Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/14/19 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

You're welcome!

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
1/14/19 1:21 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

My wife is NOT helpful. Sge suggested that the rt be Mary's first car...

But how do you explain to your daughter that you stole all the good parts for your Neon?

Dusterbd13-michael
1/14/19 1:31 p.m.

We all know that the r/t wobt stay around long enough. 

And i like my daughter too much to give her a neon. Asz gmt400, however....

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
1/14/19 1:44 p.m.

Neons are plenty safe..... 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/14/19 2:21 p.m.

My concern is more along passengers capacity , not  crash safety.

However, she can't get her permit for 5 more years, so....

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
1/14/19 2:24 p.m.

Yank the back seats #racecar problem resolved. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/14/19 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Genius!

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
1/14/19 2:30 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I've already started with Lil Stampie "do you know how many people around town know me and my vehicles?  I'd get a call quick if you were doing something stupid in one."

Dusterbd13-michael
1/14/19 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The more strange the car, the better that works!

And my driveway always has some distinctive stuff.....

I need to start on this with her.

And get the other neon and parts before i order the ring and bearing kit for the engines.....

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
1/14/19 2:48 p.m.

Im known locally as the guy with all the odd stuff..... 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
1/14/19 8:57 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Neons are plenty safe..... 

I rolled my 98 R/T and walked away with a sprained shoulder. Safe enough. I don't know that I could have paid 1k for a car with a ventilated oil pan, but damn that would be a hell of a start to a fun street/AX car. 0-50ish I could take most Mustang GT's of that era stock. If the mustang driver couldn't shift I could take them up to about 70, by then they would be reeling me in. Lots of fond memories in that little car.  One memory stands out, of going to the beach with my girlfriend at the time and she ended up falling in. (she was a bit of a klutz) then getting chased down Dale Mabry by a trucker because we put her pants on top of the car then closed the sun roof on the waist line to dry them out before we got her back home. Dude was trying to get a look inside the car going down the road when he realized she didn't have any pants on. laugh

Mom borrowed my car one night to go out with my sister and a friend of hers. A few days later they were giggling over something, and I found out my mom had gotten into a few stop light drag races with my car with my little sister and her friend in the car. 

Yeah, it's official. I miss that car. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/18/19 7:52 a.m.

We leave at 7am to go get the acr tomorrow. Im excited. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/18/19 8:07 a.m.

I've owned two first get Neons. One I drove to Alaska with my sister and a friend. Huge soft spot for these cars. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/18/19 8:48 a.m.

Ive now owned 3 (4 if you count the acr both times)

Theres just something about these. They were such cheap and crappy cars when new, but the style and joy of driving has held up well over time. 

They are by far the best fwd platform ive ever had. Only other close competition is the mp3 protege i had. The ser sentra (mid 90s) brother Dustin had was a distant third, along eith the crx si we had. 

But the neon just did it all better. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
1/18/19 9:13 a.m.

The Neon is a impressive car. You go WOW every time you drive one. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/18/19 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

agreed.   i always said "wow, i hate the sound of this engine."    the ones i drove were brand new and 100% OE.  they drove great, i just hated the noise.   it always sounded cheap.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/18/19 10:27 a.m.

I remember the Neon ads on TV around the time I had my 94 EGT and arrogantly thinking there was no way a Neon could be better or faster. It was several years later - long after the EGT was gone - that I finally got to drive & autox a few Neons. I immediately realized what a pompous & clueless bitch I’d been. Not that I wouldn’t love another EGT too...  

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
1/18/19 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

That was my thought when I first started driving and looking for a fun commuter car. "A neon? NO WAY!"
Dealer screwed up the financing on the Dakota I was going to buy, and came back and asked for another 2500 down on it. (after giving them 3k down already) I didn't have it, so I brought the truck back to them. As I was waiting for my refund on the down payment I spied my old R/T sitting back next to the service department, and asked about it. It apparently had been ordered for the owners son, but he decided he didn't like it. "we can make you a heck of a deal on it due to the screw up with the truck" and I said let's go for a test drive. Got it on some of the twisty back alleys around an industrial area and had it boogieing, and squalling the tires a bit hitting corners. (~7 pm on a Friday night, so the place was deserted) Came back with a smile on my face. Sales guy who rode with me "I didn't know these could move like that!" They made me a deal on it. sticker was just shy of 15. I walked out the door at 12, plus half my down payment back in my account. and I now said "Neon??? HECK YEAH!"

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/19 1:55 p.m.

We ran out of room. 5 trannys, 3 extra engines,  5 or 6 extra intakes, konis, spring sets, wheels, shifters, bushings, exhausts, headers, valve covers, ecms, radiators, and more

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
1/19/19 3:22 p.m.

It looks real nice in that picture.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/19 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It's not. Very flattering picture .

Id be pissed if i hadn't planned on a cull bare shell resto  because thats what its gonna take. The rt is far, far better. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
1/19/19 4:11 p.m.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
1/19/19 5:57 p.m.

Kosei K-1's are just so good.

Can't wait to follow along with the rebuild.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/19 9:35 p.m.

Left the house at 6am. Just pulled in for the night at 10:30pm

Im tired. Really, really tired. And very glad last weekend didn't go according to plan. It was WAY too ambitious. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/19/19 9:49 p.m.

Hopefully it will stop raining tomorrow and i can get the parts haul documented, even though we ran out of room. Theres still euro parts, 2.4 swap parts, a set of srt4 wheels, and who knows what else i need to get when we do the 3 titles.

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zAFVkIgtXXfF5TtlfGXJtwY01cxsU3V1oFgcERps1LroXkrkDBB0WbWfq30cGo4n