3 4 5 6 7
Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
3/10/17 8:49 p.m.

If you decide to change the rolling stock I would be interested in the Astro center caps you have on there.

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer New Reader
3/11/17 6:31 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla: Great truck and a great trip! Makes me want to start looking for a square body that doesn't have terminal rust.

Used OEM options are probably cheaper, but if you want something you can be savage with, how about the Muncie Rockcrusher's big brother? The M23 Severe Duty will be going in my road race Camaro later this year.

AutoGear "Syracuse" Gearbox

I also know where there's a used Tex Racing/GForce South Super T-10 available for sale if you're interested, but you'd need the same Lakewood bellhousing to mount it up.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi HalfDork
3/11/17 8:38 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Tach HAS to be wrong. A don't think any V8 ever with a 4.10 or steeper has returned 16 mpg without an overdrive.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi HalfDork
3/11/17 8:55 a.m.

It's time to change the jets

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
3/11/17 10:52 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: In reply to BrokenYugo: The problem for me with the NV is the requirement to switch to a hydraulic clutch. I'm not going to lie, I like the feel of the manual cough. A lot.

Yeah it sounds like you got some aggressive gearing. with 35"s on 4.10s I was 3krpm at 70mph

my SM465 is hydraulic, its a different bellhousing and hard to find if you break it, ask me how I know...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/11/17 4:24 p.m.

Well tach was wrong. Pulled it loose and it was on the V6 setting. We were returning an incorrect piece of furniture today and 70mph is now 3100rpms. That's a lot more manageable. If the online calculators are correct that would make it a 4.10

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/20/17 12:49 p.m.

Finally had my first failure. Left rear drum was smoking when I got home from my friends house 20 miles away. Wheel was so hot I couldn't touch it. I think I found the issue with the brake feel!

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
3/20/17 3:13 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Well tach was wrong. Pulled it loose and it was on the V6 setting. We were returning an incorrect piece of furniture today and 70mph is now 3100rpms. That's a lot more manageable. If the online calculators are correct that would make it a 4.10

yup that sounds more like it.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
3/20/17 4:18 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Finally had my first failure. Left rear drum was smoking when I got home from my friends house 20 miles away. Wheel was so hot I couldn't touch it. I think I found the issue with the brake feel!

Discs?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/20/17 5:44 p.m.

Don't know yet. I need to get the Forte and its parts sold so I can have some cash to put into it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/26/17 5:29 p.m.

So a few things happening today. After putting in 5 hours of OT from home I finally played the car shuffle and got the truck over to the side that stuff gets worked on. Basically did an in depth inventory of what I have and what I need. Actually..... let me back this up.

Yesterday I drug the wife to the pull a part that had 5 93-97 camaros in stock. The last car we found was a rear disc car. So I pulled the rear calipers, lines, hoses and ebrake cables. All told $40. Bad part is these will have to be cores because they're not complete. But cores are $45 each, and with the extra lines hoses and cables in coming way out ahead.

So today while working I found a new pair of Impala SS rear rotors for $41 shipped and ordered them as well. All I bAd now are the pads, working calipers and the magic brackets ($120) to make this all work.

So, back to today. Jacked it up, yanked the wheels and went over it to see what is truly needed. The bad: every bushing is shot (not surprisingly it's 40 friggin years old). Shocks are done. Front could that were cut almost fall out when the suspension is unloaded and the wiring under the dash made me pull the battery cables loose. The front wheels are 15x7 with 4" of backspace and 215/70/15 dry rotted Goodyear Integrity from 2006. Rear wheels are 15x10 with 4" of back spacing and Big O all terrains in 31x10.50. Also from 2006

The good: there's a new billet HEI distributor in there. The front will easily hold a 9" wheel with 5" bs and a 10 will fit with a little more. Ball joints are solid, steering is as well. Tie rods, pit an arm etc are all tight. Brand new rotors, bearings and pads up front. Rear drums are almost new but the leaking rear wheel cylinders have coated the thick shoes. Not a concern as I'm moving to rear disc anyway. Also there is a 2" shackle back there with greasable bushings. They're dry rotted but greasable!

So I've got a list going if needed parts. The list isn't as bad as I initially thought thankfully. Just. Red to make some money to buy it all!

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/26/17 6:47 p.m.

Can't believe I just saw this thread. That's a sweet truck. I have a chopped 78 with a blown small block and a 4 speed. It's parked right now with rear axle issues, but this thread really makes me want to revive it.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
3/26/17 7:00 p.m.

One of the best things about a rust free vehicle is all those big suspension bolts shouldn't be too hard to remove!

And then some of the other best things are pretty much everything else.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/26/17 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

I've been waiting on your input! Don't need a core support or headlight bezels/headlights/buckets do you? I've got extras.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/27/17 9:42 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: In reply to Cotton: I've been waiting on your input! Don't need a core support or headlight bezels/headlights/buckets do you? I've got extras.

Let me check. I'm good on core support, but might be able to use the bezels if they're newish or in real good shape.

On the carb, I vote fuel injection too, but lately for me, if I'm not ready to go FI, I just buy a new Quickfuel for around $300 and slap that on there. They are easier to tune, rejet, etc than the older stuff and a lot quicker to install than FI if you're limited on time.

This is the one I put on my last 350: https://smile.amazon.com/Quick-Fuel-Technology-SL-600-VS-Carburetor/dp/B006ZLDXFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490625646&sr=8-1&keywords=quick+fuel+600

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/27/17 10:47 a.m.

I also did something else.....

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
3/27/17 8:46 p.m.

Cool!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/28/17 7:31 a.m.

I will likely still need a 1.5" spacer to get the look/fitment I want but the price could not be beat. Even after buying the spacers they will be under $80 each

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/28/17 7:36 a.m.

I like them. Cant picture them on the truck, but its a good design.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/28/17 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Don't worry... Weds night you can with photo help.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/28/17 8:53 a.m.

Awsome!!!!

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
3/28/17 8:57 a.m.

My uncle launched his left MCL and is selling all his 4 speed stuff including the freshly rebuilt muncie from behind the 377 in his 83 c10. I think he has another rebuilt unit on the shelf, a known good one, a couple freshly blasted bellhousings, etc...

I wish i had some parts left from my 76 to give your project but pretty sure the only 73-87 stuff i have left is the title from my 85 k5 and one rocker panel.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/28/17 9:39 a.m.

I've made the executive decision that this truck will get an overdrive. Next year. So I'm just going to soldier on this year with the SM465 and 410's. find some 275/55/17's (29.1") to stuff onto those new (to me) 17x8.5 and fix the brakes/suspensiony/wiring stuff. Next year will get the OD trans (TKO500/600 most likely) and then replace the worn out tires with some 275/40 performance oriented tires on these wheels. MAy look for a pair of these in 10-11" width to grab a 315/35 on the back. because why not.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
3/28/17 8:17 p.m.

Dude, great find on those wheels! They should look pretty sweet on there.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/28/17 9:25 p.m.

I'm curious to see what you decide on the od trans. I want to upgrade mine as well.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HOHITugSUaWYT8WOGxINd5HQEG4hyilbTypYEzRlP0n1VjW9xWhjsKvTHbLqpX6p