3 4 5 6
Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/10/14 11:20 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: Yup, mine had a broken wire in the door harness. I've not seen anyone else complain about that though.

You had the same symptoms? Huh. I'll have to investigate further when I get back from France.

Electricity is the bane of my existence.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/21/14 3:49 p.m.

Three things -

One. I received some GT3 brake ducts

Two. I ordered a set of these wheels

Three. I still haven't figured out the door window electrical problem. I seriously don't understand how electricity works...

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
6/21/14 3:57 p.m.

Solid choice on the wheels. How big?

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/21/14 6:18 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Solid choice on the wheels. How big?

18X8.5 front, 18X10 rear. It's the biggest wheel package you can fit on a 986 without flaring fenders.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
6/21/14 6:43 p.m.

Dang, that's a pretty big wheel. You can get all kinds of rubber on that.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/22/14 12:54 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Dang, that's a pretty big wheel. You can get all kinds of rubber on that.

That's the idea. Currently looking to get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. I'm Trying to figure out when/if Michelin will release a set of the updated Pilot Sport Cup II compound in 18" sizes.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/30/14 10:48 a.m.

Wheels have arrived!

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
6/30/14 11:29 a.m.

Nice!

slow
slow Reader
6/30/14 11:34 a.m.

Nice wheels. Do you need the window when your roof can open?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
6/30/14 11:44 a.m.

Waiting for photos on the car...

Did the brake ducts come too?

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/30/14 12:22 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Waiting for photos on the car... Did the brake ducts come too?

Photos of the wheels on the car will probably have to wait a while. The tires I'm getting won't be available in this size until February...

I ordered the wheels now, because they were on super sale, and I wanted to save a couple hundred dollars...

The brake ducts arrived a few weeks back. Photo of them in my living room up there ^^^

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/30/14 12:23 p.m.
slow wrote: Nice wheels. Do you need the window when your roof can open?

Well, the short answer is no. For the time being, I've removed the driver's side window motor, and I'm just moving the window up and down manually...

It'd be nice to eventually get it to work properly, though.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
6/30/14 1:26 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Waiting for photos on the car... Did the brake ducts come too?
Photos of the wheels on the car will probably have to wait a while. The tires I'm getting won't be available in this size until February... I ordered the wheels now, because they were on super sale, and I wanted to save a couple hundred dollars... The brake ducts arrived a few weeks back. Photo of them in my living room up there ^^^

Oh that's rough. Long time until February.

Photos of the ducts installed? I can't really visualize how/where they fit.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/30/14 5:03 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote:
Maroon92 wrote:
Photos of the wheels on the car will probably have to wait a while. The tires I'm getting won't be available in this size until February... I ordered the wheels now, because they were on super sale, and I wanted to save a couple hundred dollars... The brake ducts arrived a few weeks back. Photo of them in my living room up there ^^^
Oh that's rough. Long time until February. Photos of the ducts installed? I can't really visualize how/where they fit.

I'll snap some photos this weekend. They wrap around the lower control arms on either side, and divert air toward the front rotors. They stick down into the air stream below the car.

Like this (photo hotlinked from elsewhere...) -

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
6/30/14 5:07 p.m.

Oh ok, that's awesome! I thought they were supposed to fit in the bumper somewhere, oops

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
7/17/14 10:53 a.m.

It's been a while since I've had an update. Time to fix that.

Thing #1, I bought a random orbital to attack that terribly faded paint.

In the process, I debadged the rear decklid, because #1 I hate the boxster emlem, and #2 I'm going to add my own "clubsport" emblems.

Step 1. Removal by dental floss.

Step 2. Shudder at the terrible paint condition.

Step 3. Spend several hours wet sanding, cutting compound, Polish, and wax.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
7/17/14 10:57 a.m.

Thing #2 - Removing the terribly gaudy carbon fiber sill covers.

Step 1 - Carefully remove. I used one of those plastic woven straps that is wrapped around really heavy boxes as a flexible saw blade to cut the adhesive holding the sill covers on.

Step 2 - Spend several hours with a plastic scraper and some goo-gone trying to remove the petrified double-sided sticky tape that held these covers on.

Step 3 - Admire your work.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
7/17/14 11:05 a.m.

Thing #3 - I'm driving 4+ hours on the highway this evening, and I'd really like to enjoy it with the top down. The problem is that the car was optioned with the wind deflector between the two rollover hoops. Unfortunately, it was lost somewhere along the way.

Problem - New wind deflectors sell for $299 or more online.

Solution - Build your own for $13

Step 1 - A piece of .220 inch steel rod for $3 fits PERFECTLY in the snap in retainers on either rollover hoop.

Step 2 - Measure twice, cut once.

Step 3 - Velcro strap it in, enjoy the spoils of your labor.

It isn't perfect, but it works great for thirteen bucks. With the windows up and the wind deflector in place, it is noticeably quieter and calmer in the cabin. I think I might actually be able to hold conversations around 80 MPH.

ppdd
ppdd HalfDork
7/17/14 11:15 a.m.

For future reference, an eraser wheel is a fast way to remove double sided tape and anything adhesive-y. Very satisfying, too.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
7/17/14 11:43 a.m.
ppdd wrote: For future reference, an eraser wheel is a fast way to remove double sided tape and anything adhesive-y. Very satisfying, too.

ooooohHHH. That looks like fun.

I always need more tools!

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
7/17/14 5:19 p.m.

This thread is seriously bad for my wallet.

At the very least, it's told me that I should hold out for a 98 and not just take any of the many cheapo 97s floating about.

That wind deflector is well done.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
7/18/14 10:52 a.m.

Nice wheels. Did you buy them new?

On Ebay we found a good deal on two pairs of used 18x11 twists for my Dad's 928 track car. Much rubber, very stick, wow!

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
7/18/14 12:47 p.m.

This thread has taken from "No way I'd ever buy one of these" to "Hmmm, maybe I want one of these. Maybe."

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
7/18/14 2:56 p.m.

In reply to ssswitch:

97s aren't any more cheaply made than 98s. Mine is a 97, and it was well cared for. Year doesn't matter, just get one.

97 might require some extra bracing if you go to a really sticky wide tire like I am.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
7/18/14 2:58 p.m.

In reply to 2002maniac:

Brand new knockoffs. They're the Euromeister China-made pieces from Automotion. I got mine during a 20% off sale for under 800 delivered.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
enMrX2guttbaUG7iFYc0cCezruxL3Ytx1MWbwxF15UNapUVw3WdHaXc9VD1ocLkM