5 6 7
RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
7/31/21 4:49 p.m.

Anyone have any Agent Orange hiding in a corner? I gotta do something about this vegetation. I just don't know what.

Way too much for a backpack sprayer. Maybe a paint sprayer full of saltwater?

I can almost keep up with it in the spring, then it will rain for a week and it just takes over everything. 

Buried in that mess are some delicious black raspberry bushes. I'm going to try to move them next year to somewhere more accessible.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/1/21 8:53 a.m.

Speaking of next year, I've made some garden decisions, and this is more for my documentation.

CUT BACK THE NUMBER OF TOMATOES. 8 total 6 of which should be Roma for sauce, not berkeleying 24 again. 

poblanos were crap, sugar rush peach peppers were crap. More Grande jalapeno, way more mini bell, blot, and Chinese 5 color. 

STAKE YOUR DAMN PEPPERS

Less tomatillo. 4 is plenty.

bush watermelon to INDIVIDUAL 10 gallon pots.  would have been fine maybe solo in a 5 gallon but two in a 5 was the wrong answer.

pumpkins, see watermelon. Also, keep wetter

Actually plant your beets

And most importantly USE SOME SORT OF WEED GUARD. ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT BECAUSE, HEY DUMMY, YOU TILLED A METRIC TON OF SEEDS INTO THE SOIL WHEN YOU MULCHED THE PLANTS.‚Äč

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
8/2/21 11:03 a.m.

Big cardboard boxes are an effective weed guard. Plus, they're biodegradable.

I'm also a member of the 'WTF were they thinking' old house club.

In my case, the paneling (early 80s bleached lauan  mahogany that was this loathsome brown-gray color with a green tinge) was on top of wallpaper. Or fabric. Or wallpaper that was printed to look like fabric. Or homasote (drywall made out of compressed newspapers). Or newspapers. Or sheets of tin. Or some mixture of all the above, depending on which wall of which room you were in.

The wife and I rented a dumpster and all the paneling and all the crap underneath it went in the dumpster. The molding around the doors and windows went too, it was splintered, beat to hell, and poorly 'fixed'. Also was covered in many layers of lead paint.

I had a stack of drywall panels in my living room for a few years. I used it as a couch.

I'm never buying an old house again.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/4/21 7:27 p.m.

starting to ripen up

The blot peppers are about ready

buena mulatta, they'll turn red when they're ready, but good and hot now

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/8/21 12:49 p.m.

supposed to wait till they fall off the vine

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/13/21 10:11 a.m.

my watermelon vines kinda died, so I've got a handful of 4 inch watermelon. 

Growing so many more of these next year. Almost too sweet to eat even tiny, I can't wait for full sized ones. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/14/21 9:14 a.m.

Had the wedding at the house yesterday. Things went well. Canyonero did shuttle duty, storm held out until after the food was done, no fights, everybody had a good time. Then I ran the numbers.

Marriage license $70

Pig, stuffed with kielbasa, full foil roaster Cole slaw, 2 full size roasters of mac n cheese, big roaster of salad, buns, sauce $750

100 cheesecake cupcakes $250

24 regular cupcakes $50

Bartender $100.

I'm not counting alcohol because I used the liquor cabinet, didn't buy anything specifically for the wedding. 

How do other people spend so much?

Feel like the carport at the old house would have been problematic when the rain came, despite being bigger than the patio. Especially when the hail came, because 90 berkeleying degrees, of course it's hailing(?!?). Having the big truckstop right up the street made parking easier, but I've had more vehicles here at one time in the past. We just used it to keep the lower driveway open for the pig guys. 

The only picture of us was after we signed the paperwork, and it hasn't been sent to me yet. 

No dances, never actually turned the stereo on, no speeches, no nothing. Simple and easy. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/16/21 7:26 a.m.

Congrats!

My wife managed to keep our wedding right around 2k for almost 200 people. It's amazing how much you can save if you do it right. Neither of us ever saw the sense in big money weddings, simple and cheap works great. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
8/16/21 6:54 p.m.

Congratulations Rev!

and well done on a real experience versus a big show. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/21/21 11:05 a.m.

we had a wedding caricature done in Lancaster in lue of an actual wedding photo. It's now framed on the mantle.

The chickens are all finally laying. Came home to 26 eggs. Now pulling 7 a day. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
8/21/21 7:48 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

That is cool. Better than any photo.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/21/21 8:06 p.m.
RevRico said:

we had a wedding caricature done in Lancaster in lue of an actual wedding photo. It's now framed on the mantle.

The chickens are all finally laying. Came home to 26 eggs. Now pulling 7 a day. 

That's awesome!

The wife and I have the wedding party running away from a t-rex for one of our photos lol

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/26/21 1:22 p.m.

the pumpkins are taking over everything the weeds haven't claimed. Vines over 20 feet, with 4 to 6 starters showing on each

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
10/1/21 9:21 p.m.

Got new led patio lights for the wedding and finally got around to hanging them. Way better than I anticipated, way better than the lamps on the wall. 48 foot strip, 15 bulbs. I really need to put a gfi out there, but that really would require rewiring the basement and that's just not financially doable right now. 

Still trying to install the water filter on the kitchen sink. I need an adapter from 3/8" FIP to 3/8" weird grey tubing. Guess what fitting I can't find at the plumbing store? I've tried using compression fittings on it and can't make them stop leaking, barbs don't fit the tubing properly. I don't want to buy a new faucet, but I might wind up doing just that. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
10/2/21 4:56 p.m.

poblanos

Grande jalapeno

Orange spice jalapeno

buena mullatta

Chinese 5 color

sugar rush peach.

I chopped all the pepper plants today. Keep in mind, I've pulled 10 gallon Ziploc bags of peppers already this season. My salt guy was a no show, so I'm making hot sauce this week.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
10/2/21 5:04 p.m.

Great update Revrico. I'm convinced if we interviewed homeless blue tent squatters , 1/3 would answer " it was either this or get another fixer-upper" . Still recovering from mine. The initials of fixer-upper should warn everyone "F.U."

5 6 7
Our Preferred Partners
I30GwIplzaAwKfYM4nytrfqF8hioHLkgkrsc9M0pEQVzN4wmwgRjfIvAo4Wp7zM7