1 2 3 4
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/20/21 5:37 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

That's drivers side mirror is in much better shape than mine.  I'll send you an email...

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/21/21 9:02 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to 84FSP :

I saw that.  My friend bought it.  It's missing a bunch of parts too.

I should be able to find a schrick vgi complete for less money and the schrick performs better.

doesn't have the cool vw Motorsports cred tho

Just happy to have more VR6 Wookie noises in the neighborhood.  It wasn't the best or most powerful engine but it made nice noises.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/21/21 11:19 a.m.

They do sound amazing.  This car has a techtonics exhaust, which I really like the sound of.

need to figure out a tip for it tho, right now it's just the plain pipe

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/21/21 10:04 p.m.

So, parts accumulation happening thanks to other GRM'ers.  I'm grabbing the mirror assemblies from matthewmcl, mostly for the drivers side glass, but extra parts are always good.  Then I grabbed that Momo race steering wheel that popped up in the parts forum here.

I already have a momo steering wheel in my basement but it's a Mod 07, so a dished wheel that will look kinda funny in the car.  I also found a momo race air leather shift knob with the proper VW fitment, it'll actually screw right onto the shift rod vs using set screws.  I'll grab a leather shift boot from a vendor the seller sent me a link to, some place in Germany it looks like.

Loaded up the cart on SpoonFed with the 90mm euro knock off front spoiler and floor/trunk mats.  Won't buy those till later tho.  Also need to grab a set (or two in case they stop making them) of the fog light lens that VX Tuning makes since the ones on the car are cracked, like all of them are.  Hopefully VX Tuning will come out with the euro VR6 headlight bezels and lens too, I need a set of those.  The car has G60 euro headlights on it, which sit inboards a little bit and one of the lens is cracked a bit.

The Euro headlights used to be a dime a dozen, not a decent set of VR6 lights are $800-1000 and a good set are $1200+.  Not that I knew this 21 years ago but I'm really wishing I'd kept some of the parts from my first corrado...

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/22/21 6:54 a.m.

You can get almost all the parts repop now as long as you have a set of G60 reflectors to build from.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/22/21 9:02 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Are the vr6 lens and bezels available somewhere?  I didn't think they were.

car has g60 e codes on it now but one of the lens is cracked

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/23/21 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

DSM graveyard used to be great on otherwise NLA DSM performance bits, but that was a decade ago. I'm running into the same situation with BG chassis with regards to suspension bits. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/26/21 1:53 p.m.

Well, went parts shopping today!  I managed to order everything I needed to complete the car. 

I also received some parts like the side mirrors and MOMO race steering wheel.  The direct fitment MOMO shift knob should be here on Monday.

I scored a brand new set of under hood insulation from the Corrado FB group and also managed to find an Autotech front upper stressbar.  These stress bars used to be ubiquitous, every single tuner shop made one.  Now you can't find them at all and if the tuner shops are still around, they no longer make them.  So I posted a WTB on the Corrado FB group and bought this one when the guy responded to me. 

Next up was buying the climatronic hvac plastic surround.  Luckily this was easy, VW still makes it, so I ordered it from ECS Tuning along with an oil filter so I could get free shipping.  Then I grabbed a shift boot from RedlineGoods.com.  An upgrade over stock as it's real leather. 

Lastly, and this was the one that hurt, was ordering all the lens and bezels I need from VX Tuning.  They're making fog light and headlight lens and bezels.  I ordered two sets of each, one to put on the car to replace the cracked stuff and one to have on my shelf in case they stop making them or go out of business.

So with the exception of an exhaust tip, a larger rear sway bar, a set of bilstein shocks/struts, a set of tires (Falken RT660's are my plan) and a Schrick VGI, I've got everything I need to finish out the car.  Everything should be easy to find except the Schrick VGI.  That's going to take some luck to find one and then if one is posted being quick enough to see the ad to grab it before someone else does.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/28/21 9:59 a.m.

So my car is coming with G60 Euro headlights, with one broken lens.  No problem, I'll order the necessary VR6 lens and bezels from VX Tuning, which I did the other day.  Then I went onto their website and read that they actually haven't made the bezels yet and won't until they get enough orders of them.  You can't find these VR6 bezels anywhere, they're total unobtanium at this point.

Ummm.....  No idea how long that'll take, I sent them an email asking them how many orders they need and how many they've gotten already but no reply yet.  Sigh.  Not a big deal except one of the G60 headlights has a cracked/broken lens.  Nobody makes the G60 e codes headlight lens.

Dammit.  I can't really run the VR6 lens with the G60 bezels as the VR6 lens sit out 1/2" more.  Then this morning on one of the Corrado FB groups someone posts 2 sets of VR6 e code headlights.  They aren't perfect but they're coming with a bunch of parts.  So in a fit, I bought them.

My plan is to run the good set of Vr6 headlights on my car.  Get the lens from VX tuning and make another good set of VR6 lights to sell, then sell the G60 lights as is.  Or if I hear from VX tuning that they're going to make the VR6 bezels shortly I'll convert the G60 lights into VR6 lights and then sell two sets of VR6 lights.  Hopefully that'll get most of my investment in these two sets back and I'll have a proper set of VR6 lights on the car. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/2/21 4:31 p.m.

Well, I have a set of euro bezels on their way from Germany.  There supposedly is very little difference between the early VR6 ones and the late ones.  Hopefully that's true and these early VR6 ones fit.

Got a shipping notification that VX Tuning is sending my fog light lens.  Next month the headlight lens should show up.

Talked with a few shipping companies, Reliable is $1900 for enclosed transport.  East/West os $1785 for enclosed, $1385 for open but guaranteed top deck location so the car doesn't get dripped on.  I'll probably do the latter.  Hopefully the seller gets the title in another week or so, then I can arrange transport...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/8/21 8:04 a.m.

I also found two basically complete sets of Euro VR6 headlights from the FB corrado group.  Bought them but they came with broken upper mounting tabs.  Another corrado friend suggested sending them to Perfections Plastics, which can remake the tabs and mold them back on, repair looks perfect.  I contacted them and they need a set of unbroken headlights to make the mold from.  Luckily that same friend had a set of unbroken ones, along with some broken ones he also wanted fixed.  So he sent those in and I sent mine.  Hopefully I get back two repaired sets of lights.

One will go on the car, another will go in my basement and I'll sell the third set and hopefully recoup most of my money.

I also think I scored a piece of unobtanium, a Schrick variable length intake manifold.  These add a significant amount of mid range torque and high end power.  They were expensive back in the day and not many people bought them, so finding one now is pretty hard.  The one I found is OBD2, but IABED makes an adapter so my OBD1 throttle body will bolt on.  I should hopefully have it in a week or two.

The seller of my car got the plates the other day, so hopefully the title isn't too far behind.  He still has a few tasks to complete on the car and I'd like him to put a few hundred miles on it before the truck picks it up.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/21 9:18 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I feel your pain in regards to unobtainium parts. There were so many cool & worthwile upgrades to the DSM back in the 90's & earl-00's(especially to beef up the drivetrain) that just never come up for sale now.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
4/8/21 4:07 p.m.

It's strange that the availability of parts (especially for performance) is so good now for Triumphs and better than the '80s IMO.  I wonder if somebody will eventually start producing parts for older German and Japanese cars that have fallen out of popularity/availability.  I hope so.  There are some really good cars like this one that deserve to be saved.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/8/21 6:27 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

That'll happen as those cars go up in value.  When they're cheap, nobody is willing to pay $300 for part.  When they're expensive, $300 for the part is acceptable.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/14/21 2:59 p.m.

A piece of unobtanium showed up the other night.  An autotech upper stressbar!  Nice aluminum construction, along with a nice dent in one of the bars.  Well, I'll just put that on the bottom side apparently.  Previous owner painted it red, I'll be stripping that off and going with the bare aluminum look.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/15/21 8:32 p.m.

So a very sweet part got delivered today.  Later VW vr6's, and most cars for that matter, came with a variable intake runner manifold.

That wasn't the case on the earlier vr6's like the corrado.  Instead you spent a whole pile of money for one made by Schrick, or an even larger pile for the VW Motorsport version.

My friend grabbed that VW Motorsport vsr that was listed recently and I kept looking for the schrick version.  The Schrick is less expensive, makes more power and in theory, easier to find.

In theory becausr both parts are basically unobtanium at this point and neither come up for sale.  

Luckily someone posted a link to one on Craigslist in PA.  Only the Craigslist email was listed as a contact, no phone number or text.  I emailed twice and after what seemed forever got a response back.  Guy gave his phone number and requested that I call.

So I immediately called and found out that I was the only person who had actually picked up the phone and talked to him.  He put me in touch with his brother, who was actually selling it.

It was still on the car, which was good because that meant that all the parts were still there.  We chatted a bit, he pulled it off and boxed it up.  I sent him a shipping label and PayPal and it showed up today!

I need to clean it up, someone painted part of it black, which is coming off and it's generally grimy.  However, it's all there!  It's meant for an obd2 car but I'll block off the egr on the car and I've found a place that'll make an adapter for me to mount my obd1 throttle body on it.

Super stoked as these add an enormous lump of mid range torque and about 10rwhp up top.  It'll compliment my 268 cams very well.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
4/16/21 6:46 p.m.

That is a sweet setup sir!  Great score.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/17/21 9:43 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Thanks!  It was the first VGI I'd seen listed for sale in a long time. 

Anyone have any ideas on how I could clean it up?  I don't have a sand blaster/blast cabinet at home, or access to one close by.  A friend with a shop has offered to let me use his, which is very generous, but his shop is 1.5 hours away...

demnted
demnted New Reader
4/17/21 10:13 a.m.

Scotch brite will suck but should return to aluminum look

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/17/21 10:36 a.m.

Shop sent me a picture of the adapter they're CNC'ing for me.  This will let me bolt my OBD1 throttle body to the OBD2 Schrick VGI

So like red or green scotchbrite pads to clean up the manifold?

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
4/17/21 11:02 a.m.

If you can fully disassemble and remove any plastic bits then aircraft stripper would be my go to and will remove everything and bring it back to an aluminum finish.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/3/21 8:52 a.m.

Got my last few parts in, a set of e code VR6 euro headlight lens, a set of e code headlight bezels (from Germany, took forever to get here!) and a set of e code headlight adjusters from Phenix Engineering.  I heard back from the plastic restoration guy, he's received my friends headlights and will start working on ours soon. 

I've been slowly cleaning up the Schrick VGI, still have some polishing to do on it, got slowed down by having to be at the base this weekend. 

Heard from the seller of my car, the punch list has grown on the car.  Apparently he had to replace the radiator and radiator neck due to the radiator being partially blocked.  Oddly enough the coolant temp gauge in the cluster isn't reading accurately.  Swapping out the sender and then even the cluster gives a variety of different readings that don't match what the ECU is seeing (can monitor that via Vag Com).  This tells me that the discrepancy is due to OGCS (Old German Car Syndrome).  Decision made to leave it alone and just realize that the gauge reads one hash mark higher than reality.  I may try and swap in a bunch of different senders to see if I can find one that reads a little closer to reality but I'm not going to sweat it too much.

Him installing a new radiator and radiator neck is HUGE!  The radiator's aren't available new anymore unless you buy a Chinese all aluminum knock off, or swap over to a different radiator support so you can run the Mk3 VR6 radiator setup.  The Chinese radiators aren't reliable and the Mk3 swap ends up costing close to $900 when you're all in.  So the fact that he put in a brand new radiator is pretty awesome.

Seller needs to run down the tasks at hand, which are either a right front CV joint or wheel bearing, rear wing motor clean up, get the side mirror motors working, repair the undercoating on a jack point, change the engine and transmission oil, adjust the shift linkage and exhaust and install a bunch of interior trim.

I'm impressed by his attention to detail and while I'd love to have the car by Memorial Day I'd rather wait a little longer and get a car that totally sorted instead.  Hopefully I get the car by my birthday, which is early July.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/11/21 2:21 p.m.

So unsurprisingly the Boge shocks ride like ass.  They're probably already blown out as they're OEM replacements and aren't really meant to be used on lowering springs.

So off I went to hunt for a set of Bilstein Sport shocks/struts, which are 1" shorter than the "regular" Bilsteins to work properly with lowering springs.  Of course trying to find them isn't all that easy.  I think I've found them in stock with FCP Euro.  So I'm going to order from them today and see what happens...

I'm still waiting for the plastics guy to get back to me on repairing my headlight housings as well as the headlight lens from VX Tuning.  VX said they'll hopefully ship in the next few weeks.  I still need to order a momo steering wheel hub and the floor mats/90mm euro front lip from SpoonFed.

In other news the seller is installing an oil cooler for me, I sent him the used kit I bought.  We're going to use the thermostatic sandwich plate from it mated with new AN lines and a Mocal 16 row cooler.  I joked with him about installing the 268 cams/lifters/hd valve springs at the same time, which he agreed to do!  Sweet!

Hopefully have the car done in the next few weeks and to me in early June...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/28/21 4:24 p.m.

Friend is going to check out the car tomorrow and handle the paperwork.  I sent him the check, seller is almost finished with my car and my friends car.  Plastics guy is still figuring out the best way to bond to the headlight housing plastics.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/28/21 6:27 p.m.

The intake manifold will clean up really well in your blast cabinet with glass beads.

The headlight housing plastic is more than likely ABS or an ABS/polycarbonate blend.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ArkrBpN5uRcegSuV9FQD7L8ZbOv56a7OubLajKMKuVJFLnJm4T0ZZ6R3qXvIOUmL