3 4 5 6 7
Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/4/17 11:52 a.m.

Time to get the seats out and stretch this thing!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/4/17 1:56 p.m.

Doing a headliner always seemed like the toughest part of interior work to me...not sure I'd want to tackle it.  Good luck and use plenty of glue.  smiley

Agent98
Agent98 New Reader
10/4/17 2:33 p.m.

Great progress - if that seat side bolster can't be cleaned up with 409 and scrub brush you could respray it with white SEM vinyl dye.

Comment on SaltyDog's comment - I'm getting to a point where -EVERY damn car I work on will be painted white, lasts the longest, hides the best : "if it ain't right, paint it white"..

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/8/17 12:48 p.m.

Ready to do the headliner. Kinda amazing to see all the stupid wiring people have done over the years. 

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/9/17 9:28 a.m.

headliner is in. Still need to install the sails. 

Got the seats back in.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/9/17 9:32 a.m.

Good news is the motor should be ready for pick up friday devil. Just waiting on the harmonic balancer to arrive and balance and it will be assembly time. Still have some unknowns on the motor. Still need to figure out rockers, pushrods and valve covers. Also need to get the motor down to get painted. About to be a busy month.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
10/9/17 10:08 a.m.

Of all of the big old American cars I want, a Galaxie is near the top of the list- this thread is moving it up further yes

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/9/17 11:20 a.m.

The car doesnt have front seat belts. Do you think that would have been like that from the factory? I think the car at least needs lap belts. 450hp and 500 foot pounds would be a scary ride without them.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/9/17 11:28 a.m.

Apparently the nationwide mandate for front seatbelts didn't hit until 1968.  My '64 Plymouth had seat belts, I'm surprised that your car doesn't.  

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/9/17 12:12 p.m.

Doesn't it have the threaded holes for belts in the floor? I've never seen a car that came with rear belts and not front ones. 

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/9/17 12:56 p.m.

@mazdeuce I put my hand under the carpet and didnt feel any holes. Looks like there is hole on the underside in the floor but its covered with a rubber groumet. Once we get the hole cut for the trans I will replace the carpet and figure it out. Just suprised the car doesnt have them already.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
10/10/17 9:59 a.m.

In reply to pres589 :

Prior to FMVSS 208 (1/1/1968), seat belt laws varied by state.  Front seat belts became standard equipment in US for the 1964 model year, because by that time 23 states required them.  So I'm sure Norma will find front seat belt anchor points under the carpet.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
10/10/17 10:03 a.m.

There's at least one company making kits to fit three point belts. For a car I'm actually going to drive, I think it's a no-brainer. Putting them in the '63 Ranchero, though it looks like it'll take a little head-scratching to find a safe and sturdy location.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/10/17 3:11 p.m.

There are a number of places selling OEM style replacement lap belts (I bought some for my '61 Pontiac from http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/ .  They also sell three point belts.

Another source for three point belts is http://www.julianos.com/

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/12/17 9:56 a.m.

Whats everyone's thoughts on hotchkis suspension? Anyone have any bad experiences?  

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/14/17 10:01 p.m.

Picked up the block and parts today Christmas came early!!

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/15/17 7:46 p.m.

Picked up the motor yesterday fresh .30 over bore. New cam bearings and fresh deck. All the machine work and all the clearencing cost me 2200.

Motors at the body shop ready to get some paint. Hopefully be painted this week.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/16/17 9:18 a.m.

That's pretty.  So you aren't keeping the block in the living room with the rest of the parts?  smiley

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/16/17 9:35 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn : My girlfriend was less than impressed with all the boxes. If the motor would have came into the house I dont know that I would still be walking around! Sounds like they are painting it today!

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/16/17 4:51 p.m.

I rebuilt my PU 5spd in the den....that'll be the last time that ever happens again (stink eye)....nothing like a machined surface to make my eyes roll back into my head......what color ?

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/16/17 7:59 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG : block got painted today. From the factory they would have been blue. We ended up shooting black just because that's the color scheme on the rest of the trim. Should look sharp.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/16/17 8:54 p.m.

It may have been said earlier but I forget - are you going with aftermarket aluminum heads?

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/17/17 7:45 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn : yes RPM performar alum heads and alum intake. Going use to FI tech fuel injection.

list of stuff still to order

Oil pan
Windage tray
Rockers
Pushrods
Fuel Injection
Electric fuel pump
Valve covers
Serpentine conversion

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/17/17 9:18 a.m.

Looking forward to the FITECH install. Mine is still on the shelf after starting the car up with a carb and not being motivated to change what is working.

Interesting survey on the FITECH Facebook page has   three  common issues.

Poor power to the throttle body

Poor ground back to battery

Firmware update for a glitch that hangs the throttle body  program in rich "Cold-start" mode.

All easily remedied.

Word on the street is that the Fuel Command Center is less than reliable.

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/17/17 9:33 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I follow the FItech facebook page. Like you said I will definitely be triple checking ground and making sure i feel really good about the electrical before I fire it up. Still debating about dyno before. I feel like the engine dyno would be worth the cost and if there are any issues they are much easier to address outside of the car.

Im going to stay away from the fuel command. Putting a couple gallons of gas next to a hot motor isn't exactly my idea of a good time.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Nc9NrMMF6X4cu0TSPzy92C17WB0dUvacaQUaMxiusXyJd20EQ4yDZ9Yc52Rpthi