pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
9/20/19 7:52 a.m.

After being stored at a friend's cabin for many years and being the spare ATV for anyone who wanted one, my 1999 Polaris Scrambler 400 was looking a little worse for wear. Its an old 2-stroke, but it has never let me down or left me stranded and man it goes anywhere. So I decided it was time for a refresh so I could enjoy some fall riding. I didn't think to take a before photo of the mold-covered seat, but it cleaned up nicely.

Next on the docket is a tear-down, cleaning, clutch work, and general tuneup. And some new plastics because I found a good deal on a set, because this build has a low budget.

klipless
klipless Reader
9/20/19 8:03 a.m.

I approve of this project. We had a '94 Polaris Sportsman on our farm growing up, but I lusted after a Scrambler. Off to CL!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
9/20/19 1:50 p.m.

The tear down went well, but I got stuck on a split ring clip. I tried the harbor freight pliers, but there's so much slack they're essentially useless. They are going back. I picked up a Channel Lock set and am hoping for better results tonight.

The Scrambler is a great all-around quad because you can have tail out 2WD fun, or rock crawling 4WD drive fun. They are on CL for about $1k all the time, and rougher ones go for half that. The 500cc version is also out there for roughly the same $.  I like that they are Uber reliable and easy to work on.  I am hoping to take a Hatfield McCoy trail trip this fall.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
9/20/19 5:31 p.m.

Nice. Didn’t they make those forever? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WIHZG79pMaRn8hKYWIXdhYBaj0R8dFrhYDGIlbcqEzEeZKL5zBaNSL4IuNxllin8