Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/21/22 8:07 a.m.

Yesterday we did flag and corner working for the test and tune sessions for the vintage stock car group at rockingham. In the sort track. 

At lunch, staff took some "fun runs"

Mary and i took the neon. 150 miles, and 20 "fun" laps. 

I got caut up behind the miata cart, and in front of a hotckis suspended 70 super bee. 

Needless to say, full tilt laps. I hung the inside tire around the entirety of the turns according to observers, and speedo was in triple digit on the short straits. Damn things quick. I never caught up with the cart, but pulled half a lap on the super bee. 

No oil pressure issues, no chassis oddities, no issues other than brake fade. No pictures. 

We had a BALL.  this car is definitely faster than the miata. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/21/22 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

So you've fallen back in love?

Dusterbd13-michael
3/21/22 8:16 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yes. Definitely fallen back in love. 

I actually want to chase rattles level of love!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/21/22 9:33 a.m.

Success!

Dusterbd13-michael
3/21/22 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Amen! Its finally the car i remember it being. Which, if im honest, was a way better car than it actually was. 

Its now a fantastic piece of equipment. 

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
3/21/22 6:20 p.m.

Maybe you should figure out it's most competitive autocross class and run it this season instead of the XB Miata. It's a new season, and probably a more competitive car overall in whatever class it falls.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/21/22 9:49 p.m.
Stu Lasswell said:

Maybe you should figure out it's most competitive autocross class and run it this season instead of the XB Miata. It's a new season, and probably a more competitive car overall in whatever class it falls.

Ive been thinking about this for the last few hours. 

You're right that this is probably a more class competitive car than the miata. Most likely it would be an overweight xb car, as otherwise it would be outgunned by more power and awd in xa, or an also ran in st. 

But. Theres always a but....

Part of me says its too nice to beat up with cones, and im too ham fisted of a driver to NOT get a lot of cones. 

But the real reason, if im honest with myself,  is that Im emotionally invested in the miata being my autocross car and being a good autocross car and backroads hoon mobile. Its what i designed the car to be, wether its actually good at its primary purpose or not. I knkw its overweight and undersprung to be really competitive, as well as geared wrong. And its not able to have enough safety gear crammed into it for hpde or hillclimbs to make me comfortable. But its the car i WANT to be the "race car" and do "race car" things with. The neon is  just too nice still....

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/21/22 10:04 p.m.

Why not modify the Miata to be more completive?  I know that the engine swap moves you up in a class that you're outgunned but maybe make it more race car while keeping it street legal?

Dusterbd13-michael
3/21/22 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Its been a thought. And still is. But honestly, driver and gear are the two biggest holdbacks at the moment. Once I find a 3.6 torsen im willing to pay for, it'll be only driver....

Dusterbd13-michael
3/22/22 8:18 a.m.

my welding is getting better.  Beginning of seat brackets made. 

First test fit of flowfit seats. I think they will be way more comfortable and supportive than the stock. The black doesn't even look too bad compared to the grey confetti interior!  Have a bit more ironmongery to do before I can bolt them in and go for a drive, but im getting closer!

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 4:30 p.m.

Well, due to unforeseen dumbassery, the miata is dead and the neon will be my competition car this season. See yall Saturday at the autocross!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/24/22 6:30 p.m.

Do you think there will be a learning curve going to FWD or you just gonna kick shiny from the start?

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
3/24/22 6:46 p.m.

Wait, now you blew up the Miata?

Either way, your diligence is astounding.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 6:56 p.m.
Stampie said:

Do you think there will be a learning curve going to FWD or you just gonna kick shiny from the start?

Definitely going to be a learning curve. 

But honestly, with as oversteer-ey as it is, i don't think it will be too steep. 

Famous last words...

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 6:56 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

Yep. About four hours ago. Destroyed the trans. Maybe the diff. 

3/24/22 6:59 p.m.

Yikes! Just saw the other thread. And so it is.

Best to walk away and have a think. You are a hell of a soldier.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 7:00 p.m.

Figure I have two choices. Be pissed at my own damn stupidity or suck it up and deal with it and keep on moving on a positive side of life. Can't do E36 M3 about broken parts tonight or before the autocross so I might as well do something that I can do something about

3/24/22 7:09 p.m.

I'm hip to what you are saying, but I have to point out that this is exactly what all those camoflaged test mules are out doing. They have thousands of people working on the project. One guy may be responsible for making sure a door can be locked and unlocked 10,000 times. The miata is monumental if you simply stop here. The neon, too really. The fact that any of this E36 M3 works ever is pretty astounding if you really think about it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/24/22 7:14 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Stampie :

Its been a thought. And still is. But honestly, driver and gear are the two biggest holdbacks at the moment. Once I find a 3.6 torsen im willing to pay for, it'll be only driver....

What's wrong with the gears?  Is this one of them autocross things that you need 1st gear to go to 50mph or sumthin?

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 7:32 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

2nd gear is done by 40 mile an hour. 4th gear is on the rev limiter at right at a hundred mile an hour. It's just geared wrong. What I really need is a rear gear that will make the effect of ratio a half step between the gears as they are now at that makes sense. Like I need 2nd gear halfway between 2nd and 3rd verses where they're both at now

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 7:33 p.m.

I haven't ever really thought about it like that. You're right it is kind of amazing that my junk works as well as it does for as long as it does with the limited skill set that I have. I never even took shop for automotive in High School I took general shop

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/24/22 7:42 p.m.

Don't sell yourself short.  A lot of us here look at your builds in amazement.  E36 M3's going to happen because you're pushing the edge.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
3/24/22 8:27 p.m.

I will be there Saturday if you need anything, let me know.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 8:43 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Thanks! Luke, stu and i will be under the bleachers at the course end near the men's room if you want to join the camp

Dusterbd13-michael
3/24/22 8:45 p.m.

Passenger's seat in on the drivers side. It's in better shape. 

Seatbelt is good, seating position feels right, and it doesn't move. 

Filthy, but functional. 

Oil change and car wash tomorrow, get loaded for the track. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wjsczjot9DiTmYY3762vcGCh3PJL26jvlUTz990PeBxUgTTr6XvoiGMP7438oovU