1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/11/20 8:53 p.m.

And when all else fails, go to the original source.

David S. Wallens
1/11/20 8:57 p.m.

My build and the influence (Januarly 1983 issue of BMX Plus!).

So, just my 2c because, yes, I had to obsess over this. smiley

David S. Wallens
1/11/20 9:03 p.m.

Here are those Haro pedals.

David S. Wallens
1/11/20 9:29 p.m.

Found it: my build thread.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/11/20 10:01 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Here are those Haro pedals.

Thanks, I think those might be perfect. I wish I could find matching brakes, but I have found any blue anodized 990s.

I'm keeping the more modern components though, I plan on riding(crashing) this thing. I would have preferred one of the later free retro Masters honestly, but it just didn't seem worth the $$ for something that's going to get used. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/13/20 11:20 a.m.

First box of parts just arrived. 

Unfortunately the second order hasn't shipped from that vendor yet. I called them first thing this morning & they're supposed to call me back, but no updates yet.  At least I can get started with these goodies. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/13/20 3:55 p.m.

Pegs & rear pads are on. Still no reply from Planet BMX about my order from them though. 

These clear Kool Stop Supra pads definitely work well on Tuffs, but aren't as binary as similar pads I've used on the aluminum rims of my trials bike. 

The pegs are aluminum & are super light. IIRC 7g each. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/16/20 6:05 p.m.

The front brake & levers arrived this morning, so I got them installed, along with the new bars & grips, at lunch today. Of course it started raining while I was working on it, but I rode it around the garage a couple minutes afterwards.

Overall I like it. The gyro & cables feel a bit worn & sloppy, so when I start adding some color to the bike I think they'll be on the list for replacement.

I also want to lower the bars a bit more. There's a 2.5mm spacer under the stem now that I could remove, but I may go for an inverted stem. Or possibly buy a longer(and lighter alloy) searpost. 

David S. Wallens
1/16/20 10:57 p.m.

Noice. 

David S. Wallens
1/20/20 8:47 p.m.

Pete, you need this.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/20/20 9:32 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Oh now that's berkeleying rad!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
2/8/20 2:33 p.m.

A friend of mine sent me a pair of old Primo tires he never used. They were filthy from being in his basement, but a quick scrub got them back to being blue at least. 

I've rode the bike a couple times in the driveway & despite how much I like the retro looks of the Tuffs I just can't stand how bendy & flexy they are. I've been browsing wheel sets, but haven't decided which ones to get. So I'm waiting to figure that out before I mount the new tires.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uoIHqJzwy8g1x8vjRS5ZVJLVEzGHXI6bo3hiwDPvC3TBd6M9Ce9XVq7oki1CLowP