1 2 3
java230
java230 UberDork
2/1/21 9:52 a.m.

First 10k done!

Truck is working great. The bed setup works pretty well, the stove blocks pulling the fridge all the way out, but its OK so far. I will probably make a U shaped stove stand. Flip it upside down and the stove can nest in it for storage, flip it over on the end of the drawer and it makes a platform for the stove on the drawer. 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) HalfDork
2/2/21 3:46 p.m.

Great build! I might have to do one on my Taco even though it is not nearly as cool as this.

java230
java230 UberDork
2/2/21 4:14 p.m.

In reply to preach (fs) :

Thanks! so far I am pretty happy. Still need to do solar, and tidy up the bed wiring, but it works....

Also, the canopy is going to come off and get glued onto the bed..... It moves around a bit on washboard.... And is starting to leak at the front edge.

java230
java230 UberDork
2/24/21 10:00 a.m.

Sliders are doing there job, time for a touch up.

Also got the front plate installed. In WA its still required. Four neodymium magnets, rubber coated with a stud. Easy.

OK its a bit of a "technicality" its hard to see, but its on there.

Got 16" of snow over the weekend, truck worked great. Rear end is definitely lighter than the 4runner, but it works just fine. Need to pull the cap off and seal it to the bed..... It leaks....

Swapped out the grill insert for a Pro knock off. Just to relocate the TSS sensor.

I had glued it into the bottom of the surround, but it didn't like that spot. With the 20 degree down bean it was catching the edge of the bumper. Luckily the epoxy did not stick that well to the chrome, so a good tug popped it loose.

New Grill

Center in, TSS sensor.

java230
java230 UberDork
4/15/21 9:56 p.m.

Took the truck down the Oregon coat to CA to see the redwoods. Great little trip. Beaches, Dunes, tress. Good times.

3 people, one dog, 5 days worth of gear. Not bad at all. Back seat has 2 backpacks and 2 duffels, plus some jackets etc.

One little whoops.... Slid the slider window open, it hit the latch for the windoor and instantly shattered the glass. The bumper for the slider is super loose in the track and obviously didn't work.

java230
java230 UberDork
6/21/21 10:42 a.m.

Out exploring, still a fair bit of snow to be found. Didn't go too far into is being solo and now feeling like shovel and winch fest.

Need to fix and put chainsaw in truck.... 

But we found a great camp spot, right on the convergence of two creeks. And saw a total of two trucks. Just lovely.

java230
java230 UberDork
7/12/21 10:43 a.m.

After debating in Chris's thread on the land yacht. I ordered these (they have been on backorder forever!)

I am man child.

Debated doing an exhaust, but grown up me like quiet on freeways, mornings etc. Might be a tad loud, but it gives me the loud exhaust when wanted.... Nice units from ECS, all stainless, vacuum actuated to avoid electric stepper motor issues.

java230
java230 UberDork
7/15/21 2:25 p.m.

Cut outs went easy. Luckily there was a bolt on flange 4" from one, and 18" or so from the other. Made it WAY easier to get them slipped into place.

Marked and cut.

Grind the hanger off and weld onto the cutout. Forget the shield gas.... on stainless.....

Hit with black paint since your mig is really set up for mild steel.

Tucked in, no its not as close as it looks to the DS.

Wires run along the brake line, but all vac lines are mostly tucked under the factory cover.

Drive soon :lance:

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
7/15/21 3:24 p.m.

Truck is looking good. I'm a little jealous you can get off the shelf sliders for your rig. No such luck for my OBS Ford (not really a surprise).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/15/21 4:23 p.m.

I need to hear the cutouts and also I have several Tundras on my copart watchlist now.

java230
java230 UberDork
7/15/21 4:27 p.m.

30-60 WOT. Widows down, phone on dash mount. Not loud. I am surprised. Maybe 4 cats before them cuts it down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGE7ELQs8L0&ab_channel=java230

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/15/21 4:28 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

And now I'm adding more Tundras to the watchlist.

java230
java230 UberDork
7/15/21 4:29 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I too watched copart, they just went fo WAY too much locally. I literally bought this one cheaper than used if you factor financing. 

And carvana offered me 3k more than I paid for it yesterday!

java230
java230 UberDork
7/15/21 4:34 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Nothing for OBS? I am surprised? 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
7/15/21 5:16 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Ha, yeah. OBS people seem to be into long travel desert fun. Which is rad, but doesn't result in body protection from rocks. 

java230
java230 UberDork
8/16/21 4:39 p.m.
java230
java230 UberDork
8/23/21 10:19 a.m.

FINALLY got around to the body mount chop. I think this kit has been sitting here for 10-11 months??

cut

Weld. It was hard to get all the point off, so I have a bit of porosity in the welds. No biggie, nothing structural really.

Paint.

Then took a blow torch to the mud flap, bent it back to the new shape, and drilled and tapped the BMC plate. May get some pan had allen screws if it still rubs on the bolt head.

java230
java230 UberDork
8/26/21 2:41 p.m.

Not many pictures underneath, but the trailer harness reverse and ground were tapped into. Heat shrink glue connectors, and retaped the factory split loom. Toyota fully wrapped it, nice to see in a high spray area. Weather packs were added so bumper could easily be removed if needed.

Cut hole.

Wiring

Simple trick, use foam brush for the cut metal edge, just spray your paint onto the brush, a good soak, then go around the inside with the brush. Simple and easy

Done. These are flood/scene lights, so not a ton of throw, but nice to have a little more back there.

java230
java230 UberDork
9/23/21 4:47 p.m.

Solar time!

I had planned a rigid panel originally, but mounting with such a low roof rack meant it was almost impossible. So I ordered a flex panel.

Yes I loose some efficiency, yes it will probably add a bit of heat into the canopy. Its also a bit longer than the original plan. Bad news its shaded by the roof bars.... More efficiency lost. 

I measured, 22.5 is supposed to be max voltage, I was getting 21.6 with the shade.... Ill take it.

Step one, good in place with polyurethane sealant/adhesive (this probably would have been fine on its own.... Step two Etrenabond tape on the edges. Start at the back and lap towards the front for wind resistance when driving

Done. Controller tomorrow, maybe!

java230
java230 UberDork
10/18/21 12:59 p.m.

Friends texting you Sunday morning are bad....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KjskiNs55hGRvOdXgfREAw2zefEcdddFvVUbyo8i9XMa9cX2WMf7Wcr970KxuYem