Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/13/17 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

HAHAHAHAHA!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/13/17 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Glad i can make you laugh. I look at the totals and do the opposite...

Right up until i drive in anger. Then its all worth it again.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/13/17 3:51 p.m.

I've got 18 more days before I can actually see what I've bought.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/13/17 5:52 p.m.

What's the bolt pattern and offset you need? I have a set of C4 American Racing 5 star billet aluminium 17x9.5 and 17x11 wheels I just put on CL yesterday

Nice truck I've got plans on something very similar with a 4.8 swap please post lots and lots of pics

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/13/17 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Raze:

If hes not interested, i might be depending on price/pics.

Im not THAT far from Atlanta....

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
2/13/17 8:03 p.m.

In reply to Raze:

Link/price?

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/13/17 8:19 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to Raze: Link/price?

I'll message so we don't clutter Bob's build, sorry Bob I didn't think before I posted that.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/14/17 8:42 a.m.
Raze wrote: What's the bolt pattern and offset you need? I have a set of C4 American Racing 5 star billet aluminium 17x9.5 and 17x11 wheels I just put on CL yesterday Nice truck I've got plans on something very similar with a 4.8 swap please post lots and lots of pics

5x5 is the pattern I need, unless I use adapters which I'd really rather not.

Something else that came to mind... since I can't go out and look at it and hte inlaws have no idea what is sitting in their garage.... these didn't use a 10-bolt did they? They were 12-bolt 8.875 rear ends in the half tons werent they? I was thinking along the lines of 94-96 caprice/impala rear disc swap but if it's a 12-bolt will that still work?

I've gone back and forth on hte idea of a cammed 4.8 in this one, or just go the easy route and build a stout reliable 400hp sbc. THat's my end goal, is right around 400 hp/tq and 3700lbs.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
2/14/17 8:59 a.m.

Chevy didn't put the 8.5 10-bolt in trucks until 1979, so you should have the 12-bolt. I found this link where they use Caprice/Impala rear brakes, with a conversion bracket. The flange is different so the Caprice bracket won't bolt on.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/14/17 11:47 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I've gone back and forth on hte idea of a cammed 4.8 in this one, or just go the easy route and build a stout reliable 400hp sbc. THat's my end goal, is right around 400 hp/tq and 3700lbs.

That's an awesome plan, I strive to live vicariously through you on this one

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/23/17 9:54 a.m.

Finally got the title work done, temp plate in hand, historic plate in the mail. one more week until I fly out and begin the adventure part.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/26/17 3:44 p.m.

Tool kit packed. Now to work for 4 days. Going to be a looooooong 4 days.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/17 8:04 p.m.

Flights were in tune and uneventful. Got the harnesses in. Truck is in really better physical shape than I expected. Pics will come when I get home.

First question: it has a Weind intake and edwlbrock carb. Why is there a rod holding open what I assume are the secondaries? Is this normal? I'm really carb-tarded here

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
3/3/17 8:20 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Pic? Sure it isn't the choke?

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
3/3/17 8:46 p.m.

LMC Truck is a great source for parts http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/t.aspx

sleepyhead
sleepyhead New Reader
3/3/17 9:05 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Pics will come when I get home.

< sarcasm > What? Is this 2003? Unacceptable! Hotel WiFi should be sufficient to upload blurry hand-held cellphone picture goodness. < /sarcasm >

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/17 9:06 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Pic? Sure it isn't the choke?

Apparently is choke. Told you. Carb-tarded

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
3/3/17 9:29 p.m.

It's good timing for me to just be finding this thread. I like it! Posting here mainly so it'll show up on my "your posts" list.

I'll be curious to follow what you do for an engine build and induction. I've got a project that sure would be entertaining with a small block chevy at that power level.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/4/17 6:32 a.m.

I'm not going to Lie Right now the idea of LSx power sure sounds good to me

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
3/4/17 7:40 a.m.

Yes, that does seem like a great option for easy power.

I was looking at that option for a G-body project I have. But I've pretty much talked myself out of it because of the cost and time involved. Putting it in your truck might save some time and money because I expect truck pans and manifolds probably work well. In my case, I'd have to be rounding up specific (non-truck) manifolds and oil pan.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/4/17 7:52 a.m.

Most of my trepidation is my total lack of knowledge on this form of induction. I'm sure once I rear into this and get a better understanding I'll feel much better about making the power the old school way. Summit has a nice top end kit (alum heads, can, intake package) for 1200 Package that supposedly produces about what I'm looking to make. Rebuild the bottom end with a new crank kit and some flat top pistons and roll.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/4/17 3:00 p.m.

Just spent the last two hours driving this beast around Tucson trying to find someplace with a used wheel and tire for a spare. No go. I can honestly say I have my doubts about this adventure and am positive at the same time. Figured out some speed vs rpm as the speedo just kinda bobs around randomly as it sees fit. 45 is 2500. 60 is 3300-ish. Not pushing it past that this far from home. Back roads and 3 days it is

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
3/4/17 4:18 p.m.

We did a fly-n-drive of my Mother-in-law's '83 K20 a few years back in August from Colorado to Missouri. It's not much of an exaggeration to suggest my attention was split equally between windshield, water temp gauge, and oil pressure gauge. It did fine!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/4/17 4:29 p.m.

It's got a trio of aftermarket gauges, with two hooked up. Oil pressure gets low warm but stays at least 15psi at idle and 10-15psi per 1000 rpm. Temp gauge may or may not work. Shows it always around 180-190*.

Not sure I trust any gauge in it right now. I'm going to refill the tank on the way back to see if I can get an idea on fuel range

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/5/17 10:35 p.m.

I'll post a full adventure story with pics later. Quick update. Day 1 575 miles down, averaging 13.25mpg and our normal cruising speed seems to be 62-ish. That puts us at 3500rpms one road side fix that involved pointing the headlights off the ground 3' in front of the bumper in bfe NM. Stopped for the night In santa rosa

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MmL9sSAZSSkOTFvWncK4ygv9iXbLhnuQCBhaHMm7jUEyOYhUYv7RL73EtOpXO9dn