1 2 3
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
1/31/23 3:48 p.m.

yeah, this looks awesome!  I'm in to watch.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
1/31/23 9:49 p.m.

Oh for god's sake.....

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/31/23 9:55 p.m.

Really cool!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/31/23 10:24 p.m.

I wish I had more time to hang out but the 4 hours of sleep I was running on wasn't going to allow that. Also, it was cold as E36 M3. 

I will be back for that crazy building weekend! I want to prove worthy of the extended BDT probationary status. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/1/23 1:01 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

It seems to me that grm has become the defacto home of lunatic fringe builds. We have this, the 360, mkes Ferrari, a gasser wartburg, a mid engine prelude.....

this space intentionally left blank

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/1/23 1:45 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

It seems to me that grm has become the defacto home of lunatic fringe builds. We have this, the 360, mkes Ferrari, a gasser wartburg, a mid engine prelude.....

this space intentionally left blank

I cannot list everything. Especially at a stoplight. Theres just too many.  Yours included l.

78CobraII
78CobraII Reader
2/2/23 2:07 a.m.

What a great project!

I watched the B Is For Build Mustang project and was amazed that they managed to get the proportions as close as they did. But they had to modify the chassis quite a lot to get there. Even then the passenger compartment looked to be a compromise and the wide-body kit helped hide some of their sins.

The C10 is a great solution to the odd mid-engined proportions of the race-car chassis.

I do like having the combustible bits on the outside of the passenger compartment too.

The guys building old F150's on top of Crown Vics have the shortening of the front of the bed pretty well worked out.

Following this one!

nocones
nocones PowerDork
2/2/23 9:41 p.m.

Glad to see so many people excited about this one.  No work this week yet, but this weekend I want to get things shuffled in the garage and get some parts weighed.

In the mean time I've been playing with some concepts for the body.  I'm sure like with the 360 there will be evolution here.  But this is unlikely to be a "sleeper" what with the removal of 3-6" of the bottom of the body, and the MID ENGINE, we we might as well lean into it a little.

The colors here are just random to see what different things look like on the truck.

And with some Hoon worthy livery.

NotSoSmart
NotSoSmart New Reader
2/2/23 9:58 p.m.

I really like this, the simple, original looking paint scheme with the obvious madness of what's going on underneath!

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
2/2/23 10:00 p.m.

Any thought of getting it running and driving with the current patina first?

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
2/2/23 10:03 p.m.
NotSoSmart said:

I really like this, the simple, original looking paint scheme with the obvious madness of what's going on underneath!

Agreed go with the original paint the it looks sharp and less common then the white and light blue 

nocones
nocones PowerDork
2/2/23 10:12 p.m.

It's possible it will wind up doing things with the current patina on some of it.  It's going to come down to how much of it gets ground off during modification and if it looks strange or not that way.  The fenders will need a healthy amount of work to make wheel openings that work with the ~10" drop that the wheels have to make.  It's not going to be on bags so the wheels have to have clearance.   The bed will have some zig zag lines in it from sewing it back together as well.   It's really going to be up to Joe on how he wants it to look when it starts to do events.  If he wants it painted it will go somewhere for paint.  

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
2/3/23 10:45 p.m.

I'm a little worried that the upright face of the front of the hood, the sharp radius to the hood top, and the short distance before the waterfall opening begins is going to encourage flow from the front of the car to detach over that section and then dump into the back side of the radiator... thus blocking the exit flow.

but, that's just a guess... and I don't have any CFD/modeling to prove it.  I realize, part of that is "going for the look".  But, I'd suggest leaving the hood longer (like half that opening) at first and doing some flow visualization to nibble back the opening as required?

most of the waterfalls that this seem to be inspired from are on GT3-ish cars that have more of a hood in front of them, and hoods that are angled more; so the flow is more likely to stay detached, afaik.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
2/4/23 1:20 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I understand your concern and you may be right that it's an issue. 

But I am intending to take advantage of the unique aspects of this front end and make some changes relative to a normal truck.

For one the radiator used by the SLC is very low in the chassis.  It's a thick multi core thing that fits in a aluminum duct that only goes about halfway up the grill.  Now we may need to add suplemental cooling to keep the truck cool, or move the radiator to the bed.  But..  Either way the intention is to leave the grill very open.  

The air above the bar will be directed up through those vents so the amount of air that has to "turn the corner" on the hood is going to be relatively small.  There will not be a ton of volume going up to make the hood bend and there will be plenty of air volume coming through those massive vents.  At least that's the idea.  Today.  For now.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
2/4/23 2:09 p.m.
nocones said:

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

The air above the bar will be directed up through those vents so the amount of air that has to "turn the corner" on the hood is going to be relatively small.  There will not be a ton of volume going up to make the hood bend and there will be plenty of air volume coming through those massive vents.  At least that's the idea.  Today.  For now.

ah, cool

I went back and looked at the earlier pictures, with what you described here.  It looks like the SLC chassis has the radiator mounted around 30deg.  I think, if you could tweak the mounting to closer to 45deg, that'd help tuck it behind the middle bar more.

with the upper grill feeding into the waterfall without restriction, what I'd suggest is that each waterfall side have "two tunnels" (ducts).  There'd be an "upper"/"front" tunnel that uses the upper grill flow and has a exit 60% the area of the upper grill opening (recall via bernoulli:  a1 > a2; then v2 > v1 and p2 < p1)... which will put a nice low pressure area right over the rear part of the waterfall and will help activate the exit flow of the radiator via the second "lower"/"rear" waterfall ducts.  Tilting the radiator more (and maybe moving it away from the front footbox structure) would also help the flow on the backside of the radiator feed up into the waterfall.

"imho" / "if it's not too much trouble / pita"

nocones
nocones PowerDork
2/13/23 2:51 p.m.

A shuffle of the garage to make space for both this and the LMP360 ment it was outside on the ground.   

The child in me couldn't resist putting all the body panels on and hacking up the bed sides a bit more so they would sit close.   

Obviously this is body parts on jackstands and 2*4s type fitment so panel alignment and gaps..   LOL.   But you get the idea.

And because it looks cool here it is without the body.   

It is likely it will be driveabile like this as the plan is to have the hood and fenders remove in 1 piece and the bed remove in some way also.

I should get some work done on this in two weeks.  This week I need to blow the 360 all appart to get started on it's Evolution and buy metal for the SLC-10.  

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/13/23 3:31 p.m.

I wish I had half your ability and motivation. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/13/23 3:47 p.m.

This truck is so cool. I am going to have come back a time or two as it evolves. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
2/16/23 6:06 p.m.

Berk yes. I have seen BifB mustang and thought that was a cool chassis, I didn't know there were others for sale! 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/17/23 9:08 a.m.

Panel gaps are off.

Swiften up.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
2/17/23 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

You're not wrong.  I still need to tweak them some.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
2/17/23 11:15 a.m.

I'm not sure if this is in the plan or if it is too much body cutting for this project but if the distance from rear wheel to back of bed was close to the distance from the rear wheel to the front of bed I think the proportions would be great. That would require sectioning maybe a foot of the bed side behind the wheel well. Just a thought. This is awesome, you are awesome. After giving this suggestions I will go back to making a spreadsheet and not working on the broken junk in my garage for weeks....

nocones
nocones PowerDork
2/17/23 11:15 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

I'm not sure how many of them actually are.  I know there are 3 that are "out in the wild".  This one, BisforBuild's "crashed Bugatti" and Tavarish's Lamborghini.   Tavarish has a video that shows like 12 of them on a rack in some guys garage.  All the information I have on it is AT best 3rd hand.  To my knowledge this one was not sold to the Previous owner with the Drivetrain.

There apparently where 15 of them.  Where the other 12 are??  Who knows.   

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/21/23 3:20 p.m.

Very cool!

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/21/23 4:00 p.m.

Yup, I remain thoroughly impressed.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6tGWkMhQY6YW3ho3ObOuSKXZTvOljzdbko4SST6UVAITi5tEHcDPykuFNUVGWfw5