1 2 3 4 5
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/29/18 11:06 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

By "comfortable" I mean that I am not letting one of the Petes gut the car to the tin and install 4 kirkey racing seats "cause race car"

Hear you on the tie wrap fan mount. That is why the Molvo wont roll that way. However, with limited time and budget, I might hope for the 2200 miles required to get to FL and back before she blows. Reality is that if we do this right the rear end is going to be the most fragical bit. 

There is a deadline to get this out of my shop by the 10th or 11th of Dec cause I want to get going on the Molvo. So either it drives out under it's own power with insurance and plates, or it gets towed and goes into storage at RePetes until the snow melts. Going to be close.

Pete

petey
petey New Reader
11/30/18 8:56 p.m.

no way would i gut that thing.the interior is too nice,and even though the drivers seat is all sorts of cattywampuss its still comfy.as to the fan mounts ive never had an issue with them on maaaany mustangs,so had no hesitation in using them

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/3/18 3:09 p.m.

Roof panel repainted with implement paint. Added some catalyst left over from the Molvo work and it seems to have worked. Almost wish I had done a lot more prep work, ( its a ten footer)  but the mission statement was to get rid of the rust and make it weatherproof; I was nowhere near ready to re-live the bondo dust drifts as we had from the Molvo. Mission accomplished.

I think I wil get the window trim back on and tow it out to the farm to while-away the winter while I go back to the Molvo. The plan was to have it registered by now, but that did not happen and I don't see it happening soon, so off to the farm it goes!

Pete

Medchin
Medchin New Reader
12/6/18 8:59 p.m.

Volvo with a Ford Engine? Right up my alley.

I'm loving all the Volvo content lately here! Really motivating me to maybe actually work on my Volvo... but alas the SAAB must come first. Oh Swedish problems.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/7/18 8:32 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Need to sort ouy why the wipers wont turn off, 

I have no knowledge of Volvo wiper motors, only of how they work in old American iron, but one possibility is inside the wiper motor itself.  Typically there's a mechanism with a switch contact inside that puts the wipers back in the park position when you turn off the switch on the dash, and if that comes apart or otherwise fails the wipers won't stop running.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/7/18 8:47 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

The problem has been ( sorta) fixed by removing the relay responsible for the intermittent wiper function. I suspect you are on the right path. But since challenge car, I think I can live without the intermittent.

If anyone reading along has a spare cowl cover for a 1989 760 ( big plastic thing that goes in front of the windshield and covers the wiper mechanism) I need one. Plastic on this car is like glass and all broke up. Also need  hood hinges. How they berkeleyed up hood hinges I do not know, but they is messed up. This thing has not needed much money to put right, but the amount of money it would have cost to pay someone to sort it would be significant.

Pete

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/7/18 8:36 p.m.

The S-Car-Go has left the shop under it's own power. All the way to the tow truck that will haul it off to RePete's place where it will sleep away the winter. The hope was that it would be on the road by now, but no time for a safety and plating, so off it went on the hook. 

The Molvo will be moving into it's warm spot in the shop.

Kinda hurt backing up to the tow truck because (other than plates and insurance) there is no real reason that the car could not have made the 15 mile drive. 

Now back to the Molvo.

petey
petey New Reader
12/7/18 9:06 p.m.

you must be an old school volvo fan.kudos for keepin em alive and choochin

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/9/19 3:15 p.m.

Hurry up and finish the Molvo.  We need an update on this.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/9/19 4:03 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Its kinda funny...saw this thread and forgot that I started it for the Volvo. As a matter of fact, I also tend to forget that I own a Volvo 760.

Cast of characters...

Pete...Me

Pete..."RePete" cause one week younger than me.

Pete..."Mustang" cause he is kinda into Mustangs in a big way.

Well, I can tell you anecdotally  that the 760 started right up after a winter slumber and Repeat was driving it around his farm lane.  I think Repeat's son must have been driving it also cause he showed up and asked if I would sell it to him. Mustang Pete said "over his dead body" and I was not clear if he meant his body or RePete's son's body. So I guess not for sale. Still planing on driving to the challenge.

The one thing that kept us from driving the 760 last year was the taillights. Could not find any cheap ones to replace the clapped out crumbling plastic factory pieces. I had to get the 760 out of the shop cause the P1800 was coming back from paint so we towed the 760 to RePete's farm and parked it for the winter. 

So we just recently holed sawed a 4" hole right through the crusty old taillights m and stuck in some cheap-ass but blingy trailer lights! Kinda ghetto GTR taillights.

Pete

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/18/19 10:23 p.m.

Pulled the S-Car-Go out of hibernation tonight. It was meant to be on the road about two months ago, but Molvo E36 M3 happened.

Volvo has the E36 M3tiest plastic on earth and the taillights being made of plastic, pretty much went to the afterlife. Seriously, if the rest of the planet made plastic this E36 M3ty, there would be no massive island of plastic in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. We fixed that.

For a car that has not driven a mile in the last four years, it came home without a glitch. No gauges and the interior is in total disarray, but good-lord does this thing ever hum down the road with grace and pace. The 302 swap makes this a fun car.

So the clock is ticking. Need to clean up the rough edges enough to convince three otherwise sane men that this thing will go all the way to FL, take a beating, and drive home. 

Pete

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/18/19 10:57 p.m.

I want to see this Volvo drag race the Molvo. laugh

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/19/19 5:05 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

No contest. The Molvo is 1000 lbs less weight and maybe 100 more hp at the wheels.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/19/19 6:45 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Pulled the S-Car-Go out of hibernation tonight. It was meant to be on the road about two months ago, but Molvo E36 M3 happened.

Volvo has the E36 M3tiest plastic on earth and the taillights being made of plastic, pretty much went to the afterlife. Seriously, if the rest of the planet made plastic this E36 M3ty, there would be no massive island of plastic in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. We fixed that.

For a car that has not driven a mile in the last four years, it came home without a glitch. No gauges and the interior is in total disarray, but good-lord does this thing ever hum down the road with grace and pace. The 302 swap makes this a fun car.

So the clock is ticking. Need to clean up the rough edges enough to convince three otherwise sane men that this thing will go all the way to FL, take a beating, and drive home. 

Pete

I don't hate the taillight conversion. It looks pretty good in pics.  If you want to swing through Indianapolis on the way down, let me know.  I can offer a floor to crash on and a few cold ones.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/19/19 7:54 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Thanks! That reminds me that this is getting real and actual travel plans need to be made.

Myself, I am booking two full weeks off work around the challenge to make this happen, Not sure what the other two Petes are scheduled for.

Pete

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/4/19 3:57 p.m.

More AOD madness today.  The thing was not shifting quite right requiring that you lift before it would shift. took the valve body out and found a sticking valve that controlled the output from the TV cable. That seems to have made a world of difference. Also fount out that someone has been here before and put a shift-kit in the thing. Good or bad remains to be seem. Is AOD fluid part of the budget?

Pete

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
8/4/19 4:47 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

ATF fluid is budget exempt.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/6/19 9:44 a.m.

With the valve re-seated the thing drives like a new car. Had to get out of the hood to test the AOD, but it is right where it is supposed to be.

Plan as of today is to get it on the drag-strip this Friday for some baseline testing.

Pete

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/15/19 3:19 p.m.

E36 M3 just got real, slapped two rooms at the host hotel on the CC, so pretty much going to be there one way or the other with something or other!

Pete

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/15/19 3:29 p.m.

Can you get close ups pf the taillights? Im thinking about something similar for the miata. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/15/19 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Will try and do that tonight.

These are just trailer lights. The Original Volvo lights were so Ozone brittle that they crumbles when we tried to polish them. So some glue, a plastic sheet from a  florescent fixture cover and a hole saw got this done. They are spectacular if you hit the 4 ways!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/9/19 7:28 a.m.

Been driving the car as a DD to make sure it is up to a long road trip and so far so good.

On Friday we went to the dragstrip to see what it could do. Nor a good pic but proof that we were there. The car is the definistin of a bracket racer. Consistent as can be at 15.1 91 mph.  Did 4 runs and caled it mission accomplished. MIGHT try some timing and new plugs and see if we can go back for a 14 just cause I want it to be a 14 sec car. 

Interestingly enough, even though I have been to the track over 100 times as crew, this was my first trip down the 1/4 mile.

I do not delude myself, it is going to be interesting getting this muppet to go around cones.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/16/19 2:55 p.m.

Well...we was shamed into it. The original goal was to make this the easiest challenge build ever by just driving what I bought. Getting there was the goal.

But after the track outing and seeing the alpha builds that are being featured on this board, the least we could do was invest in a couple of cans of spray-paint and clean up the underhood....after all, I hear rumor of a car show at the challenge. So out came this item of undescribable beauty

Fuel line cross-over was a mess; must have been 5 splices from one side of the car to the other and the rubber hose was questionable, so bent up some new tubes to run along the cross member

The engine was just plain rust colored ugly.  Wire wheels and beer and a can of official go-faster Ford blue. This HAS to be good enough to get us from 15.1 down to 14s! Having access to a GOOD sandblaster made cleaning the valve covers a piece of cake.

Pete

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
9/16/19 3:09 p.m.

What are you.....Cousin Eddy o'danorth?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/16/19 3:15 p.m.

Hopefully I'm not one of the guys that shame you into it. I am however one of the guys looking forward to meeting you at the challenge

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cJ3DWJVNOCU5lXUBDc7gQxA6XFg36hVHfIMyKL48VU7K3uYB91l10W93S9pAqjc2