Ever get the carb sorted?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/17/17 10:08 a.m.

Also my shopping spree from last week

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/17/17 10:12 a.m.

Not yet. Has a vacuum leak but it now all moves and the choke will work once it's plugged in. YAY!

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/17/17 10:49 a.m.

Like the wheels, how big of a tire are you planning? Edelbrock carbs give me a headache, good luck with it!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/17/17 11:03 a.m.

For these I'm planning just a 275/50 for right now. Down the road, once the truck is a little more sorted I'll likely source some 18x10's and 295/35 at the least.

EDIT: also trying to see if the TKO-500 bolts to the SM465 bell housing which it looks like it will. Would just need a clutch disc with the right spline count, shifter hole and shorten the front part of the driveshaft.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/17/17 11:17 a.m.

Make sure the TKO bearing retainer diameter matches the truck bellhousing's hole, I don't think they do. Truck retainers are bigger than car retainers.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/17/17 11:32 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Make sure the TKO bearing retainer diameter matches the truck bellhousing's hole, I don't think they do. Truck retainers are bigger than car retainers.

Truck retainer will likely be larger won't it?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
4/17/17 12:38 p.m.

There are companies that make adapter rings to go between the car and the truck ring size.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/add-716078?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google--shopping--srese1-_-advance-adapters&gclid=CI-N6KiErNMCFRpXDQod6FoD_Q

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/18/17 12:21 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Yeah, the car trans will bolt on the truck bell but the alignment between the trans input and the crankshaft is established by the retainer having a tight fit in the bore (kinda like a hubcentric wheel) so you can't run it that way without an adapter ring pressed into the bell.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/18/17 5:51 a.m.

$35 adapter ring easy peasy.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/24/17 6:23 a.m.

So.... more progress?

Pulled the fusebox and interior harness.

And the extra wires that were also cut out:

There's another pile that already made it into the trash. Serious rat's nest of human stupidity. There are more butt connnectors, scotch-locks and taped wired along with wires that just end. Such a mess. Pulled the ignition switch and the wiper switch, both are original Delco Remy parts and both look 40 years old. Those are now coming as well.

Now.... the bad part. Got the cluster out and it looks like someone tried to fix the bad gauges (oil pressure and temp) and then gave up and installed the chrome trio. So the cluster is pretty much trash. The only working gauge was the gas gauge. Speedo was all over the place. So we ordered this:

So... by the time we're done I'll have gauges that work, turn signals, lights and wipers, a working radio with ipod connection and working speakers. YAY!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/27/17 9:17 a.m.

Sure doesn't look like $700. But it's got all the senders, wiring and control box. Plus it will adjust for tire changes, trans ration etc.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/27/17 9:49 a.m.

Just found this....love it. Did you have to fab brackets for the rear calipers? Is there a separate smaller caliper as E-brake?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/27/17 10:15 a.m.

The brackets came from a gentleman on the 68-72 truck forum and uses the 93-97 Camaro Z28 rear calipers. They have the integrated parking brake built in and uses an impala SS rotor. Super simple parts bin engineering with a pair of custom brackets. I think the swap ended up costing me $290 all in.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/27/17 10:30 a.m.

So the tires will be here Next Weds. This weekend's goal is to get the rear brakes buttoned up and bled, the rear wiring laid out and hooked up and the fluids changed in the engine, trans and refilling hte diff. That way Thurs I can get the tires mounted and have it on the ground again.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
4/27/17 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

When is the first autox?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/27/17 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett:

I'm shooting to have it ready for the Peru Cam Challenge.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
4/27/17 11:19 a.m.

That new cluster is trick! This thing is gonna be awesome!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/27/17 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Crackers:

It does all sorts of things I have no need for.... 0-60, 1/4 mile, 1/4 mile trap speed, max rpm, max speed.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/27/17 12:55 p.m.

crap... I just realized all the lugnuts I have are all M12. I actually have to buy 20 1/2-20 lugnuts.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/27/17 1:01 p.m.

Ebay. Cheapest way to get them.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/27/17 1:30 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: crap... I just realized all the lugnuts I have are all M12. I actually have to buy 20 1/2-20 lugnuts.

I just bought 16 lugnuts in that size. Plan ahead and dont go too advanced. 34 bucks for wide shoulder lugnuts!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/27/17 2:07 p.m.

$16 Through Amazon for tall, 3/4" closed end bulged seat blah blah blah..... be here Saturday. Love Prime.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Reader
4/27/17 7:40 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: In reply to Crackers: It does all sorts of things I have no need for.... 0-60, 1/4 mile, 1/4 mile trap speed, max rpm, max speed.

I guess "dash integrated for autocross" either 'isn't a thing' yet... or is so niche as to be prohibitively expensive

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
4/27/17 8:40 p.m.

Awesome cluster. Where did you get it?

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7xADqzdsYvu1RIjgW7AyKJuu7Kh6hFAMe36iZF9r77oMODskXph9tjUE5l4f45O0