1 2 3
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/30/20 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I would definitely have signed up for the autocross Sunday but I will be in Savannah at Roebling Road for a PCA track day.

BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter)
BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter) New Reader
11/30/20 12:01 p.m.

If you were going in a different direction entirely: https://frankensteinmotorworks.squarespace.com/

Toyota V6 swaps into the second generation SW20 MR2 and he's working on widowmaker, a 3rd gen with a 2gr-FE V6 swap. 

He also does swap parts and tune map for sub 5 second 0-60 stroked, tuned ,4 bangers in  2AR-FE (2.5 liter) and 1AR-FE (2.7 liter) forms.   and he figures a wee bit more with his cam swap.  Here is the swap series:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V0UZhHDc1k&list=PLS6_hJDjAAGYB434Y9xbc9EFnb14DHqja

Sub 5 second 0-60:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kJUl8_a4a0 

He's a mensch.

** EDIT I missed that yours is already 2ZZ swapped.  That looks like the perfect compromise, and you stole it for that price. Cheers. **

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
11/30/20 1:56 p.m.

I'll just leave this here...

STI swapped MR2...

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
12/2/20 12:01 p.m.

New tires. 225/45r15

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
12/5/20 5:34 a.m.

Got the new tires mounted and installed some vinyl numbers my wife made me.

Met my buddy at the gas station before we left jacksonville for the track.

Made it to Roebling Road in time to get checked in without issue.

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
12/5/20 6:40 a.m.

Yes!!   Love the number. Both the number and the font!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
12/5/20 8:15 a.m.

Nice I always run 67 but it was already taken this weekend.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
12/8/20 6:58 p.m.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
12/8/20 8:16 p.m.

Nice!  Roebling is a cool track!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
2/9/21 8:50 p.m.

Did an autocross this past weekend.  Car did well, it is really fast but I need to get used to it.

I spun on two runs and hit a cone on th other three.  I dialed it back on my sixth and final run and ended up clean but about a half second off my earlier times.

Still ended up 16th out of 78 cars.  The car has a ton of potential once I get it sorted.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
4/11/21 8:58 p.m.

I realized I ran the car in the incorrect class at the last autocross.  It really belongs in XSB.

This past weekend the buccaneer region SCCA held its autocross at the FIRM.

I loaded the car onto my new to me trailer on Friday in preparation.

Got to the track and met up with Tucker ie; Dyintorace.  He picked up some wheels for his son's challenge car.  Super nice guy, it was nice to meet another GRM'ER in person.

I was pretty inconsistent with the car but managed to run a 62.8 on my last run, which was quick enough to win the class. 

Overall I am very happy with the car.  

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
4/12/21 7:15 p.m.

I loved this AW11 that was at the autocross, it was beautiful!

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
4/12/21 7:37 p.m.

It was great to meet you too. Thanks again for the wheels! 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/7/21 12:48 p.m.

Did an autocross in Daytona today.  Nice getting on track again.  Car did well, though I feel I left some time on the table.  Ended up 2nd in class out of 7.  Running again tomorrow so I get another chance at glory.. 

It was good getting to talk with David and JG for a bit.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/9/21 3:37 p.m.

Hey, I ran against that car this weekend.

And, yes, very good catching up. 

TheStick
TheStick
8/10/21 5:13 p.m.

I'm following this thread with interest as I have a very similar build, but without any additional rollover protection (for now).

Two questions:

1. It looks like your helmeted head is about even with the top of the rollbar. That may just be the angle of the photo, but have you had any issues with passing a broomstick test?
  2. Have you made any improvements to the oiling system, like a cooler or a baffled oil pan?

Thanks!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/10/21 6:45 p.m.
TheStick said:

I'm following this thread with interest as I have a very similar build, but without any additional rollover protection (for now).

Two questions:

1. It looks like your helmeted head is about even with the top of the rollbar. That may just be the angle of the photo, but have you had any issues with passing a broomstick test?
  2. Have you made any improvements to the oiling system, like a cooler or a baffled oil pan?

Thanks!

1.  My helmeted head does stick over the bar about an inch.  I am 6'4".  I just bought a FIA seat and a low mount bracket for the car.  I plan on mounting them in the near future.

2.  It has a small oil cooler mounted by the passenger vent opening.  I will be buying a morosso baffled pan before my next track day.  It was dropping pressure at Roebling Road in turn 8 once it got hot.  It currently has the 1zz pan which is allegedly better than the stock 2zz pan.

I plan on installing an oil temp and an oil pressure gauge when I install the new pan.

What setup are you running?

TheStick
TheStick New Reader
8/10/21 8:30 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks, this is helpful!

I've got a 2002 Spyder with about 200K miles on the chassis and (allegedly) about 40K miles on the 2ZZ. The motor has a MWR cold air intake and the full PPE exhaust (header, high flow cat, and muffler). We replaced the lift bolts and addressed many of the other maintenance items, but the oiling system is currently stock. The C60 transmission in mine is finicky and it is difficult to downshift into fourth without grinding. Addressing that will likely be a winter project.

Other than those changes and an upgraded radiator, the car is mostly stock. I replaced the stock struts/springs with BC Racing coil-overs and most of the bushings, the ball joints, and the tie rods were replaced as well. The brakes are essentially stock with new pads/rotors and rebuilt calipers. Other than a padded center armrest that I bought off a Spyderchat member, the interior is completely stock. The car rolls on a set of Enkei wheels with RE-71R tires and I run the stock wheels and a set of all seasons for late fall drives and winter hibernation.

I have a love/hate relationship with this car. When it's running right, it is an absolute joy and does not feel as numb as most modern cars. On the other hand, every week or two something breaks or it develops another annoying little issue. My goal in the next ~ 1 year is to run 4 - 6 beginner level HPDE events and a similar number of AutoX weekends. I am trying to learn from others and decide if I want to continue building this Spyder, buy a second MR2 that I am less emotionally attached to and modify it, or purchase something completely different.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/11/21 8:27 a.m.

That halo seat is going to suck to drive the car on city streets, it'll block a lot of your vision.  In a dual use car like this I would've not bought a halo seat...

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/11/21 9:28 a.m.

The race seat is not intended for the street or autocross.  I bought it to use for track days with a HANs device.  For those I trailer the car.

For autocross and street driving the factory seat is more than sufficient.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
APHXXzi4U9H58uWeZgXFiGwIF5U1meTTljfFQUN6dvJW7QXxPr1l2mYON0YcH7Kv