TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
4/24/21 1:19 p.m.

Definitely looks like the source of some scrapey-scrapey noises.  What is that?  Hard to see in the pic.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/24/21 1:46 p.m.

The rear tension rods for the suspension. Locates each side fore/aft in the chassis. 

Only the passenger's side hit. Which was the corner woth seriously wonky alignment numbers......

New numbers:

Front: -2.5 camber, all caster i could get, 1/16 toe out. 

Rear: -1 camber, 1/8 toe in.

Well see if i like it!

4/24/21 1:47 p.m.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/24/21 7:51 p.m.

Talking out loud here, but why is there such an interference difference from one side to the other??? 

4/25/21 5:58 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Its tight with proper alignment. It was eo far out it hit. Loose bolts probably don't help. 

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
4/26/21 10:10 a.m.

A guy named Vitor makes offset tension rods that allow for more clearance and wider tires. Just FYI. 

https://www.neongoodies.com/Goodies/Rear_Suspension_Rods/Offset_Rods_16.shtml

4/26/21 10:13 a.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

Yes he does! Ive actually looked attgem, as well as tge spc adjustable lateral links, and sone other goodies. For after the challenge, though as there isn't room in the budget now for before the challenge. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/26/21 10:22 a.m.

It's a damn shame these aren't 4x100

i had planned to cancel the autocross today with everything going on. 

The wife talked me into coming. I brought the neon for shakedown. 

Still no guarantee about the challenge this year (we're registered and paid, but...)

Lets see how this goes!

Last run group for the day

Arg. Oys supposed to be in the 90s with high humidity. Thats to worst part of this....

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
6/5/21 9:09 a.m.

Good luck in the cones today!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/5/21 3:26 p.m.

EYES UP!

SMOOTH HANDS!

GET SOME!

todays course was YUGE. 

I had a ball. The neon lost power steerinston the last rin, but.self healed on the way home .

It is a oversteer machine. Holy E36 M3, my last run i couldn't keep it pointed in the right direction. 

The course was confusing, but another xsb guy jumped in for instruction. Still dfl, but....

This car is a hoot. It slides everywhere, or at least feels like it does. Has enough power to annihilate the front tires at will, enough brake to lock down from anu speed, quick enough steering that i was able to save 90% of the "ohberkeleyitsgonnaspin" moments. 

I think that the neon.is an easier car to drive fast, but the miata is the faster car. I know im happy with it! Need more refinement yet, and todays autocross knocked more sandblasting sand out of somewhere so now its blowing through the hvac.

Needs to sort the hot steering issue.

O2 sensor died

Ac compressor crapped out

Drivwr mod. Lots of driver mod. 

Damn good day. Im gonna eat. E36 M3, shower and nap now. 4:30 am tomorrow morning is coming soon.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/5/21 5:33 p.m.

Still one of my favorite FWD cars that I've driven.  Lil Stampie even questioned his FWD bias after we took it for a spin.

In reply to Stampie :

You need to drive it again! Especially since I aligned it...

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/5/21 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Maybe in July?

In reply to Stampie :

Good call!

Probably won't have ac again yet, but sure! 

32 psi l around,.5 qt low

We'll see how much oil it uses today....

6/6/21 10:43 a.m.

Need to sort a better rear camber solution. Fitmrst run today it became active dynamic camber....

berkeleyit. Ima send it. Tightened the best i could with what I have and its in no fear of falling out 

Fun day. Fwd is wierd, but i got to within 3-4 seconds of second, which is a narrower margin of failure than normal!

Need to add fix rear camber, investigate strut mount on lf front, detail, and vacuum up sand from the interior. Not sure where it came out of, but began blowing out hvac vents yesterday. Probably close to half a pound now! And here i thought i got it all.....

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
6/6/21 9:12 p.m.

Blasted sand must be like auto trans fluid. You never really get it all, and it let's you know at the worst time

In reply to Justjim75 :

Amen! Or coolant. 

In other news, event pictures are beginning to trickle out....

Car was washed this morning. Cone scuffs will take some more work, ant i ripped off one of the front mud guards with a cone. It also used another 1/2 quart of oil, and seems to be boiling the power steering fluid.

Lots of little fixes to do. 

But this car may be the most fun autocross car ive e er driven, and im eternally grateful for stu laswell giving me this set of tires to experience it on! I can only imagine what it would be like with the current crop of sticy rubber. Probably less fun....

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/7/21 8:50 a.m.

No trailer queen she.  Glad to see you out flogging it.  When time allows, you'll get it sorted.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
6/7/21 9:12 a.m.

I watched a couple of your runs from the bleachers, after your "dynamic steering" discovery.  You didn't look nearly as out of control as you describe.  And I've got to say that little Neon has quite a nasty snarl when you're on the throttle!

In reply to Stu Lasswell :

Sunday, after learning how to play with tire pressure, was FAR more controlled and controllable. 

Apparently 48psi front, 42psi rear was a little off...

Also, i hope that the snarl was far better than that Audi or kart. It sounds amazing from the inside too!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IhLXGVnLB6HrzLcn7UND6RTxcHKQkJkysWydoUifauUuc1PdecTYDQrvxMkTlZZ2