1 2 3
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/9/20 12:12 p.m.

So I bought another MR2 yesterday.  

Well to clarify I sent a deposit and my buddy who lives near the seller is picking it up Monday for me.

Car looks to be well sorted, and current owner has owned it for 3 years.  Had a nice talk with him yesterday and he seems like a good dude.

Its a 2001 with a 2zz swap and a 6-Speed.  It has a new top, new A/C compressor, K-Sport coilovers and a set of 15x8 kosei wheels.

I am excited.  I plan to replace the nitto neogen tires with a new set of 200TW 225 45r15 tires, and install a hard dog roll bar.  I am going to use it for autocross and track days.

This will be the 3rd MR2 Spyder I have owned over the years.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/9/20 12:25 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

I like that front air dam.  I assume that's not stock?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/9/20 12:36 p.m.

Apparently it is a TRD front lip.  I will possibly take it off because I foresee it scraping on stuff.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
10/9/20 12:49 p.m.

That's gotta be super fun with the 2ZZ

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/9/20 1:55 p.m.

certainly looks clean.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/9/20 2:14 p.m.

That looks great! May I inquire after the price you paid? I have no idea what the current market is for these.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/9/20 2:22 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I paid $8,500.00.  Seller was asking $9,000.00 on the spyderchat forum.

I figured I could not replicate the car for that price, even starting with a blown up one.   

This one is sorted and ready to go.  At 2100 lbs with 180 horse power and an 8300 RPM redline it should be pretty epic especially at this price point.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/9/20 6:12 p.m.

Nice score and agree you probably could not duplicate it for the price. 

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/9/20 8:20 p.m.

Was there ever an overseas version that came with the 2ZZ from the factory?  Its seems like the car should have have the option for the good engine all along and it was canceled before hitting the showrooms.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/9/20 8:26 p.m.

Looks great!  I'm curious to hear your impressions with the new power plant vs the 1zz. I've been casually hunting for a crashed celica gts to swap my spyder. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
10/10/20 10:54 a.m.

What's a 2ZZ motor for us that don't speak Toyota?  If you're using this for track and auto-x what are you going to use the M coupe for?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/10/20 11:36 a.m.
docwyte said:

What's a 2ZZ motor for us that don't speak Toyota?  If you're using this for track and auto-x what are you going to use the M coupe for?

It's the engine from the Celica GTS which is mated to a 6speed manual. Same engine and transmission combo as the Lotus Elise with a few minor differences iirc.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/10/20 12:50 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Correct, this will be kind of like a poor man's elise.  It only weighs 100lbs more than an elise with the same engine and transmission.

This particular car even has a lotus engine cover!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/10/20 12:52 p.m.
docwyte said:

The M coupe's fate is still undetermined.  It has been giving me a few minor issues and I have not figured out what to do with it yet.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
10/10/20 4:49 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

I know what to do with it, lol! 

That seems like the perfect motor for the MR2, something Toyota should've put in it from the get go

LoneWolf
LoneWolf New Reader
10/10/20 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) :

Nope, only the 1ZZ-FE was ever fitted from factory.
I agree the 2ZZ-GE should have been fitted to some version, even a final end-of-run version.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
10/10/20 7:49 p.m.

Very good looking car, with the front lip, rear wing and the K-1's it just looks right.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/10/20 7:52 p.m.

Just talked to my buddy in Raleigh.  He is picking it up for me tomorrow!

untchabl
untchabl Reader
10/10/20 8:05 p.m.

Raleigh? That's only an hour away from me. You doing a fly and drive to get it home? Or having it shipped?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/10/20 8:21 p.m.

My neighbor put a deposit on a 1964 chevelle in Winston-Salem last week.  We may do a one way rental there and then convoy home.

Or I may ship it?  Have to see what he decides to do and how this month looks work wise.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/10/20 8:55 p.m.

I want one of these so bad, but never have found a great deal. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/29/20 2:54 p.m.

So i decided to have the car shipped.  Coordinating a trip to North Carolina proved to be difficult, between work and home life.

Car arrived yesterday evening.  I unfortunately did not snap any pictures but I can happily say this is the engine that they should have offered this car with from the get go.  It pulls strong on the big cam and it sounds angry.

It truly is like a little go cart with the coilovers.  Very little body roll and it turns in like a beast.

I can't wait to autocross it!  I have a few things to do to get it ready but overall I am very happy with it.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/29/20 3:01 p.m.

Sweet!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/29/20 3:45 p.m.

I am happy for you and also reeeeaaallly jealous. 

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/30/20 8:47 a.m.

I had one of these and did the 2zz swap.  Never really did it for me.  The cockpit was a little too tight in the legroom department.  Really felt like you had to wind the engine out to feel anything and that just doesn't suit my around town style.  Maybe 40 years ago it would have.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j2SyAMih0ucEiPMooQ5ejLUCTFZYK6rLrzVzwoyjY626I86Sk9drxUR1ZaSLSvrJ