9 10 11
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/29/24 6:31 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
rallyxPOS13 said:

if I've gotta go for the oversteer handle, 

The oversteer handle is below your right foot lol.. 

Oh, right, you guys with IRS can't put power down laugh

More seriously, though, I had a major Holy S--- Moment when I saw an S13 at a hardpack rallycross entering a corner.  He was in your standard four wheels sliding a little on corner entry, and he was able to brake and accelerate mid corner without the car's attitude changing.  It was mind boggling.  No wonder people love this chassis for drifting.

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 Reader
5/1/24 8:12 p.m.

To be fair, I've only resorted to the oversteer handle 3 times at at RallyCross.  RallyX Nats at Tulsa, where they put a pin cone as a turn in the middle of the first day's course.  I put one in a course when we had less than a dozen folks at an event in Kansas. Last was one where I was going off course early in my racing career, and tried it to correct my line.

Basically under braking on stupid corners.

I finally gave up on flushing coolant, 10 in and it still looks like the same murky rusty clay soaked nast.

Threw some coolant back in, and drove it to work today.

The gearing is hilarious, but I think I've got just enough 5th gear to get up to highway speed.  Between the better acceleration gearing, and maybe updated timing, the car seems 'faster'. I just need to bleed the brakes again, fit the skid plate back up and it's ready for this weekend's event.

Its looking like a mudfest with a reasonable chance of being canceled, so I didn't bother to rent a trailer this time.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/1/24 10:15 p.m.

Yeah, i'm betting on cancelled, which is annoying since it's too late to make any good alternate plans for me prbably and looked liek a great MR turnout :/

madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
5/19/24 3:33 p.m.

In reply to rallyxPOS13 :

Congratulations on the magazine photo. I ment to say something when I first saw it. We are in the midst of another house flip so I have been bordering on comatose in the evenings. Glad to see you are still having fun with your 240.

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 Reader
5/20/24 12:31 p.m.

In reply to madmrak351 :

Thanks! House renovations are some of my least favorite activities, but hopefully the flip nets some good car funds!

For those that aren't in the area, the persistent rain did lead to the last event being canceled.  Despite that, I've been putting the POS13 to work doing yard duty!

Turns out that 2.4L of uncatalyzed exhaust at idle will knock out some mole runs!

Other car based shenanigans, got my wheels and tires mounted to the daily:

And found this gem while at the mall last weekend!  I don't know BMWs well enough to know if it's an E28 or E21

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/20/24 2:09 p.m.

E21 with some artistic license.

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 Reader
6/18/24 8:01 p.m.

So in the 7ish weeks since the last RallyX was canceled, I've had plenty of time to catch up on all the projects for the POS13!

So I've stripped all the sound deadening, and fitted the aluminum seat, right?

Well... no.

Certainly I've made a better air box to keep dust out of the air filter, that's easy!

No.. not quite yet.

Well at the very least, I've pulled the rear suspension to figure out why it's binding

Nope.

So all the POS13 has done over the past month is sit under a Tulip Poplar and get covered in pollen, sap, and dirt.

So yeah, the weather was really nice in the past week, so I decided to drive it to work to remind me of all the things that are jacked up on it.

So yeah, after driving this for a week, I had one overwhelming thought in my head:

The next couple days, I get a shipping number to watch my parts make their way from the mountain passes above Suzuka Circuit in Japan over to my house.

laugh

madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
6/25/24 2:38 p.m.

In reply to rallyxPOS13 :

Ok, really wandering what is in the well traveled boxes! 

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 Reader
7/2/24 8:59 p.m.

Oh yeah, the boxes!

So when I bought my first S13, it was 2001, 'tuner' culture was raging.  Any Sport Compact Car, Super Street, GRM, etc. magazine was stuffed with any wheel you could imagine.   Unfortunately, they were all made for Civics, it didn't make sense in the US to have low offset 4 lug wheels, when all the Civics, Sentras, Mitsubishis, etc were all high offset.  As a result, most 240s at the time looked a bit goofy, with wheels that didn't fill out the wheel wells.

Slowly as drifting started coming to our shores, and the internet pirates started spreading Best Motoring, Video Option, and other Japanese DVDs, our eyes were opened to those greener pastures of what the aftermarket had over there.  For every Civic, there was a Silvia, for every Integra, there was an AE86, and the industry made parts to suit.  Those same US magazines that ran 4 page NOPI ads selling high offset wheels and clear brake lights, started sending reporters over to see Japan, write an article on Toyko Auto Salon.  While over there, the local guides showed the forbidden fruit of Super Autobacs, and Up Garage, where speed parts were all shared with gently used parts, and very cheap. 

After this awareness spread to the US, the engine importers would stuff the containers around all the half-cuts and body kits with random wheels from yahoo.jp and Up Garage.  In those early 2000's if you were friends with those importers, you got first dibs on the container, however for most mortals, the scraps were random mixed pairs of SSR meshes, Longchamps, etc.

At the time, I was a Serious Autocrosser (LOL) and didn't care about the frivolity, but on the forums at the time, I watched many cars get these wheels, and it must have affected my brain.  Now, I really like the looks of an S13 with some nice low offset 14" or 15" wheels. 

So timewarp out of the 00's, and now there's plenty of companies cashing in on the nostalgia.  Right in the middle is Up Garage themselves.  They sell access to their entire network of stores online at Croooober and this has been dangerous for me.  You can find any wheel you can imagine, second hand, for rather reasonable amounts of money.   Lately the value of the yen vs. the dollar has almost made the shipping worth it.

So I regularly visit that site, and keep an eye on low offset 4x114.3 wheels.  And recently I saw a set of rally wheels pop up.  Likely off an AE86:

Hmm, my brain thought:  15" rally tires are the most common, but it'd be nice to have some 14" wheels to be able to pounce on any sales that pop up on either 15 or 14 inch tires.  Even if that doesn't work out to lucrative rally tires, I could even get in on UTV or Kei Truck muddies for that size.  So this tab stayed on my phone forever, taunting me.  And the other night I decided a few hundred bucks (plus like double that in shipping) was worth it!

And as a bonus, they 'fit' pretty well:

Half the fun was watching them ship from the other side of the globe and making up stories about who had them prior.  They shipped from an Up Garage in the mountains above Suzuka Circuit, and I imagined them being used on an AE86 in gravel trails. 

Anyway, a really stupid amount of money on something I didn't need.  I guess Nostalgia's one helluva drug.

While I was in there, I also did the front brakes finally.   The RF brake was completely seized on the slider, the seal had failed, and it was full of dirt and rust.  This explains the poor and inconsistent braking performance.  So I did those too:

It was hard to find good quality rotors, so Wavespec seemed like a good choice, they are in 'merica and sponsor Rally and RallyCross.  However they threw me off... every other braking product is typically done per axle... this was per rotor... so I installed the RF rotor and moved on with my life.

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 Reader
7/2/24 9:20 p.m.

So with this parade of poor choices... I decided it was finally time to buy a trailer.  This would enable me to tow outside my AAA radius, and get to PA, WV, and NC events to get more seat time.

I had been passively looking for a good, used aluminum trailer, because the 4runner only has a 5,000lb rating, and the car's around 2500.  with the U-Haul trailer, I could certainly feel that I was up against that limit.  So I was looking for something more in the 1500lb range.   I looked and looked, but everything seemed either inappropriately sized at 22' long, or way too expensive.

I ended up just ordering a new trailer from EconoTrailer I could get a new trailer for less than the price of a used one, and they had a posted weight for a lightweight open trailer.  It's steel, so it's easier to modify and weld on accessories than an aluminum one.

I called them up and ordered it, the 3-4 week lead time started stretching out to a 6 week delay.  But last week, I drove up to Pennsylvania and picked up my new trailer! 

The trailer looked great, and I'd never seen a new trailer before.  But there was one hiccup:  The TuRDPro has the trailer connector tucked up so it doesn't get caught on rocks, and this was apparently about 6" further away than a standard truck... the wires wouldn't stretch.   The owner and I sat there for a while pushing slack around, moving the bundle a bit closer and closer, but when it finally got close enough to plug in, there was no way I was making a right turn.

I was really impressed with the guy, he stopped everything, and made me a quick jumper harness for free to make sure I could make it home!  

Things are coming together for the two day even in a couple weeks, and I'll hopefully be able to focus on remembering how to drive!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
7/3/24 7:50 a.m.

new wheels and new trailer are kick ass!

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/4/24 3:01 p.m.
rallyxPOS13 saidto find good quality rotors, so Wavespec seemed like a good choice, they are in 'merica and sponsor Rally and RallyCross.  However they threw me off... every other braking product is typically done per axle... this was per rotor... so I installed the RF rotor and moved on with my life.

you fancy. my rally car just uses the cheapest Centrics I can get on RockAuto lol....

congrats on the trailer. makes life a lot easier for sure ;)

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 Reader
7/13/24 12:27 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Well, when my dumbass thought the price for one was a pair, it seemed like a deal! smiley

Also, Rock Auto's on my E36 M3list lately, when I got the RH rotor swapped and started bleeding the system, the brake cylinder started leaking, Rock Auto to the rescue with the wrong sized brake piston:

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 Reader
7/13/24 12:58 p.m.

So a few things to wrap up on the POS13 for this weekend's double header rallycross weekend at Panthera.  When swapping wheels, I noticed the new welded diff was eating the centers out of the

front(?!) tires.   So out of curiosity, I checked the alignment, and it had a tad over 1" toe in!!!

So yeah, had to dial that out back out to zero!

While I was under there, I threw a new trans output seal in.   The new welded diff was the original S13 manual trans style, and didn't have a speed sensor in the nose, making it an inch or two shorter.  This sticks the splined section of the driveshaft out a tad when used with an auto driveshaft that I assume this car has.  This gets more dirt in this section, and wears out the seal, and mine was leaking quite a bit when parked with the nose high.

With that the car prep was done for the weekend.

For my new trailer, I still hadn't towed a car with it yet, and as I mentioned in a recent thread, my driveway's an adventure for things with low overhangs, and bringing it home involved some scraping.   So I loaded up the POS13 and did some test departure and arrivals to try to dial in the angles and lines... it still scrapes.  I have a couple schemes in mind to alleviate this with some trailer modifications, but not before the event.

I also added the most appropriate 4Runner towing sticker I could find:

So speaking of the event...   as I type this, I'm supposed to be wrapping up my morning runs at the course not on my couch at home.   This event was in my mind not a test of the car, but of myself, and to see if I would be adding something to my own personal Murtaugh List.  (From Lethal Weapon via HIMYM where Danny Glover's Character was "Getting Too Old for this E36 M3").  I was planning on camping out over night at the track in a tent.

So I took Friday off work, and started packing tents, EZ Ups, coolers, etc to prepare for a camping event that I hadn't done in at least 5 years.  In addition all the bits of car support and trailer stuff.  Rewinding to the beginning of the week, I had a rough start, when I  was trying to evict a yellow jacket nest, I won the war, but they took at least one battle, and my ankle had swollen up to 4x it's size for most of the week.  Midway through the week, I began battling a head cold.  Then, late Friday while packing up the car, I decided to replace a worn tie down strap with a new spare, and when cutting the packing material off, I sliced right through my thumb with a razor blade!

While waiting for it to stop bleeding to see if I needed to go get stiches... I decided the universe was trying to tell me that I shouldn't camp in a humid mid-90's day and try to die out in a field.  I threw in the towel on the doubler header, got a good nights rest, and decided to just head out for only Sunday's race.

I AM apparently getting too old for this E36 M3.

9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AsORxeIqfkW5qgSR6BbUTy9f9Q34OobfpW6ZS5zZ4XTcBGdC4GSMIIRnlMasOajo