slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
3/28/22 11:07 p.m.

Here is a small project that I have been slowly working on:

1962 Valiant Parts car, Was bought to Thoroughly Cut up save all the Sheet metal etc...

I got the Front taken off, Spot welds cut etc... then I thought this might make a nice trailer, so Here it is.

I call it the ValianTrailer

It's not totally done, but the major bits are complete and most of the wiring and paint is done now.

I was thinking that someday I Might Like to pull it with something like this:

Greg

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
3/28/22 11:09 p.m.

I Finally Found a Use for all those Pesky OE MoPar 13" x 4 1/2"  Wheels from the 1960's A Body Platform Cars...

They work perfect for trailers that are using small bolt pattern such as the ValianTrailer.  Cleaned them up, put some paint on them to match the roof.

Buffing supplies are on the way to clean up 2 of the OE '62 UFO Valiant hubcaps than I will toss them on the trailer as well.  

- A few more to-do's:
- Paint the Orange Panel that filled in between the front  folded down Roof and the floor... Bought Some more white paint for that.
- Make a Block off for the fuel filler - Weld it all up and Paint it Blue and this trailer will be done.

Some Photos:
Pesky 13x4 1/2's came in handy on this project... Mouted up some Fresh ST 175 80 13's along with new valve stems.

Lightened up the Rotating assembly and removed the backing plates and brakes.

The Wheels help it to look somewhat completed.

Also Got some "Heavy Haulin'" Bits installed:

Now I Can Tie stuff down and not have to worry that it will go flying around on the corners.

Hangin' out with the other '62:

Greg

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
4/19/22 10:41 p.m.

Recap:

Here it was the Day I Brought it Home in August 2021..  The Car was all there , but it was bad.  I bought it for just parts or so I thought.

Sold off or Cut off What I did not need:

Broke out the spotweld Cutter and Surgically Removed  / Kept / Stored the panels that only a certified MoPar Nut Like me would ever want or need...

Rusty Floors and Rails Said "No Bueno" for anything other than parts..

Even the Mighty Slant 6 Was Junk - Locked and Loaded full of rainwater. :-(

Sold off the Usable Rails And Halfway Decent Front Bench seat.

Gave the Front Doors To a friend of mine that Races a '62 Valiant..

The OE Heater Valve may live on in another one of my other valiants some day.. after it gets cleaned up.

During Construction:

And Now the ValianTrailer is done!!!!

Ready to Carry spare Wheels/ Tires / Gas Etc for that autoX or Track day.. Of course $ome $$ will buy you a prefabbed Box on wheels... Everyone has one of those..

See you at the Track!  

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
4/25/22 1:29 p.m.

Did some Hauling..

All went well.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
6/1/22 11:08 a.m.

Had to use the Trailer again for a family outing - I was the "grillemaster"  Brought the Propane Grille from home to the County park for a surprise 70th birthday party for the family.

Went home a different route through Downtown Pittsburgh.. Was waiting at a light to get into one of the local tunnels.. Lots of Honks and yes from random humans sharing the traffic experience with me.

Will be hauling from PA to Misourri  later this summer to pick up an engine.

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
6/1/22 1:17 p.m.

It's the most stylish utility trailer I have seen!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/1/22 1:22 p.m.

This has made me keep looking at my parts car Omni in backyard. 

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
6/1/22 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, 'Fo 'Sho...  The Omni Is better that What I did with that big hatch for access. - Although maybe with a skosh less personality.  It should be lighter, Have just rear wheel bearings like an actual trailer instead of the live Axle that I still have in my ValianTrailer.

Maybe a turisimo or 024 or evan a reliant / Aries Wagon back half would be the ultimate iteration of this project as a K / L Body Trailer Idea.

Not sure on the rear Spring Rating of the Chrysler K/L platform but some beefier coils could be had easily.

Good Luck on your thought experiment - now the the cutter and hot glue gun out and start acting on your ideas.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
6/1/22 2:10 p.m.

In reply to bgkast :

Thanks for the kind words.

I am tired of seeing expensive boxes on wheels that you get at the trailer store / home depot / tractor supply.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
6/6/22 8:27 a.m.

Trailering with 60 year old semi self built Junk has it's  giggle factor..

This week's escapades took us to a Nice Regional MoPar Show - About ~350 Miles Round Trip.

Was Loaded up for Parts Vending

The copilot approved of this trip 'cause there was a carousel and a good playground at the fairground where the show was located.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tfwWidGNBFG8vARrXUzXYpb1SXaQfrgcU523doQMBxylaUUxr8XwbWe3wf9ik9Hq