2 3 4 5 6
yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
5/17/22 5:49 p.m.
Stampie said:

I'm not as big of a wheel whore as Michael but I do have these C5 magnesium laying around. 

Gasp that works

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/17/22 5:56 p.m.

Ok can y'all settle an argument?  What color are those wheels?

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
5/17/22 5:59 p.m.

Gunmetal gold

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
5/17/22 6:12 p.m.

Light bronze

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/17/22 6:31 p.m.

Light bronze 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/17/22 7:17 p.m.

Ok I win. 

In the back wheel picture you can see a hint of Lil Stampie messing behind the driver's seat. I got home from a hard day at work and he wanted to swap it out. 

I noticed when he got it out that it was a Wally world special with a 3/21 date code. Let's see if they'll warranty it. Off to the nearest Walmart and they have a battery charging on their tester. Says it'll be at least an hour and they'll be closed by then. Didn't help that they didn't have a replacement battery anyway. 

Off to the next nearest one. After a little confusion because it had no terminals in it, she tested it and said it's bad. Asked if I wanted a new one which I replied on the affirmative and a few minutes later we walked out of the door. 

We got the new battery in and I got in it to start it. I noticed the hand brake light was on which means the ignition had been on since yesterday. Go to start and it turns over much faster but nothing else. Thinking we had burned out the HEI (exhaust shop did that to the K30 once) we went to test spark. 

The only tester I could find was hookie but I rigged it up on #5 at the distributor. Few cranks and right as I saw the light I felt it in the hand holding the hookieness together. Ok we have spark.

Pulled the fuel line off the carb and it's dry. Cranking shows no fuel. Pull it off behind the filter and no gas there either. At this point I'm tired. I decide that the best course of action is to drain the tank using a little air pressure on the return line. That'll make sure the lines are good up to the fuel pump and we can go from there. That'll be another day. 

Dusterbd13-michael
5/17/22 8:00 p.m.

Are you sure it's not just out of gas

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/17/22 8:01 p.m.

Sweet ride!  Is this the same one that did a bit of rallyx?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/17/22 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Could be but supposedly had 5 gallons just put in 100 yards  and 10 minutes of idling ago.  I'll find out when I try and flush the tank.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

I don't think so.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/17/22 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Just in case you hadn’t seen the C3 rallyxer

i thought it was a GRMer, but maybe not. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/17/22 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

You know I think that is a GRMer but not the same car.  This one has been in the GRM family for less than a month.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/18/22 7:48 p.m.

I came home from work with a plan.  Threw Lil Stampie in the Suburban and headed to Northern Tool to get an air gun and some funnels I've been meaning to get.  Next up was a busy gas station for some 93 octane gas.  On the way back home we picked up 6 feet of fuel line. 

Once home we took off the fuel lines and started blowing back in the return.  Could hear some air and smell bad gas even more.  Jacked it up and climbed underneath.  Only thing I saw was this wet spot but it turned out to be the front pinion seal.

Decided to probe the tank.  When I took off the cap I noticed it had some kind of vent flap thing that wouldn't make a good seal.  So that would have prevented me using air pressure to push fuel down the lines.  I leaned over and looked in the hole and hmmm I can see the bottom of the tank.  It's empty.  Should have done that first.

Put fuel lines back together except for the carb line to make sure fuel was getting there.  Even made a video to make up for the other day.

Put the line on the carb and cranked, and cranked, and cranked.  Couldn't even get a lick of fire.  Tested spark again but being more aware of where my finger was we had spark on #8.  Lil Stampie had me test #3 also in hopes that it would bite me.  Nope on the bite yes on the spark.  Phoned a friend and Michael went over some basics.  All good on them.  Pretty much comes down to fouled plugs.  We'll try and pull them tomorrow for new ones.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/18/22 7:58 p.m.

We'll be here!

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
5/18/22 8:15 p.m.

Nothing like the adventure of buying a car that used to run! 

Dusterbd13-michael
5/18/22 8:23 p.m.

You got this homie 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/18/22 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Try wearing some gold chains next time you try to start it?

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/18/22 9:09 p.m.

"Cool videos eh?  Yeah they suck because some DA forgot to put his camera in video mode."

Uh that's Mister DA .....how many times do I have to tell you!?!??......And hey what the H went on this past weekend? Full Moon Full Tilt Boogie extravaganza...... you with this and PatG with his forever Nissan.....wow

Oh, and SBC's sporting Wix filters get me all kinda tingly.......good on you bro!!!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/18/22 9:42 p.m.
yupididit said:

Nothing like the adventure of buying a car that used to run! 

Oh, I know about that one.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/19/22 8:53 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

You got this homie 

I know.  After some whiskey and a good night of sleep I have a better attitude. Once it's done it'll be like well that wasn't too bad.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
5/19/22 10:27 a.m.

Maybe I missed it but have you tried some starting fluid or putting some gas down the carb??

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/19/22 10:30 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

We're getting accelerator pump action so it has gas. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/20/22 12:18 p.m.

We're in day 4 of a mid 90s heat wave so after work yesterday we decided to take a day off from Dug.  I did notice a strong smell of gas around Dug when I got home. I'm suspecting the gas cap. It's a Permacap. I guess it's for people that don't like taking off the gas cap to fuel. It's got a little spring loaded door for the nozzle. I don't think that door was making a good seal. 

This morning I grabbed some spark plugs and a new gas cap. At 10 I had an appointment at the DMV for title and tag. It's street legal if it has a tag right?

After that I headed over to National Carb and had a talk with them about what carb to run. I fully expected them to say QJet but nope they came back with 600cfm vacuum secondary Holley. Said that once I get it going to measure the vacuum at idle and they may have to change the power valve for me. This is actually the electric choke version of what we ran on the Buick. Here's the new carb.

Here's the QJet I took in as a core expecting to buy a QJet. They were cool and accepted it as a core on the Holley although they said they normally don't do that. 

Not sure if I'll get time to work on it today as Friday is my run around town day. Might be better to wait until the morning when it'll be cooler anyway. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/20/22 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/20/22 1:49 p.m.

Hilarious that they listed the color as the material.  Love those wheels on the c3.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
5/20/22 6:04 p.m.

I really sorry you're having trouble getting it fired. It did run and drive when I was bringing it to the shop. At least, it made it 5 miles before the fuel pump.

By the way, those wheels are champagne color. Remember, your bougie now. 

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ARioscb39Na8tTvZDCsA8YSglp6Pe881hvYJPeh8XC7ZVcKqEMuQ2m1dcEaByZNn