5 6 7 8 9
Norma66
Norma66 Reader
5/12/18 9:58 p.m.

Threw on the new lower rad hose and burped the e36 m3 our of her. 

been having issues with the coolant running to the overflow but not pulling back in when temp drops. Not something I’m going to burn a ton of time figuring out now but it’s annoying. 

Got the exterior cleaned up and looking fierce. 

A slew of new Parts showed up. CVF racing serpentine conversion. Crazy how small parts are. This is the power steering pump

Plan on the motor build next month. Suspension swap soon after

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/12/18 10:05 p.m.

Coolant not pulling back into radiator could be as simple as a bad radiator cap or a chunk of crud in the bottom of the overflow bottle.  I have had both of these happen over the years.

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
5/12/18 10:16 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I have a feeling I have air somewhere in the system and it’s not pulling vacuum like it should. At this point with a new motor on the way it’s more of a inconvenience than something I’m going to troubleshoot. Just makes me want to swap the motor sooner, and let’s face it I need some motivation to climb that mountain!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/13/18 9:28 p.m.

In reply to Norma66 :

Motivation like rah rah go norma66, or motivation like a blanket party from the members of your platoon in a dark barracks at 3AM?

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
7/8/18 9:26 p.m.

I had big goals this summer to have the motor/ tranny swapped and rearend rebuilt before good guys July fourth weekend. Obviously fell way short of that. Swung by to clean the daily tonight and saw the old girl and realized I need to get it together. Tires have spiders on them. Things been sitting long enough.

Time to get the motor out and build the dang thing already. 

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
7/8/18 10:07 p.m.

In reply to Norma66 :

Yes. Glad to see this thread pop up again. I really like this car.

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
7/12/18 7:00 a.m.

Alright guru's of the internet. Help me pick out a combo that makes sense. Motor will be a 445FE with aluminum heads and Fuel injection.  I feel like both combos will be fun. Any thoughts?

Tremecs website has a calculator if anyone wants to mix and match another combo.

http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/12/18 8:51 a.m.

I'd go with the 3.73 gears.  You'll have plenty of torque out of that engine, I don't know that 4.11's are necessary.  Having said that I suppose it depends on how fast you will typically drive on the highway...if you're only going 60mph, the engine may be lugging in 5th gear.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/12/18 8:53 a.m.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
7/12/18 9:02 a.m.

Depends on how you plan to drive it.

Road trips, 3.73's

Generally thrashing it, stop light to stoplight, drag racing or autox, 4.11's.

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
7/12/18 9:11 a.m.

My goal with the car is "Rowdy"

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
7/12/18 9:17 a.m.
Norma66 said:

My goal with the car is "Rowdy"

That was this little guy's name! I now vote for 4.11's.

He would have been 20 on July 4th. He had 17 pretty great years.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
7/12/18 9:19 a.m.

BTW, HE was the Salty Dog. smiley

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/12/18 9:37 a.m.

If you're looking for a graph to see more than just one RPM:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lW4baywVA7gJS9IlkeIn-O62xxHHaI1M

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
7/12/18 12:10 p.m.

how can i verify that at cruising speeds in fifth i wont be on a 8 second bronco ride?

On a side note my tires are W rated for 168MPH.

devil

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
7/18/18 12:34 p.m.

And so it begins

I oiled the block heavily before storage and still have some surface rust on the deck. Anyone have some good recommendations that won’t trash my machine work?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/18/18 1:14 p.m.

A little WD-40 and a Scotchbrite pad, followed by thorough cleaning (do what you can to keep any swarf from dripping down in the cylinder bores.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
7/18/18 5:34 p.m.

What Stuart said. WD-40 needs to be removed when you're done using it as a cleaner. Clean the cleaner, as it were. Also note that scotchbrite pads are abrasive and you need to be really careful to make sure there's no dust from them anywhere when you're done. Dawn dish soap and careful rinsing of the bores before you assemble.

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
7/23/18 8:43 p.m.

Cleaned up the cylinder bores today with a hone. Put some Gibbs on it overnight. Going to hit the deck with a whizzer tomorrow. One that’s just plastic no media. Making progress finally.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/24/18 8:57 a.m.

That rust looks like it should clean up pretty easily.  Glad to see the project moving forward.

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
7/24/18 9:40 p.m.

Blocks all cleaned up. Need to do one quick clean again before assembly and we should be off. 

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
7/30/18 11:50 a.m.

Got the car moved out to my buddies to switch the motor trans and suspension.

Got the cam in the motor and just waiting on the gasket kit to start on the rear main seal. 

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
8/7/18 7:48 a.m.

Got the exhaust off, radiator off, lot of the wiring and the ignition disconnected. Just need to remove driveshaft and motor mounts. Then it’s motor pulling time. 

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
8/9/18 7:22 a.m.

Yanked the drive shaft. Disconnected the rest of the wiring. This thing needs new wiring bad. 

Now for the actual hard part, Reconstruction 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/9/18 7:55 a.m.

ahhh, the mandatory puddle of trans fluid. 

after about 40 engine pulls/swaps, ive still never managed to do one without dumping trans fluid. even when the trans stayed in the car. its a law of the universe, as near as i can tell. 

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TvIjAFzY4MDuL0162YXJFLf2CfeMq8BIHOYGvaHkH9kf1WxPkkRCClfFP6nKI1pg