3 4 5
NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
4/14/20 9:57 p.m.

Nice place!!!

My most expensive mistake?

Getting Married . . . . . . . . . . I'll see myself out.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
4/15/20 8:38 a.m.

Trying to find the mistake, looks more like a win to me. Waiting to see how it turns out, good luck on the project.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/15/20 8:55 p.m.

Ever seen a hard plastic, accordion style shower "curtain"?

Dana has requested it go away. I'm 90% sure I'll just put up a shower curtain, but could the sliding hard style doors use the same track?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/15/20 9:07 p.m.
NGTD said:

Nice place!!!

My most expensive mistake?

Getting Married . . . . . . . . . . I'll see myself out.

Just remember, divorces are expensive. Because they're worth it. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/15/20 9:51 p.m.
RevRico said:

Dana has requested it go away. I'm 90% sure I'll just put up a shower curtain, but could the sliding hard style doors use the same track?

Yes! We had one in the house I grew up in, which my parents had built in 1976. Someone will pay money for that. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/16/20 7:49 a.m.
RevRico said:

I have never seen such a thing! No idea on the sliding doors, I dislike the look of those as well. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/16/20 11:30 a.m.

Well, yeah; but if you paired it with these .....

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/16/20 11:44 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
FuzzWuzzy said:

Congrats!

But don't be surprised to see your local CU sell your loan to Wells Fargo in a month or so.

Happened to me.  Fortunately, nothing bad to report in the 2 years since it was sold.

Or find a small local bank.  Long story, but one of the reasons we ended up refinancing my house many years ago to the bank we used is because they never sell they loans.  We had two mortgages with them (my mother's house first and then mine), both paid off some years ago.

The house looks nice - I'm also jealous of the garage space. 

Wall ovens are definitely not cheap.  We looked at them a long time ago when my ex- was renovating. Ended that line of thinking real quick.  Of course, the island-compatible slide-in stove (not a stand-alone) she did end up with was eye-watering as well. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/16/20 7:59 p.m.

My most expensive mistake was taking out two bundles of fiber optics digging a sign foundation in Hyde Park twenty years ago. Oops!

This doesn't look like a mistake at all!

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/19/20 5:39 p.m.

so this happened today. It's not perfect, and I have questions, but its way better than the carpet that was in there.

Since home depot employees are more useless now than ever before, which I didn't think was possible, I need pointed in the right direction. Every employee in my local store is now milling around those worthless berkeleying self check outs. Not stocking shelves, not collecting berkeleying carts so people can shop, not being their usual idiots in the wrong section that they know nothing about, just helping everybody use the self checkout.

What sort of joint/union/covering should I look for for this end in the doorway?

And what can I get away with doing here by the radiator as an ending point? Handful of nails? Special piece of trim?

Clearly I need to tap the pieces together again a little (lot) better, but I got distracted by the sound of running water.

That half inch cap? Yea, it was a foot over in the driveway and water was pouring out at a good clip.

The neighbor, who I met for the first time today, told me there used to be a house trailer here and the connections are still in the driveway, well, yes they are, and berkeley am I happy we were there working when this happened. 

So I'm going to extend the pvc up out of the ground and cap it again, into I can find the knob for it. Although, I can't get water from the hose out here so this might turn into the hose connection if it had too. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/19/20 6:00 p.m.

The door, you just need a door jamb strip. Basically the same as that brass one that's already there, but slightly wider. I'm guessing they eyeballed it before because the bathroom had carpet. 

As far as the gap- a stick of quarter round would do the job fairly well. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/19/20 8:52 p.m.

Couple options. for the door, you want a threshold. it can be a wider aluminum strip like you have now, or they also sell wood ones you can stain & clear to match your door trim. 

If you have (or may have) kids, a taller threshold helps keep spilled water in the bathroom and not running into the hallway. 

As far as the other end with the heater - i take it this is a "floating floor" - you want trim board or moulding that will be attached to the wall, yet allow the floor to expand / contract a bit underneath it. It looks like the gap gets wider to the left. I can't tell if you already have something under the heater, or fi that's a part of the heater. But something like this should do:

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Pvc-Trim-board--Appearance-boards-Lumber-composites-Building-supplies/4294402499?refinement=4294965352,3451176595

I chose PVC because, again, it should stand up better to moisture in a bathroom. You can trim the bottom edge on a table saw (or use a jigsaw and a straightedge) or just mount it flush to the floor and angled above. If you want to avoid nails, a bead of Liquid Nails about an inch from the top to stick it to the wall should do the trick. 

However - if the PVC would be attached directly to the heater, check the max heat on the heater and the temperature rating of the PVC. That could be an issue where you may want to remove the heater from the wall, then replace it after the floor is in place. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/19/20 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) :

Right on, I'll look for those at the local places. There's nothing under the heater right now, and the room isn't square, so the gap does shift a bit side to side. 

Of course last year when I had a dumpster at the house I threw away the quarter round I hadn't used in 15 years. That's what I get for throwing something away.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/21/20 1:38 p.m.

hey look at that. Great reason why at least one hose isn't working outside. Of course I opened the valve before noticing it was disconnected, but only for a second. 

At least I found the knob for the driveway leak. Which is good because I threw out all my CPVC fittings after I redid my laundry room 10 years ago, and turns out that's what they used. But the knob is ziptied shut now, and I'll be cutting the pipe out at some point. 

daeman
daeman Dork
4/21/20 5:58 p.m.

For your joint between the carpet and plank, when I did mine I used something like the two items below. If hd or Lowe's don't have it, a carpet or tile supplier should. It'd let you ditch the brass strip so you don't have two strips right next to each other

Joint strip and Edge cap

For the plank near the radiator, if there's clearance to the wall underneath it, you could measure and cut strips of plank so they're a snug fit. Slide them in under the radiator first and then install the second last row. That way if the radiator is ever changed, removed, etc you've got the same flooring all the way to the wall.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/22/20 6:07 p.m.

I picked up a 2 inch threshold and some quarter round, then got distracted because someone is lending me a carpet scrubber this weekend and I have other messes to make. 

I replaced the non functioning ceiling fan in the living room today, no pictures of that particular project. Then got to my favorite of activities, ceiling tile!

Now admittedly, this is the worst of it. There were stains and broken bits and peeling caching though so I wound up just replacing it all, except the piece holding the ceiling fan.

Probably a good thing to, because the duct wasn't even connected to the vent. And now I'm curious about the rest of them but am NOT tearing up drywall to look at them. 

I even let the 12 year old ummm, stepchild I guess,  get in on the fun since its her bedroom anyway. 

Is about 85% done now. Customs for the back back, the AC vent, and the corner piece need done yet. 

I traced the old corner piece twice, both times it was wrong when I tried to put it up. 

The garbage people are going to love me come Monday. Maybe I'll just have them bring me a 10yd dumpster, I'm gonna need it anyway. 

Up next is borrowing an inspection camera to figure out how to hook up the hoses, then the ceiling tile in the basement. At least I won't need a ladder for those. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/25/20 2:16 a.m.

That corner was the worst part. 5 tiles, half a freaking pack, to get it right. Turned out it's only 47.5", unlike everything else on that entire side that's 48"  

No pics yet, but I got the quarter round under the radiator, the threshold covering the tile/carpet joint, and fresh caulking in the shower. I still need to install the shower light, clean up the caulking, and hang the shower curtain, and fluid master in the toilet. With Dana carpet scrubbing, the upstairs is otherwise done, minus furniture. 

I have to handle landscaping some more this weekend, then I get to start on the first floor. Ceiling tile, carve an archway for my head at the bottom of the steps, figure out the hose plumbing, new toilet and shower curtain in the bathroom, and tighten up the banister somehow. 

When that's done, it's time for internet, furniture, stocking the kitchen.

Long range projects in no particular order:

• Rip out the holly in front of the house
  • Replumb the lower level
  • Turn flower beds into garden patches
  • Chicken coop
  • Clear the brush and fill the holes around the shed
  • New insulation and ceiling in detached garage
  • Do something with the E36 M3ty wallpaper and bad paint
  • Hire joy to redo the tile in the bathroom

That's at least the list of stuff we're hoping to get done over the next year or two or ten, depending on which one of us you ask.

But it still feels good actually crossing stuff off a to do list for a change

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/25/20 9:53 p.m.

I'm digging the new trimmer. It's a bit heavy without a shoulder strap, but it made quick work of all the garden boxes and hedges. The pole saw attachment got off to a great start on the crap on the side of the steel shed before it sucked in a chunk of wire. 

I ripped out the rotten wood fence and bent up metal fence that came off the patio and went up to the ties so I could mow easier. Made things look a lot better, and of course, forgot to take pics. 

Dana steam cleaned the upstairs again, every room has been done twice now and the water is fairly clear, so safe to say, the floors are as clean as they'll ever be. This also means while I'm still working in the bathrooms and needing to work on the first floor, we're shopping for furniture, and can actually start moving things in. 

The plumbing is starting to annoy me. Any time I shut a branch off, water pours out of the overflow on the hot water tank. Possibly vacuum related, possibly something else. Things have been patched and spliced so much through the years, it's going to take me months to straighten everything out. I'm NOT redoing the whole house, at least not all at once, but I'm definitely going to start simplifying things once we're living there. 

Indoor work begins again tomorrow or Monday, install the new toilet, finish cleaning the caulking, shower curtain and light. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/26/20 12:33 a.m.

Oh yes, how could I forget this. The berkeleying garage door opener. 

It's a 4 year old 1/2hp Chamberlain myq. Today, after working fine for the past 2 weeks, it decided it didn't want to close anymore. In addition to that, it reversed past it's stop screw and was bashing itself off the beam across the ceiling.

The refusal to close may be a bumped floor sensor, as one light is yellow but one is green, while the other opener both are green. 

But the slamming past it's "up" stop, that worries me and I can't find much in my searching online.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
4/26/20 9:03 a.m.

I hate drop ceilings.  We had one in our basement when we bought the house.  When we eventually were able to redo the basement that was on the top of our list to be replaced with dry wall. 

Wish I had the garage space you do, my next house will have a large detached shop...

preach
preach Reader
4/26/20 9:38 a.m.

My back apartment has a drop ceiling, so add me to the haters. When we retiled, after a heavy smoking tenant I painted the straps prior to putting the new tiles up. Sometimes I'm smart...

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/26/20 3:44 p.m.

Disgustingly wet and rainy day in SWPA today, so we went shopping for the kitchen. Starting to look like a real house now. Kitchenaid pro mixer, Martha Stewart puts and pans, her keurig machine, and probably $250 worth of spices and ingredients. Barely made a dent in the cabinet space, but all the shelves are set like a half inch too low for the containers of stuff we got. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/27/20 9:51 p.m.

well the side of the shed is chopped down. For now, that crap will grow back with a vengeance in no time. I'm probably going to salt it. 

I got my new throne installed in my bathroom. I was slightly concerned because the footprint is bigger than the opening in the flooring, but no water leaks. I might need to do some caulking around the base because I'm getting a smell, but that could just be from the hour the drain was open. 

This is my next major project. Everything had been pieced together and bandaged, a lot of the knobs drip, it takes forever to get hot water upstairs, and things are very confusing. The problem I'm going to run into is the concrete ceiling. But I'm going to start small with direct lines and work out. 

I'm going to need to dig this out and install a French drain because I'm getting water in the garage. Not happy, not excited, can't afford to rent equipment. The 12 year old is going to get a hell of a workout this summer, that's for sure. 

any ideas what these are? I kinda like them.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/28/20 9:25 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Please DO NOT caulk in "bad smells" from the toilet. That's how you end up with a years long undetectable sewage leak and rotten subfloor and structural framing. The toilet should be leak free and smell free without any caulking. All sealing takes place at the flange with the wax ring and if it's not sealing there something is wrong. You might need a tall wax ring, or it might be something else.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
4/28/20 12:14 p.m.

Fellow old-and-slightly-janky home owner here.  We have the exact hot water heater timer as you.  I will say 3 things about it- 

1) They keep excellent, ridiculously, almost unbelievable time.  It hasn't departed from the 10min increments in 4+ years of home ownership, likely longer. 

2) There will come a time when your normal routine is broken and you need more than a tank's worth of hot water at off-times.  The first few times, it's not more than an inconvenience.  The next few will be freaking annoying, and around the 8th or 9th time, you're gonna lose your berking mind and everyone in the household is going to laugh at your meltdown. Then you'll set it back to always on.

3) about 4-5 months after you leave it constantly on, you look at your utility bills and realize that you aren't paying any more money than you were when it was set to cycle off and on during sleeping hours, further angering you because you've taken a cold shower at 4am before coffee and in a rush...

Otherwise, sweet mistake!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
88TKcTDZx1xZ2Ju6zDufwHgCzAdHzPsdL2sCa5v34lIvo0RUL37S6yBvCQwQ8kZy