TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
9/18/19 3:49 p.m.

Here's a shiny new build thread for a new GRM member who perhaps feels a little lost.

He just joined the forum a little over a month ago and has been asking me lots of questions on my TVR thread about 2.3 EcoBoost engines and the fit of said engines into  60's Cortinas.  I know little about either.

So let's give him a big GRM welcome and lots of good advice.  This should be a fun project!

Here's his very first comments to me, and can serve as an opener to his Super Terrific Awesome Build Thread:

patentgeek said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

I have a '66 Ford Cortina Mk1 that a PO modified with a 4.3 Chevy V6, T56 transmission and 8-inch Ford rear end.  I'm considering other engine/transmission options and found this thread while surfing for info on Duratec/Ecoboost engine swaps.  A few questions:

• Why did you go with the 2.0l Ecoboost rather than the 2.3l?  It seems like a 2.3l from a (RWD) Mustang might have been a little more plug and play.
  • You indicate you considered the 3.7l V6 but went with the 2.0l.  On paper they seem to have similar performance characteristics and weights, but I expect the 2.0l is easier to fit.  Can you elaborate on the 2.0l I4 ca, 3.7l V6 choice?
  • If money wasn't a consideration, would you have used a Tremec TKO transmission or what you have?

For reference, some of the Duratec conversion parts sold by RetroFord UK might be of interest to others considering this conversion (e.g., engine mount kits, etc.):

http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/catalog/duratec

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/18/19 3:57 p.m.

best build thread ever!   i love EcoBoost Cortina but i hate TVR Scott, so I don't read his thread anymore.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
9/18/19 3:59 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

best build thread ever!   i love EcoBoost Cortina but i hate TVR Scott, so I don't read his thread anymore.

Totally!  That's why I did this!

patentgeek
patentgeek New Reader
9/24/19 4:59 p.m.

Here's a shiny new build thread for a new GRM member who perhaps feels a little lost.

He just joined the forum a little over a month ago and has been asking me lots of questions on my TVR thread about 2.3 EcoBoost engines and the fit of said engines into  60's Cortinas.  I know little about either.

I'm not lost, and as far as this thread you created goes - - - NO THANKS.

I've asked general questions in your thread about how you came to select a 2.0l Ecoboost for your project, what other engine alternatives you considered, etc.  I haven't asked any questions specific to fitting an Ecoboost into a Cortina.

Moderators, if you are watching, please feel free to delete this thread.  I didn't start it, but it has my username in the title, which is misleading.  I'll start my own thread when I'm ready to do so.  Thanks.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/24/19 5:09 p.m.

Well that's awkward.

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
9/24/19 6:23 p.m.

that escalated quickly...

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
9/24/19 6:26 p.m.

There I go again.  Add another hater to the list...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/24/19 6:30 p.m.

Ouch.

Well patentgeek, any Cortina project is cool...whenever you decide you're ready to share.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
9/24/19 7:03 p.m.

Personally, I like that TVR Scott guy. Don’t care what everyone else says about him. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
9/24/19 7:50 p.m.

I really did want you to share your project, and get help from a wider audience.

But I'm a shiny happy person with no filter and have to make a stupid joke out of everything.  It's a lifelong thing.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/24/19 8:01 p.m.

I thought this was a decent way to redirect a threadjack of a build thread.

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
9/25/19 2:28 a.m.

Well uh..

okay

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/25/19 9:41 a.m.
patentgeek said:

I'm not lost, and as far as this thread you created goes - - - NO THANKS.

I've asked general questions in your thread about how you came to select a 2.0l Ecoboost for your project, what other engine alternatives you considered, etc.  I haven't asked any questions specific to fitting an Ecoboost into a Cortina.

Moderators, if you are watching, please feel free to delete this thread.  I didn't start it, but it has my username in the title, which is misleading.  I'll start my own thread when I'm ready to do so.  Thanks.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/25/19 9:58 a.m.

While your enthusiasm is laudable, perhaps Patentgeek isn't ready to unveil his project or doesn't want help.  Unwritten rules and common courtesies shouldn't have to be written.

CJ
CJ HalfDork
9/25/19 10:12 p.m.

TVR Scott, no hate here.  You are doing amazing work!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/25/19 10:34 p.m.
914Driver said:

While your enthusiasm is laudable, perhaps Patentgeek isn't ready to unveil his project or doesn't want help.  Unwritten rules and common courtesies shouldn't have to be written.

I'm so confused.  Seems to me if he were not ready to unveil his project he wouldn't discuss it publicly in TVR Scotts thread

I agree with RossD that this is a good redirect of a threadjack.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/26/19 8:09 a.m.

This is a fun thread, TVR thanks for sharing looks cool and I hope patentgeek shows us more!

preach
preach New Reader
9/26/19 3:56 p.m.

TVR Scott is building a Cortina?

BarryNorman
BarryNorman New Reader
9/26/19 6:34 p.m.

This thread is becoming hard to ignore. Also, how does one normally deal with threadjacking?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UVS5XWiMmndn0FsZj6CCJBs5AjrkFVMcC6qGTMRw9mbVIMl46TBoXNX5ghj471x4