bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/18 8:02 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

VERY curious to see how you like it on an actual track. There's going to be a long week of testing in the spring where you can drive six different tracks in one week. Good way to shake down the new motor. Something to keep in the back of your mind. laugh

NO AC, no cruise and no radio? No thank you. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/22/18 8:13 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Coward. cheeky

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/18 8:14 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Coward. cheeky

MAYBE.... or maybe I'm just smart enough to know my limits!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
8/22/18 8:29 a.m.
bobzilla said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Coward. cheeky

We went "west" this year... so we might go north next year?  Or we might hit Daytona again, been a while since we've been there.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/18 8:44 a.m.

besides, next year's vacation time is taken up with Hong Kong.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/25/18 7:52 a.m.

Just used the truck as an actual truck. Put up all the passing zone signs and a quick safety sweep/run. Have I mentioned how much I love the noises this thing makes recently?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/25/18 4:56 p.m.

Alright. Couldn’t kill it on track. Drove it to dinner and it’s a dead miss. Yeah. I killed it! Sadly it was a loose plug wire. 

Driving impression: it needs power. Seriously. Chassis is neutral but turns well with the throttle. Brakes with crappy parts house pads were more than adequate for a 20 minute session. Seat has to go. 

Overall awesome. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/25/18 6:36 p.m.

Spoke too soon. She’s down to 7 now. I thought it was slow before? Ha! Now it’s slowee, sounds funny and vibrates. Still drove me home the 60 miles at normal highway speeds to get home. Probably drive like that for another 6 months to be honest. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/25/18 8:28 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

It’s a 350, it’ll run like that and with no oil pressure for at least 3 years 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
8/25/18 8:39 p.m.
bobzilla said

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
8/26/18 3:07 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Driving impression: it needs power. Seriously. Chassis is neutral but turns well with the throttle. Brakes with crappy parts house pads were more than adequate for a 20 minute session. Seat has to go. 

Overall awesome. 

The brake situation will change as you add experience, and power.  Although... the brick-like aerodynamics of the cab will certainly assist the brakes in slowing things down (and from what speed they slow down from).

Still, cool to hear how it ran.  Good luck with kill it more.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/26/18 9:41 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I agree the brakes will need attention once speed increases but a decent pad will fix that problem. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/26/18 5:00 p.m.

Are you hoping for a grand expiration involving flames, smoke and a lot of NOISE.....but not too far from the grosh prehaps?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/26/18 5:01 p.m.

that was the original idea. I should know better. so instead I'll just yank it out and put the new one in. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/26/18 5:30 p.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/350-small-block-vs-427-big-block/142520/page1/  This might be an avenue for the old bullet .......yay logistics are kinda whack, but stranger

things have happened here....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/26/18 6:16 p.m.

I've got most of the stuff for the new engine ready to go. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/18 8:33 a.m.

Sunday the long block was buttoned up. Gapped the rings, installed pistons/bearings and heads. Still need to order rocker studs so I can test fit the pushrods I have to see if they are the correct length before ordering new ones. Timing set was misboxed so I have a new timing set coming. It had the right lower sprocket, and a ford upper. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/18 8:34 a.m.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
9/5/18 4:26 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

nice engine

I'm confused about the taurus

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/5/18 4:53 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm confused about the taurus

It's obscure

Speaking of obscure, is it orange? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/5/18 9:46 a.m.

yes, pumpkin orange. 

Also ordered the right timing set and rocker studs yesterday. Once those are here I can check pushrod length this weekend and get those ordered. Still need to find a nicer oil pan, headers and an intake. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
9/5/18 10:44 a.m.

that's an awesome color to go obliterate an evening with

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/5/18 10:48 a.m.

Look into kevco oil pans. I have NEVER been disappointed. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/5/18 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I need something no deeper than stock because if I do it'll literally drag on the pavement. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/5/18 10:07 p.m.

What headers are you going with?  I had to replace the full lengths on my prostreet truck and the headmans I ordered hang significantly lower than the no names they replaced.  I ended up converting the front to airbags,  so I wouldn’t drag EVERYWHERE.  Eventually I’d like to replace them with another set of full lengths that don’t hang so low.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uD5NbU02m99d56E4vZsQRmZeeeSjpkamlnrB3feNVAg43kifyu1YjiGof6XY4yxQ