1 2 3 4
759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/19/18 10:07 p.m.

Dwyte..... both the wife and I  are  BACK PAIN HONKS.....SWMBO's has had way more surgery(and still in pain)than me ,therefore do these seats provide lower lumbar...support, massage,heat, uh anything else??? 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/19/18 10:21 p.m.

759NRNG,

i had back surgery 12 years ago.  These seats have been very comfy for me.

lumbar adjustments, heat, cooling.  No massage tho...

SPORTCHRONO
SPORTCHRONO Reader
1/19/18 11:54 p.m.

Congrats on the new Cayenne. I love these things...drove one back to back with an S Hybrid and it pulled so smooth...

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/20/18 12:03 a.m.

I had a new base cayenne as a loaner when the dealer put in my trailer brake controller.  Hated it, lol!  Nowhere near the power and smoothness of my diesel.  Honestly I feel the two Cayenne's to buy are either the diesel, or the turbo.  Skip all the others.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/21/18 9:10 a.m.

Finally made it through the first tank of gas.  Went 595 miles before the gas light popped on, which is nutty to me.  Combined mileage, with my commute, (mostly city) plus a trip to Vail with the ski rack on the roof was 27mpg.  Or precisely double the mileage my last Cayenne Turbo got me for the same type of driving.

Granted, this Cayenne is almost 300hp down compared to that one, but still, the efficiency makes up for it.  I did order the BlueSpark for it, which is supposed to add 60hp/100ft/lbs, so at that point it'll be putting out the same hp/torque as the older V10 TDI's did.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/4/18 11:42 a.m.

Update!  I had the front windows tinted to match the back ones.  I debated tinting the entire truck, but then it would've been too dark for me.  Funny how my tastes have changed, 20 years ago I wouldn't have given it another thought and done the 20% tint.  Now I find it hard to see out 20% tinted windows at night, so 35% is the way to go.

I also managed to sell my old Cayenne winter floor mats, summer floor mats, cargo mat and stock secondary cat pipes.  Woohoo! 

Used that cash to order a Lloyd's cargo mat and some other goodies for the new truck.  Unfortunately, the Lloyds mats are made to order, so I'm still waiting for it to show up.

I also need to figure out how to mount a front license plate.  Luckily the dealer didn't drill the front bumper cover of my truck, so no holes.  The street my office is on is heavily patrolled by meter maids and they're quite happy to hand out $75 no front plate tickets.  After a bit of research, I ordered the US Mill Works front plate mount, it attaches to the front tow hook receptacle.

Lastly I'm debating on a tune.  Malone Tuning is a well known VAG diesel tuner and their flash tune adds +100hp and +120lb/ft, so 340hp/525ft lbs.  They have an OBD2 flash loader that makes it simple to switch between the tuned file and stock.  I'm currently waiting on a '16 Cayenne Diesel owner to get his tune from them and report back...

Went through another tank of gas, 25.5mpg!  Not bad, that included another trip to Vail.  Just got back from Vail last night, truck gets 34mpg on the way down, got 24mpg on the way up.  Looks like I'm going to get 27-28mpg out of this current tank.  Crazy!

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
2/4/18 2:17 p.m.

This brick is pulling those numbers!?!??! the tune.........DO IT!!!

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/5/18 3:59 p.m.

Yeah, I got 31-32mpg today driving around town.  Truly unbelievable gas mileage for an SUV.  The tune seems like it'll really transform the truck.  I mean, +100hp/120ft lbs should be a very noticeable difference.

I'm waiting to hear back from the other Cayenne owner, apparently he had to send his ECU to Malone for tuning.  Since the '15, '16 TDI's are basically "new" on the market, Malone didn't have a base file for it.  Hopefully my '15 ECU is the same as his '16 ECU and I'll be able to just flash tune mine.  I also want to hear his impressions before I pull the trigger...

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
2/5/18 8:40 p.m.

Dwyte, how many gallons is that tank ? What does this 'Pepper' weigh???

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/6/18 8:40 a.m.

Tank is 26.8 gallons.  So if I went on a road trip and got 30mpg (which is possible, I'm practially getting that in my mixed commute), that's a 780 mile range with just about a gallon left in the tank.

Pepper weighs a bit over 5000lbs, 5200lbs I think.  Gross vehicle weight is over 6000lbs tho.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
2/6/18 10:23 a.m.

I have a sneaking suspicion  that Porsche isn't exactly giving these away correct?

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/6/18 11:14 a.m.

Well, not really.  I got it for 30% off of new tho, and its now got 19,xxx miles on it with a 3.5 year/100k mile warranty on it.

The Touareg's were going for about $10-12k less, for a '16 with the same miles and warranty coverage.  I was convinced I was going to buy the Touareg, I like the way they look more and $10-12k is a lot of money to save on what I thought was basically the same truck.

Turns out the Cayenne drives much better than the Touareg.  Nicer interior, better ride, handling, transmission shifting, etc.  This is the newest vehicle I've bought in many years, so I kinda treated myself.  Plus I think it'll hold its value better than the VW.

But you could certainly get most of the Cayenne experience for less cash with the Touareg...

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 New Reader
2/6/18 2:41 p.m.

What kind of trailer do you plan to tow with this one? I met a guy when I was selling my E46 M3 who used a same-generation Cayenne to pull a 24' enclosed with his Spec E46 (?) inside. He claimed it pulled well with weight distribution bars, but I have a 20' enclosed and wouldn't want to go any bigger with my full-size Range Rover, which is similar in wheelbase to the Touareg/Cayenne twins.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/6/18 3:46 p.m.

I pull a Featherlite 3110 open aluminum trailer.  However a friend pulled his 24' enclosed trailer with one for years and said it did fine. 

Cayenne has a tow rating of 7700lbs, with a 770lb tongue weight.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
2/6/18 4:09 p.m.

Are the used ones I'm seeing on Atrader what someone can expect price wise.....low to mid 60's???

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/6/18 4:13 p.m.

You should be able to get a '15's for mid to high 50's.  The '16's are in the low to mid 60's.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/9/18 10:30 a.m.

Ok, cargo mat got here from Lloyd's.  High quality, very thick, nice embroidery. Fit is close, but not perfect.  Need some warm/hot days here for it to lay flat.

Friend got the Malone tune on his 16 Cayenne Diesel and reports that it's awesome!  No issues with drivability, just lots more smooth power and torque.  Decisions, decisions...

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/9/18 6:30 p.m.

Decisions ??huh, pull the trigger .........life is short wink (just lots more smooth power and torque.)

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
2/12/18 8:07 a.m.

Doesn't sound like this is a decision that is too hard to make.

Might even get better MPG (as long as you can keep your foot out of it, which I know is asking a lot for most of us).

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/12/18 8:49 a.m.

Friend reports lower EGT's with the tune as well.  Says highway passing power is much improved...

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/20/18 9:10 a.m.

Had the most awesome DMV experience last Thursday afternoon, ever!  You can look at the wait times online here, so I chose the location with the shortest times (30-45minutes) and went there after work.

Walked in, got my number, looked at the board to see where I was.  I was the first number!  Sat down, got called seconds later.  No issues with the paperwork, everything was signed appropriately, I hadn't forgotten anything, etc.  Got my old plates transferred over with new stickers and was outta there in well under ten minutes.  Awesome!!!

Got home and put the plates on, since my front bumper cover hadn't been drilled for the OEM plate holder by the dealer I'd picked up a US Millworks front plate holder.  It screws into the front tow hook hole.  A little bit of playing around with which hole on the plate holder to use so my parking sensors didn't go batxxxx crazy and I was done.

Also, a friend happened to get the Malone Tune Flashzilla loader.  I was able to help him with the install process, which was easy.  Plug the Flashzilla (FZ) into the laptop and let it update.  Plug it into the SUV and read the stock tune, which also gets stored in the FZ.  Email the stock tune to Malone.  They email back the Stage 2 file.  Plug the FZ into your laptop and load the tune into the FZ.  Plug the FZ back into the SUV and upload the tune.  The tune took longer than I expected to load and all sorts of warning lights/buzzers go off while the tune is uploading.

All worked well tho.  Driving impressions!  This is how Porsche should've tuned it to begin with.  Feels like stock, just MORE everywhere.  More power, more torque.  Smooth everywhere, nice throttle tip in, no jerkiness, nothing.  Putting the SUV in "sport" mode and the truck really wakes up (throttle response is much, much better in sport mode) and it feels great.

Friend reports that fuel economy is unchanged.

Had some snow yesterday, roads were covered and slick today.  Freeway was a parking lot, so I took surface streets to work.  SUV has a distinct rear wheel drive bias, was fun to hang the tail out a bit, but the Hakka's would only do that when I provoked the truck.  Was passing people right and left, snow tires people!!

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/23/18 9:07 a.m.

So, update.  My wife was due a new car, she's been driving her Lexus GX470 for the last 6 years.  When I was looking, I offered to buy her a car and take over her Lexus for a bit.  She declined, said she was fine with driving it awhile longer. 

So, here we are 2.5 months later and she's not really ok driving her Lexus.  So last night after dinner, I handed her the "key" to the Cayenne.  Took her out to it, got her all set up, then cleaned all the crap out of the Lexus, which is now mine. 

Marital bliss indeed.  So, I need to move the trailer brake controller over from the Cayenne, plus add a tow hitch to the Lexus.  Luckily it already has a 7 pin trailer connection there, and is pre wired for a brake controller.  ETrailers even makes a plug n play harness for the trailer brake controller, no splicing necessary.  

Plan is to pay off the Cayenne, then I'll start looking for a replacement for the Lexus....

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/17/18 8:29 a.m.

So, update.  I put my old Cayenne Turbo S wheels/tires onto the car for the summer.  Unfortunately Porsche changed the tpms sensors between my 955 and the 958, so I had to buy 4 new tpms sensors and have them installed.

Then my wife told me there was a funny light on the dash.  Score one for her actually telling me about the light!  Turns out it was the AdBlue low level warning.  So I went to O'Reilly's and bought 5 gallons of DEF.  Put in about 3 gallons, light went off, truck seemed happy.

Wife called the next day saying the light was back on and it said only 200 miles of range.  WTF!  Told her to only drive it home.  Got home, put another gallon+ into the tank.  Light went off but now there's a CEL.  Read the codes, catalytic convertor codes and some other ones my generic reader can't decipher.  Hmm.  Clear them all.  Tell wife to tell me if the light pops back on again.

Few days later, light pops on again.  Ok, time to take it to the dealer, warranties are good.  I drive it to the dealer and notice it has really, really bad throttle lag.  Like hit the pedal and count to almost 3 before it'll start moving.

Dealer has it for a few weeks, wife is rocking one of their new Macans as a loaner.  Get it back, they replaced the EGT sensors and the catalytic convertor.  They also had several other Cayenne Diesels in their shop for the same issues as mine.

Seems like Porsche didn't really nail the "fix" tune, we'll see what happens here.  If the truck goes back 2 more times for the same type of issues, Porsche has to buy it back from us.  I bet there's going to be a software update or Porsche will be buying all of these back...

grover
grover HalfDork
7/17/18 10:39 a.m.
docwyte said:

So, update.  I put my old Cayenne Turbo S wheels/tires onto the car for the summer.  Unfortunately Porsche changed the tpms sensors between my 955 and the 958, so I had to buy 4 new tpms sensors and have them installed.

Then my wife told me there was a funny light on the dash.  Score one for her actually telling me about the light!  Turns out it was the AdBlue low level warning.  So I went to O'Reilly's and bought 5 gallons of DEF.  Put in about 3 gallons, light went off, truck seemed happy.

Wife called the next day saying the light was back on and it said only 200 miles of range.  WTF!  Told her to only drive it home.  Got home, put another gallon+ into the tank.  Light went off but now there's a CEL.  Read the codes, catalytic convertor codes and some other ones my generic reader can't decipher.  Hmm.  Clear them all.  Tell wife to tell me if the light pops back on again.

Few days later, light pops on again.  Ok, time to take it to the dealer, warranties are good.  I drive it to the dealer and notice it has really, really bad throttle lag.  Like hit the pedal and count to almost 3 before it'll start moving.

Dealer has it for a few weeks, wife is rocking one of their new Macans as a loaner.  Get it back, they replaced the EGT sensors and the catalytic convertor.  They also had several other Cayenne Diesels in their shop for the same issues as mine.

Seems like Porsche didn't really nail the "fix" tune, we'll see what happens here.  If the truck goes back 2 more times for the same type of issues, Porsche has to buy it back from us.  I bet there's going to be a software update or Porsche will be buying all of these back...

Yikes. With regards to the Lexus, we just bought a 2013 gx460- it’s a really nice place to spend time. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/10/18 11:17 a.m.

Truck has worked fine since the last dealer visit.  I've driven is sparingly, my wife drives it daily and she never really tells me anything, so I assume its fine.

Did an oil change on it last weekend, really hard to drain the oil out without it going everywhere.  If I remember I may buy and install one of those Fumoto oil drain valves.

Noticed a screw in the RR tire, tpms said it was 14psi low.  Sigh.  Wife needs to do better with paying attention to warning lights!  Of course the weather has changed here so all the tire places are jam packed, they were too busy to fix it.  So last night I got to swap the snow tires on instead.  I'll take this tire and drop it off at the tire place Friday morning for them to fix.

Need to replace the fuel filter and it'll be good to go for 5k on the oil and 10k on the fuel filter.  Porsche wants the fuel filters changed every 20k and the water sucked out of the fuel filter canister every 10k.  However you have to pull the fuel filter out to do that.  Since the fuel filters are cheap (under $25) it just makes sense to replace it every 10k...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EftF3MfO0VOk3AJ5a886kDXsNg0vgjddDT62a9NpkFYYpLuVxM3LsKi9bYtM1GIL