SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/31/18 9:30 a.m.

Ah, true.  Fronts in the summer are 235/70R15, so roughly 28" tall. That's a big difference.

I even read that you had a short tire.  My comment above is meaningless.

Still, section the front crossmember and go back to factory spindles, and you can keep a good ride height AND get the arms off the ground. Which was the more relevant part of my comment above. But requires welding.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
5/31/18 9:52 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Next year's plan is to jump to 18's and 275/40's. That'll give me almost 27" tire which will get me another inch of ground clearance. The front rides great to be honest, at least compared to the Forte on 700lb frt coilovers. The rear still bottoms out and I get helacious axle wrap. So a 4-link and coilovers are in the works so I can adjust spring rate to be useful. I still want to be able to carry the bike in the bed occasionally. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
6/7/18 9:56 a.m.

I broke down and ordered a set of slapper bars. the wheel hop is killing me. I'll never burn off these tires!

Bob the REAL oil guy.
6/8/18 6:40 a.m.

Last night I finally cut down the exhaust. It just couldn’t clear the axle and kept hitting. So now there are a pair of 2.5” turn downs in front of the exhaust. 

Slapper bars out for delivery. Install those tonight. Then burnouts for days. Or until the engine blows up. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
6/8/18 8:48 a.m.

OK... Im not even slightly embarassed that the sounds this makes now are slightly erotic. I mean, this thing is absolutely gutless and even with 4.10's, a manual trans and 400+TW tires on the back can barely break them loose...... but it sounds like a berkeleying race car. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
6/9/18 5:36 a.m.

So bars are on. Did some “test launches”(read:burnouts) and it’s noticeably better. Still has axle movement but it’s better. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
6/9/18 10:36 a.m.

I have never gotten wheelhop in my '77 with "heavy half" leafs.  I must not be making as much power as you?  I dunno.  I'm only on Radial T/As.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
6/11/18 6:46 a.m.
SkinnyG said:

I have never gotten wheelhop in my '77 with "heavy half" leafs.  I must not be making as much power as you?  I dunno.  I'm only on Radial T/As.

I'm definitely not making power... if its got 150 at the flywheel I'd be utterly shocked. I think these may have been heated because dropping the truck back down takes up 75% of suspension travel unloaded. I've already decided a 4link and coilovers are in play for the winter. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
6/11/18 4:23 p.m.

OH... also got hit by a deer on the interstate on the way to our t-storm cancelled event. friggin doe walked out of a tall ditch onto the interstate, we played the "which way are you going" game as I slowed as much as I could and then making a snap decision last second. Her head bounced off the right rear fender and gave it a dent. She went back into the woods with likely a headache. 

All I could think of as I was dancing with this stupid animal was "this thing lasted 40 years and this is how it goes out."

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/11/18 4:28 p.m.

Ouch, deer make me almost as paranoid as texting and driving. I hate back roads when the combines are out.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
6/11/18 4:44 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

wasn't even a back road. It was I-65 just north of 71st st on Indianapolis' north west side. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
6/12/18 6:56 a.m.
dropstep said:

Ouch, deer make me almost as paranoid as texting and driving.

I don't even want to think about how bad it will be when the deer start texting.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/12/18 7:04 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

“Whatcha thinkin about?”

”just doe stuff”

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/26/18 6:54 a.m.

welp.... engine build is now finally underway. Heads ordered this morning. Should be here friday. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-CHEVY-350-383-406-NKB-200cc-ALUMINUM-HEADS-64cc-ANGLE-PLUG-NKB-274-A/371557966785?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Kept coming back to these. So I just ordered them. CAlling the machine shop today to see if he's still in business. If so, I'll drop off the block thursday. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/26/18 7:09 a.m.

That may be one of the best ebay ads ive seen in a long time. If their heads are close to the quality of the ad, you got a screaming deal. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/26/18 7:17 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I kept seeing them. I've read a few reviews and nothing that I could see bad. We'll see. They also have their website which I had visited before as well.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/26/18 9:18 a.m.

DAMN..... heads have already shipped! Be here friday according to FedUp.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
6/26/18 9:19 a.m.

Wow.  That IS an impressive ad! Skip White has been around for years, too. They -seem- to have found a good balance between quality and affordability in their products.

You ARE building a 383, correct??

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/26/18 9:26 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

355. decent power and reliability. I'm only shooting for 350-ish whp in a 3600lb truck. It'll probably make more and that would be great, just not trying. I want it to last a long time too. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/28/18 9:43 a.m.

Looking like it may stay a 350. Depends what it looks like after he cleans and measures. Current;y he doesn't think it needs a rebore. The pistons were -6cc Mahle's. So there's something going on there. If it IS good, those pistons are going back in with a new set of rings. with my 64cc heads that will put compression right around 9.5:1. Perfect pump gas motor. also enough compression I can get a little sillier with the cam. 

Not the news I have been waiting for, but I'll take it. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
6/28/18 1:02 p.m.

how easy is it to swap 350's into these again?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/28/18 1:15 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

takes longer to take the hood off than to actually swap the engine. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
6/28/18 1:37 p.m.

sweet, hopefully it's still there in 2021 wink

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/1/18 10:58 a.m.

Good dau yesterday. Hot. Carb was very unhappy. Transmission decided it didnt like all Of it’s mount bolts. So she’s in the garage and now doing Kia things. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/3/18 9:14 a.m.

farm truck goes racing.

So the truck was neutral to bordering on loose. Throttle could turn it well. Front needs more grip, but until I can afford wheels it is what it is. I did spin it on my first and last runs. So thats a thing.

Apparently the hot ticket for farm trucks auto-x'ing are falkens up front and Lexani's out back over inflated.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BZ7j4lLRIvSiBUgUaFTkv1Jp8siDJ7jQQiX59SfkvhqcsNkMjfQvS1Y38g9SkN2u