jdogg
jdogg Reader
4/16/21 12:01 p.m.

As far as URO, my valve cover gasket I bought didn't exactly fit on my XJR but I was able to make it fit, they put the tabs off by a little bit.

Whether this was electrolysis or what, I don't know, but it sealed good and I'm not leaking oil anymore.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
9/18/21 10:38 a.m.

Back into it Again....

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
9/18/21 11:01 a.m.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
9/18/21 12:43 p.m.

M10 x 1.5 All Thread. Spring compressor / decompression.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
9/18/21 5:56 p.m.

Lower control arm bushings.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/12/21 3:00 p.m.

I've needed a front alignment for a while.

And finally got new shoes on the old cat.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/12/21 9:19 p.m.

Wow,  you almost got everything out of that tire. No sense in replacing them prematurely! 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/13/21 6:35 p.m.

True.  It was getting pretty sketchy driving in the rain.  I've never ran a set of tires this bald, but I didn't want to buy new tires until I could get the alignment done.  And I couldn't get the alignment until I finished replacing the ball joints and all the bushings.  It took a while to get it done with all the other life commitments.

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/14/21 10:12 a.m.

Knock on wood, I haven't had any suspension issues, yet.  Driving the XJ8 is a fun experience.  So far, my XJ is just a good car, that does car things well.

jdogg
jdogg Reader
11/28/21 8:26 a.m.

That front tire is what I would expect out of the rear tires on an XJR

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
12/17/21 12:18 p.m.

Finally got around to replacing the power steering pump.  One of the seals in there must have let go, because it was leaking about a quart every two weeks.

Remanufactured unit from RockAuto.

I put on a new low pressure supply hose too.  It was a pretty straight forward job and the bolts were easy to access. Well done Jaguar design Engineers.

jdogg
jdogg Reader
12/22/21 2:17 a.m.

Need any Jag bits? The Orlando U Pull It has like 6 in there including a Sport model which is an XJR without the supercharger.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/21/22 9:08 p.m.

The green stable mate was getting some trouble shooting work so I grabbed these pics to share with Stampie:

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/21/22 9:20 p.m.

What are you troubleshooting?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/21/22 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I notice that you don't have metal plates under your jack and jack stands.  Us Florida men like to be safe so that we can continue to be Florida men.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/21/22 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

It's been stationary for a few months waiting on me to recover from Covid and then for the snow and ice to melt off.  It hit the 60's today. 

I'm chasing a no start condition. Even after a brand new battery installation.  I think it's due for some new ground straps (body to engine) and a new starter.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/21/22 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Didn't want to say it but I thought it's a Jaguar so probably doesn't start.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/22/22 9:32 a.m.

Try the other key!!! One key turns the tumbler but doesn't start the car. Dunno why, but the whole time I had it only the one key ever worked.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/22/22 11:44 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Didn't want to say it but I thought it's a Jaguar so probably doesn't start.

The green one has always cranked slower than my OG black one.  I'm happy to report that the black one is doing daily duty just fine:

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/22/22 11:50 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Try the other key!!! One key turns the tumbler but doesn't start the car. Dunno why, but the whole time I had it only the one key ever worked.

Thanks for the tip, but that's not the problem this time around.  It left SWMBO stranded in a parking lot, after she sat in the car eating her supper while listening to the radio (ignition on) for about an hour.  Car started with a quick jump start, so I figure the battery was weak and wanted her to be all good to go. 

The ground strap (from body to engine) is right near the starter and looks pretty crusty.  I ran a temporary extension (see jumper cables in above pic) and it would slowly crank.  After letting it crank for several seconds, I went back under to investigate and the temperary ground cables were very warm.  I think the starter is trying to pull too many amps.  New one is on order from RockAuto for 139$ plus shipping.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/26/22 3:52 p.m.

I'm digging into this now.

Ground strap was 100% contributing to the problem

Didn't take much at all to separate things:

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/26/22 4:35 p.m.

Grounds are real important on these cars. All kinds of wonky things can happen. On the 2004 up, I know there are ground points behind the head lights, they're important too.  Be careful, overtightening, the studs can snap.  Glad to see you using it, mine's hibernating.  Using the other XJ (Jeep), for winter duty

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/26/22 7:18 p.m.

It's always something. sad

Brand new starter wouldn't fit.

The casting is a different shape.  There's a node that hits on the block.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/27/22 8:22 a.m.

Weird!

I mean, I'd think you could swap that rear casting in a pinch, but probably better to get whoever you bought the starter from to get you the right part.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
3/13/22 9:09 a.m.

We had a visitor last night. yes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2cCMkjwmgy8DqPIBQxTd3vJQ7NJjYQRN5MvQAQ9NPIFTXfzO59cUZ4pjbNrGEK4O