2 3 4 5 6
Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/1/21 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah all credit goes to you on that idea. I am not looking forward to working welding upside down, but I think it will be plenty strong. 
thanks again! 

3/22/21 11:00 a.m.

Used some weldable primer on my pactch pieces and got them welded in. Thanks to whoever on here that I picked up the prewarming idea from. 

4/15/21 10:56 a.m.

Got the square tubing all welded in, and spot welded in from the bottom. 

I had ground down the welds on the top and then boxed it in with 1/8" plate. 

10/29/21 6:38 p.m.

Well it had been awhile. Haven't worked on this much. After seeing all the challenge results has got me motivated to get going on this again. 

The most recent plan was to use a Saab/GM ecotec lk9 then use a chevy colorado MA5 transmission to go from FWD to rear wheel drive. 

I got the motor mounts all welded up and ready to go.  However I have another option now. Planning to pick it up this week don't want to jinx it, so I will just tuck this away for now. 

Started working on the clutch pedal set up. I would really like to find a oem 190e clutch set up. But haven't been able to find one for cheap yet. So I got a floor mounted clutch and compact master. 

There is not a lot of mounting room for the clutch pedal due to the combined length of the pedal and the master cylinder. So I still need to play around with Mount options to see what will work best. 

4x4 block of wood is just to get and idea of where to mount. That height gets me the furthest from the drivers seat due to the shape of the fire wall. 

10/29/21 6:48 p.m.

After seeing yupididit's 190e sportline will have to show off some of my oem sportline bits that are haggard and worn. 

Also noticed my two cars in this garage right now have two things in common. 

1. Sweet door panels 

2. Neither run lol. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/30/21 10:47 a.m.

How much are you looking to pay for an oem 3rd pedal setup? 

10/30/21 1:05 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Maybe around $100. 

I've seen one on FB marketplace for around 100 that came with the slave cylinder and the driveshaft. But haven't heard back from the guy. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/30/21 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Ah okay. 

I have a bin full of parts I haven't dared to look in yet lol

10/30/21 1:40 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Ha ha. Well if you find one. Shoot me a price. Really all I need is the clutch pedal brake pedal assembly. 

11/4/21 6:10 p.m.

The deal on the new engine and transmission came through. They guy I bought it from was great. He had a supercharged ls bmw x5, a 6.0 swapped 318 bmw, and a twin turbo 90s bmw of some sort. 

He was going to originally use the engine and transmission that I bought in a bmw but the oil pan was in the way of everything else, and he didn't want to buy the ecotec Miata pan for $800. 

So I bought all the parts he was going to use to swap into his bmw for my challenge Mercedes that I  already have set up for an ecotec oil pan. 

Here is a rough list of what I bought:

11/4/21 6:16 p.m.

He had ended up selling the MA5 from the colorado before I got to him, but I bought everything thing else and he threw in some other extra's like an intercooler and other exhaust piping. 

came with factory ecu and stock down pipe as well. 

here is a picture of everything once I got it home. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
11/4/21 8:18 p.m.

Oh this is getting exciting 

11/7/21 6:38 a.m.

New plan with the new engine is to set up a engine test pallet. I found some pictures  of a set up that I am going to try to do so I can test the engine before I start taking some stuff off of it to fit it in the car. 

This is an example of what I am going to do: 

The goal will to be able to work out any of the issues with plenty of space to work on everything. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
1/4/22 8:52 a.m.

I found the clutch-brake pedal assembly for $200. 

1/4/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Thanks for that. I sent the guy a message seeing if he will do $150 shipped. We will see if he responds. 

1/5/22 10:38 a.m.

Well the guy shot down my offer so I started searching some more. 

found that xcessive manufacturing  makes a clutch pedal that mounts onto the existing auto brake pedal mount.  I am tempted to try to make one myself and see if that works.

Does any one have a picture of how the factory clutch master cylinder is mounted in the car in a 190e? 

I am just going to keep looking for a good deal on an oem set up. Target of $100 or try to make my own. 

1/5/22 11:16 a.m.

Found some pics of the mounting in the ad yupididit sent me. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
1/6/22 2:17 a.m.

Damn he really declined that offer? He had it for sale for 4 months lol

2/6/22 4:41 p.m.

Pulled the plugs on the lnf and  put a little bit of marvel mystery oil down each cylinder. Couldn't find the right socket to turn it over and it was cold out so moved onto something else. 

plugs look burnt on the tops. Does this mean it was running lean or normal to see the whit on there? 

obsolete
obsolete HalfDork
2/6/22 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Looks pretty rich to me based on the carbon buildup on the porcelain. Or maybe just idled a bunch the last time it ran and didn't get hot enough to burn the deposits off.

That ground strap looks orange. Could be from fuel additives, or possibly coolant?

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
2/7/22 12:24 a.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

The deal on the new engine and transmission came through. They guy I bought it from was great. He had a supercharged ls bmw x5, a 6.0 swapped 318 bmw, and a twin turbo 90s bmw of some sort.

Pretty sure I know who that is from the Bimmerforums community. Unless somebody else has that same fleet!

2/7/22 12:11 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

The ground strap was more of a powdery white than and orange color. I think it was just a bad picture. 

2/7/22 12:12 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

It was quite the fleet. 

2/27/22 4:20 p.m.

Any one have any good advice on how to remove a dipstick tube with out ruining it? 

I am working on moving my engine mounts from the Saab ecotec over onto the lnf. My oversight in building the mounts was that I took out the dipstick tube then bolted on the Mount and then reinserted the dipstick through a hole in the motor mount I made back into the oil pan. 

I tried to remove the dipstick tube from the lnf and it will not budge. Tried vice grips a little tight but they just slid. I am worried if I tightened them any more it would collapse the tube. 

worst case scenario I will just change my engine mounts some. But would rather not. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
2/27/22 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter)

Warm the sump up with a MAP or propane torch. Wipe some ivory soap on the alloy first to use it for a thermal guide so you do not over heat it. When the soap turns carbon black stop heating, that is 500f

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HdwYUMzd5XmxHa1HqhjFom3rR8YkdYUt4wt95UcT1VEoId9VG1tyidxGsGPPEQtP