Thats looking great!

wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/6/21 9:12 p.m.

Looking great buddy!!!

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/7/21 8:02 p.m.

Walked to the back of the shop this afternoon. We are collecting quite the fill work. Making the place look like rod shop.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/9/21 2:24 p.m.

Stuck in fitting hell, finally think we ot the right stuff on order. 

Going to filter the gas and the lines today and get all the crud out of the system. 

Getting closer, just want the dang thing to run.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/12/21 8:57 p.m.

Tomorrow is first fire day. Hope to god that the motor makes it through initial break in. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/14/21 11:59 a.m.

Well it didnt go as planned. Motor isn't getting spark down to the plugs. We have narrowed the problem down the distributor. We don't think we have something wired right. I will post some video here but we are on the phone with MSD to try and sort it all out. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/14/21 8:23 p.m.

Bummer Brent!   We're you able to get the ignition sorted?

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/14/21 9:47 p.m.

Oh it's sorted. My distributer is a dual sync msd unit. The distributer has three trouble shooting lights so you can see what's happening. You should see one light blink every rotation on the distributer which is the  cam sensor picking up tdc. We should be seeing a light for every spark plug location, so eight in total. We aren't seeing any. The sensor that picks up the cap locations is dead.

sooooo we're dead in the water. But once this gets sorted we should be good.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/16/21 3:09 p.m.

so close to having this thing done. Still needs to go down about 1/2 inch in the front

wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/16/21 3:40 p.m.

Looks good to me!  Got a oxy-acetylene torch handy? devil

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/21/21 3:35 p.m.

So after another distributor and the same result got on tech support with MSD. Turns out the distributor im trying to use is not compatible with the EFI system im using. I need a distributor with a magnetic pickup. New MSD distributor will be here tomorrow or Friday

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/25/21 9:14 p.m.

Did 400 miles this weekend in my wife's mustang. Had a good group that we drove up the Mississippi river bouncing between Iowa Wisconsin and Minnesota. Good trip

I have five days to finish the galaxie. Distributer doesn't show up until Thursday. Crunch time.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/25/21 10:14 p.m.

Just go into the Fitech with the handheld, tell it that it is not the boss of the distributor and/or timing and light that candle. You don't NEED the Fitech to control timing, so just turn it off. It will just read the tach signal from the ignition and fire the  injectors as needed. 

Assuming that you are aware that the Fitech tach signal wire is very sensitive to electrical noise from other wires.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/26/21 11:34 a.m.

Problem was the fitech wouldn't accept the tach signal from the distributer. Won't work at all. We tried to fire it without timing control and still wouldn't work.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/26/21 12:00 p.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

Problem was the fitech wouldn't accept the tach signal from the distributer. Won't work at all. We tried to fire it without timing control and still wouldn't work.

That is interesting. I learned the hard way that it wont work with point, I learned the hard way that it has zero noise protection for the tach signal, but now it appears that there is another achilles heel to the Fitech? What exactly is this signal pulse that wont register with a digital input tach circuit in the Fitech?

While you are waiting, smoke the intake and exhaust for leaks and pull the MAP sensor out of the Fitech to check for a crimped seal.  Make sure you don't have a dual plane intake manifold, or use an open spacer if you do. All things that will drive you nuts if not right.  Fitech works, but a  LOT of planets have to align and stay aligned for it to do so.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/26/21 12:13 p.m.

Hmm the intake i have is a dual plane, I will have to get a open spacer put on order. 

From what i got out of the MSD guy is the CDI box and distributor aren't compatible. My distributor i have is a dual sync, hall effect, and that wont work in my application. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/27/21 11:12 p.m.

Bled the clutch tonight. Got the temp exhaust welded. Bunch of odds and ends done. Got the motor back at 18 degrees waiting on distributor. 

punch list

Replace bad fuel line fitting

throttle bracket, cable and hardware.

column final tighten.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/28/21 7:14 a.m.

Go, go, GO!

wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/28/21 7:20 a.m.

Dual plane manifold works on a FiTech as I can attest.  I believe my start-up is longer due to flow paths in a dual plane being longer though that's only a guess.  I would like to try a single plane one day and I'm interested on its impact on power band and low RPM torque, a typical single plane intake short coming compared to a dual plane.  I have run both with and without an intake spacer.  I didn't see much benefit and one I tried caused me issues when it warped and started binding up the throttle plates.  That one went back to Summit Racing!   

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/30/21 8:33 p.m.

So I didn't hit my goal. Car was supposed to run for the car show hosted at my business tomorrow. Sadly distributer was supposed to be here today. Showing late august now.

we are about ready for the show/cruise. We have roughly 4K horsepower in the back of the shop right now. Should be a good time.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/31/21 3:46 p.m.

So sorry to hear this man!   I hope the show at your shop was a huge success!

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
8/3/21 11:13 a.m.

So I ordered other parts to get this thing moving. Tired of msd's lack of any timeline and continued push back of any kind of shipment date.

parts should be here friday

car show turned out great. We had around 30 cars show up. Went on a 50 mile round trip ride after. Norma didn't make it but next year she will

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
8/9/21 8:16 p.m.

Got to do a fun rescue yesterday.

go kart had been sitting for 15 years. Towed it home and started on it right away.

this was my wife's go kart as a kid. Goes about 20 on flat ground. All I had to do was fix a off bead tire (starting fluid worked great) and put gas in it. Started on the second pull. Fun to do a project and have same day results.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
8/10/21 5:13 a.m.

What a tease!   I saw you had posted something and was excited to see what was up with you car.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
8/10/21 11:09 a.m.

1109 days since I last heard her run. Today we are gonna change that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kLqGkIOX25Kz3EBrBOM6LdzBhUneyT1PpCoMpGjnUYTNsAhQg3FaFgjRhF5bzITc