4 5 6
RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
4/15/24 11:30 p.m.

So I berkeleyed up. I though I could sneak the timing cover on after the head was torqued down. The bottom layer of the MLS head gasket did not want to play nice and I accidentally turned it into an accordion.  I tried to pull it back out but I couldn't get it good enough to sleep at night even if the area that was messed up is just between the head and timing cover.

FCP Euro to the rescue. Their shipping estimates at checkout almost dissuaded me from ordering but I remembered that happened last time too and the wait really wasn't bad. But seriously the standard checkout 11:45pm CST on 4/12 said expected delivery by 4/22. In reality the parts shipped the next day from Atlanta and wound up in my driveway at 2:30pm today.

Cranked out the head pull, retiming and retorqued the head quick. Valve cover on and torqued. I am going to have to repaint this valve cover. It looks okay from a distance but I tried to rush the coats on this rustoleum metal cast paint last fall and it didn't cure properly. Too fast, too thick and too cold, oh well.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
4/26/24 9:48 a.m.

Houston we have lift off.  Always a great feeling when a motor comes off the engine stand.

I modified the M-Pact Cobalt SS clutch to fit the 8mm dowels on the Saab flywheel. I center drilled the 6mm dowel holes with a christmas tree bit in the drill press and then a 9/32" drill bit followed by a 5/16" to undershoot the 8mm dowel.  It came out a little under sized and was a perfect fit after I used an 8mm drill bit to ream the holes.  I still need to check pressure plate to throw out bearing clearance but it got too late last night for that.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
5/6/24 11:22 a.m.

I didn't have a socket big enough to drive the axle seals into the trans so I spent 5 minutes in solidworks and let the printer run over night. Worked like a charm, a couple smacks with the deadblow and nex axle seals are installed.

Saab in their infinite Swedish wisdom didn't use pilot bushings or bearings so the clutch tool kinda sits in a void in the crankshaft and I had to eyeball the clutch disc concentric to the flywheel.  My eyecrometer is pretty well calibrated but I struggled at first to get the trans on the engine.  I was about ready to get the caliper out and 3d print a pilot bushing for the alignment tool but then I thought about how much Gumby would make fun of me for solving everything with CAD and 3D printers so I just muscled the trans onto engine.  

Chinese exhaust manifold studs and walmart oil filter to top it off.  I need to fill the upper engine mount with construction adhesive because it's blown out and I'm not paying $140 for a "cheap" knockoff replacement.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/6/24 4:23 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Gumby will find another reason...

4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4opqOu2mwBoMvLLYFdhOJ5gNbZN8NpzUpc3679r9Moioq6BBGf5btA70tlQHx8Z3