Nice!

dherr
dherr HalfDork
2/20/20 1:14 p.m.

Great to see it back together Greg!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
2/21/20 10:03 p.m.

wheelspeed sensors replaced. All TCS / ABS alerts have cleared. Still have a check engine light.

However, the car is starting and running well. And I believe that the CEL was due to part of the intake being off for access to the strut tower. 

I still need to add fluid to the brakes and bleed them. And put on at least my front summer wheels to drive it off the trailer.

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
2/22/20 1:32 a.m.

Looking good, great job saving her. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
2/22/20 1:28 p.m.

Lots more progress today. I stopped before brake bleeding last night because I ran out of daylight. so today I had to put together a new brake bleeding tool and get some help for my little buddy. Technically with this brake bleeding setup you can bleed your brakes solo but it's a little more challenging...

Drill a couple of holes in the cap of your bottle, so the air can come out, and put maybe an inch of brake fluid in the bottom. That way it won't suck air back in at any point. You can use the bleed screw as normal, or because the hose is holding suction if you have to do it solo it will hold fluid long enough for you to go from pumping the pedal to closing the breach bleed screw. This also shows any air bubbles that are in the line.

previously, I've use peanut butter containers would sit very nice and flat, but this is what was available

Fortunately I had a little buddy available today that I could use to press the pedal so that I could just loosen and tighten the bleed screw as necessary.

you can see he's wearing the appropriate attire quite proudly.

after bleeding the brakes I found that I had a leak at the passenger side hose to caliper and had to replace the copper washer before that sealed properly properly.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
2/22/20 1:32 p.m.

With the brakes sealed up, as able to reinstall the front wheels on the car using my summer wheel and after I took the nose off the car for best clearance, successfully drove off the trailer.

I use my floor jack under the rear edge of the trailer to support the cars weight so it wouldn't jump if the weight went over center to the rear 

With that Minor detail handled, the unloading went without drama

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
2/22/20 1:35 p.m.

Once the car was on the ground C Smith quite willingly hopped into remove the dealer sticker from the trunk since it was a much warmer day than the last time we tried.

I have no interest in advertising them, particularly since they were in 3 hard hits against my credit for the loan that is now disappeared thanks to the insurance settlement. I'm going to have to reach out to the credit bureaus and or wait 2 years for those to fall off my report. Argh 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/22/20 1:40 p.m.

So, I still had a check engine light and the hood gap at the leading edge was tighter that I would prefer. I disconnected the battery to clear the check engine light and while the hood was up I used a brick chisel wrapped in four layers of towel to massage the fender outwards right alongside the seam under the hood. Most likely this pretty much just stretched out the mounting ear opening. It didn't even damage the paint, even though this fender will be repainted....

after the battery was reconnected the check engine light cleared but traction control and stability control lights returns. I believe those take a little bit of time actually moving for the sensors to register and report properly after a battery replacement.

Also installed the rear wheels so it matches.

hopefully within a week I will have the salvage title which will release the final insurance funds, 

Then I can schedule my four wheel alignment and rebuilt title inspection. The same place does both around here and is my go-to place for alignments anyway.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/22/20 4:29 p.m.

Yeah, when I bought the R for cash this summer the dealer hit my credit.  Which I was pissed about because I paid cash.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/22/20 5:59 p.m.

Great work saving this one!!

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
2/22/20 9:42 p.m.

The traction control and stability lights should go out once you go for a drive as long as everything is functional again.  If you've still got issues look into ForScan.  I loaded a trial version on my laptop for looking at some things on your old NC.  That car should pass the enhanced inspection without any trouble too, it'll be a driver soon.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
2/23/20 4:23 p.m.

Glad you saved it.  I have a Laguna Blue NA that was also saved.  It's sad what insurance companies can do to good cars via salvage titles.  I think its mostly just a scam to get you to buy a new car.  

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
2/23/20 7:51 p.m.

Great job bringing this one back!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
2/24/20 3:14 p.m.
Nitroracer said:

The traction control and stability lights should go out once you go for a drive as long as everything is functional again. 

Yeah. considering the lights cleared as soon as I installed the sensors, I think it's just a sensor not found error. And after I pulled the battery it's just got to relearn itself.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/5/20 8:52 p.m.

Salvage title finally has arrived! 

Now, time to schedule my state "enhanced inspection" and 4-wheel alignment. 

...and I get to pay PA 6% tax on the buyback of the car as well as registration & title fees. Joy!

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BMV/BMV%20Forms/MV-426B.pdf

It looks to be about $250 in fees, about $200 for the enhanced inspection, and I'm guessing $200 or less for the 4-wheel alignment. 

Still need to:
 - Paint the fender (and maybe the nose)
 - Wetsand & clearcoat the headlights to bring them back to new
 - Reinstall the nose (currently held in place with 2 bolts), fender liners, and (eventually, after painting the fender) the side skirt. 

...tomorrow I get to reach back out to my insurance agent and the enhanced inspection station. Yay...

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/5/20 9:09 p.m.

Wow PA really likes their money.  I think the 350z rebuilt title inspection cost $90.  Let me know how hard they inspect it.  Down here it isn't very hard.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/6/20 4:07 p.m.

Inspection place does R title inspections on Tuesdays & Thursdays. 

So we shall see on Tuesday.

I plan to drop the car off with documentation overnight. Might even be able to stop by and "pre-do" paperwork so I can leave a check with them since I'm working out of state Tuesday. 

It looks like I pretty much have all my ducks in a row, just need to button things up over the weekend (and maybe polish / recoat the headlights, weather permitting)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/6/20 6:12 p.m.
Stampie said:

Wow PA really likes their money.  I think the 350z rebuilt title inspection cost $90.  Let me know how hard they inspect it.  Down here it isn't very hard.

Ohio just went up $1.50 to $55 for rebuilt title inspection.  The most difficult part in Ohio is the appointments are about 2 weeks out and with just a few locations in the state, it is a min of an hour drive for me to get to a location.  As a testament as to how hard they are, the appointment intervals are 15 minutes.  If you are 8 minutes late you have to reschedule.  

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/9/20 6:37 p.m.

Stopped by the title and inspection place today and arranged my appointment for tomorrow. I got all the documentation in their hands and now we shall see how it goes...

And as of this evening, the car has also been dropped off in their lot :)

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
3/10/20 11:17 a.m.

Hope all goes well, keep us updated.

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
3/10/20 2:43 p.m.
Greg Smith said:

Stopped by the title and inspection place today and arranged my appointment for tomorrow. I got all the documentation in their hands and now we shall see how it goes...

And as of this evening, the car has also been dropped off in their lot :)

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/10/20 3:10 p.m.

We are LEGAL!

$198 for the enhanced inspection ($130) & 4-wheel alignment ($68)

$404.50 for the Commonwealth of PA and "messenger service"
 - tax (6% of 2175... $130.50)
 - title, registration & tags ($93)
 - and $181 in "service" fees ($35 messenger processing, $18 electronic processing, $5 notary, $3 copy/fac, $120 admin/clerical)

Painful, but these guys just get the job done.

So it's worth it... argh.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/10/20 3:45 p.m.

Congrats!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/10/20 3:46 p.m.

Also, I have a replacement grille ordered due here Monday (the old one has a number of zip-ties closing off a hole I could jam my arm into to smaller ones that a tennis ball (or bird) shouldn't fit through.

The nose will come off once more for headlight coating, fender painting, and possibly painting the nose.

In "potentially less good" news, when I reached out to my insurance company, they indicated that the vehicle will have to go through underwriting before they even consider covering the vehicle at all. I reinstalled the side skirt and have sent them the required photos from all 4 sides.

:yikes:

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
3/10/20 3:52 p.m.

Photos as sent:

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QjBGrHdMazsFNF4znKlmOI3Hg7Bph2QfYIWzBKZMRT8jmj4Uwzk7nGqBW3W5VUfg