Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
8/24/20 8:13 p.m.
captainawesome said:

Just to show what I did over the weekend, it's a boat on a trailer! We have some hot days in the next few days, so it's a good time to get that fresh paint baked in a little.

Untitled by hatchethairy, on Flickr

she's a beaut clark - Imgflip

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/1/20 7:51 a.m.

I spent my weekend at Heartland, but took Monday off to tinker. Originally I wanted to start painting inside the hull, gunwales, and transom but decided to do some easy gratifying stuff instead.

New windshield gasket and some of the hardware were replaced. I wish I could have found the windshield trim in black, but the white looks pretty good. I'm just happy to have managed to install the windshield by myself without scratching paint.

All cleats and navigation lights were installed.

I riveted on the new stainless emblems as well as the splashwell trim pieces. I found some that were a perfect match for my existing holes, so no drilling was required.

Registration sticker and decals were stuck on. Notice the Peanut Butter letters in the splashwell. For those that haven't watched the movie "Peanut Butter Falcon", it's a good flick. The wife thought it was a perfect name for the boat. You know, the boat is a Falcon, but it's now a Peanut Butter Falcon.

So, it doesn't seem like I did much, but this all accounts for a few hours of tinkering. The boat now looks like a boat that can float. A boat that can float and do boat stuff. I'm more motivated than ever to finish up the rest, so this week I'm hoping to finish ALL paint and start interior over the weekend. Fingers crossed nothing gets in my way.

It doesn't show up well in the pics, but there's a silver drop shadow on the letters.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/1/20 8:45 a.m.

at first i was like "it's a boat, who cares?" but now i'm all like "berkeley yeah, that's a sweet boat!"

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
9/1/20 8:52 a.m.

I love the shadowed letters.  Where'd you find them?

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/1/20 9:02 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Boatus.com

It was $70.92 after tax for registration numbers and the boat name letters. They sent a spare registration set as well as a spare boat name set for free. It's nice to know I have spares, and they are good quality. The designer App made the choice easier as you can play with the settings a bit. I probably should have done the shadow opposite of each side now that I think of it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
9/1/20 9:15 a.m.

Nice.  Ill play with it, thanks.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/12/20 3:05 p.m.

I didn't get any paint done with my three day weekend, nor any throughout this week. I totally planned to start prep today, but those pesky seat brackets were staring at me. Begging me to just give them a home. So instead of a coat of primer I finished the seat mounts.

I cut up some ply, sanded, attached brackets, screwed in the snaps for the cushions, magnetic latches, etc. The whole enchilada. It took a few hours of fiddling to do all that, but I'm happy it's done and functions exactly as planned.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/14/20 7:21 a.m.

Sunday I spent some more time filling holes/voids and sanding the dash. Same with the seat base. First coat of gray went on the wood bits, and the remaider of the day I just tinkered. I made a new VIN tag for the trailer and riveted it on. Adjusted bunk boards and rollers on the trailer. Installed the trailer tag. Taped the gunwales and dash for first coat of primer this evening.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/18/20 7:13 a.m.

Gunwales and dash are painted plus another coat on the bench seat pieces and kickboard. Inside the hull will get it's first coat tonight and be finished by the end of the weekend. That means next week I'll be assembling things back together! I've got a water pump impeller kit to install in the 25hp, still haven't picked up the 40hp and now I'm not so certain I will.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/21/20 7:22 a.m.

Inside hull is painted. All seat pieces are painted. This week will be carpet, assembly of steering, and water pump. I know it's probably not going to happen, but I WANT to put this thing in the water by the weekend. Unfortunately I am out of town Saturday, so if there's any chance of dropping this in, Sunday is the day. Wish me luck.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/21/20 7:56 a.m.

Congrats' on the forward momentum.  The shadowed lettering is a nice touch, it's looking pretty good.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/21/20 10:07 a.m.

That is a good looking boat, my friend.

Are you going to be able to stand having the outboard on there with it looking like it does?

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/21/20 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It's been weighing heavily on my mind. I'll probably leave it skanky for now and start making things purty when time allows. Luckily it won't take but a weekend or two to freshen up and look as good as the boat. I still want to snatch up the 40 horse one, but budget has been tight and the guy was dragging his feet to finish it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/21/20 11:16 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

I figured.  It is one of the reasons that I generally start with the motor.  Gives you a quick shot of "damn, that was easy and it looks good, this boat'll be a piece of cake"

If you want to go as accurate as possible, check out this guy http://nymarine.ca/colours.html

If not, there are plenty of near-enough matches out there.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/29/20 9:50 a.m.

Got a lot done over the weekend. I woke up Saturday feeling great and in a perfect mood to tackle the carpet. I spent a few minutes taping up around the workspace and getting EVERYTHING you could think of ready to go. I trimmed the overall width within a couple inches, then rolled it all out inside the boat. After situating it, I trimmed it all to a more manageable size. We started around the bench seat area gluing only a couple feet at a time. I changed gloves like 30 times so I didn't get glue everywhere on the topside. After getting it all laid out and glued I used a 4 inch carpet seam roller to help press it all down. I learned a lot of what NOT to do with the bunk boards, so it was nice for everything to go as planned. It took some courage, but I started the final trim. It turned out pretty damn good I think. Since weather was nice and warm I rolled the boat out into the driveway to get some dry time before messing with anything else.

Sunday was taken up by some family stuff, so no work.

Monday morning I woke up feeling like crap, so I took the day off. After a few hours of rest I decided to just tinker with the steering spool and wire. Next thing you know all of the steering assembly is in place and fastened to the outboard. It took some time to make sure I had it all right before I committed to cutting the excess cable, but it works like it's supposed to.  I took a lunch break and felt crappy again, so more rest. After a while I decided to mess with the control box and cables as it couldn't take too long. With that out of the way I screwed down the kick board, rear bench seat, and on to the front bucket seats. I spent about a half hour messing with position to make sure I could get each one to rotate 360 plus give a little bit of space between each one for easier access.

Still need to do the water pump, hook up fuel tank, grease wheel bearings, mount hitch to the wife's Santa Fe plus wiring, and in the water she will go. I'll probably wait until Saturday to drop it in the water versus at dusk. Seems sketch to have a maiden voyage right before dark, and right now I don't have navigation lights wired up.

Both of my control cables have some spots of separation. They still function okay, but may try to find some new ones to replace these if they aren't too crazy in cost.

java230
java230 UberDork
9/29/20 10:19 a.m.

So clean!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/29/20 11:13 a.m.

I love it, can't wait to see vids of her on the water.

Cables are fairly easy to find, I think they changed the connections in the late '70s, so make sure you look for the appropriate date/year.

I noticed you went with two springs in the control cables.  I posted something about that in this thread or mine a while back.  I've never experienced the faults a dual-spring can cause, but it sounds like no fun.  Kind of the death-wobble of boats?

I picked up a lot of 4 vintage Atwood light masts recently.  I haven't unpacked them all, but they should look like this.  Any interest in one?

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/29/20 12:05 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I haven't read anything about those springs, but I'll go hunting to see what's been said about them. The ones I took off looked to still be completely functional minus being cosmetically challenged. Same with the cable, I just replaced it with stainless and a thicker gauge. The two wheels in the splashwell were brittle, but the other 4 inside the hull were in good shape.

I'm interested in a light mast for sure. Shoot me an email at dh318x at gmail.com

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/29/20 12:48 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

When you do re-run the steering cable:

Here we go.  I'll email you on the lights

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/29/20 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Interesting on the single spring. Mine already had two, so I just assumed that's how it should be. Also, oddly enough the springs are sold in pairs. Pretty sure I've seen this configuration in pictures before, but I think there's some more research to do it looks like.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/29/20 1:01 p.m.

It may be a weight thing once you get into heavier motors/boats, but I know that every old outboard guy I've met has cautioned me against doing twin springs

Curtis is a boat guy, maybe he has an idea as to what's up

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/29/20 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It would really suck to switch to one spring at this point. I would have to buy a whole new cable to make it work. Fingers crossed it works as intended, but if not I'll have a good idea as to what caused it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/29/20 1:23 p.m.
11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
9/29/20 2:20 p.m.

Wow, great work!  That looks way better than new.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/29/20 2:30 p.m.

Captain, helluva build, but you need to put Thimbles (~$2) around those cable turns; that's a stress concentrator and weakens the cable prematurely.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x9PgsP9wGd8xOWp8klgQyIW3o5RHimnnO1hwSsZmmUEn3YdzKTIKoc9uL3aZnGHY