spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/25/19 8:50 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

So humidity and the moisture here in TX is a real issue. I'm after the super high wet boiling point. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/25/19 4:44 p.m.

Went to fire the car up last night and turns out I borked an ABS sensor.

Called down to oreilly's and they had both sides of the front ones at the hub, on the shelf. So ran down there today and picked them up for $50 and they're the intermotor brand.. And were cheaper than the autozone ones. Score! 

Popped them in and boom the light is gone and I'm back in business. 

For those who don't know. An 8th gen without the ABS/VSA module operating correctly is a oversteering deathtrap at speed based on everything I hear from the STL racers. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/25/19 4:46 p.m.

Hazmat picked up a mascot today. 

Hopper from Stranger Things in the biohazard suit. 

My buddy isn't into Stranger Things, but saw this and picked it up for me. 

Hopper just happens to be one of my favorite characters too(i imagine thats the case for many people). 

So he's going to get hard mounted somewhere in the car. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/25/19 7:59 p.m.
docwyte said:

I'd be surprised if a car that light could torch Ate Typ200 enough to need more than annual flushes.  Generally I use SRF for cars I take to the track alot, that are very powerful and fairly heavy. 

Also to this effect. These cars are super hard on brakes. Seth has talked about it on his one lap threads in the blue Si sedan. 

If i flushed it often i could use cheaper fluids. But the air is super humid and I live and drive in suuuuper hot places. So better to be safe 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 HalfDork
8/26/19 9:23 a.m.

Fluid is such an easy way to buy yourself some extra brake insurance that I'm often shocked more track folks don't use quality stuff. 

I use the redline RL-600 fluid in my car because it matches the motul rbf600 specs but I know plenty of folks who use SRF and swear by it. I think you done good.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/26/19 10:03 a.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

There are folks i know who use the Prestone DOT4 and flush it ahead of every weekend since it's cheap. 

but I am subscribing to just spending a bit more and having the extra wet boiling point so i don't have to mess with it as much. 

I didn't post pictures but when i took the brakes apart i got showered with paint flakes that i burned off the pad backing plates. I put a LOT of heat into them at Mineral Wells. which is part of why i took the time to pull the backing plates. 

shagles
shagles New Reader
8/26/19 10:21 a.m.

Little off topic, but I've tried and failed to find one of those coffee/wrench decals. Where can I get one?

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/26/19 10:37 a.m.

In reply to shagles :

Those are custom made by Mazdeuce. 

Totally cool interjection though. They're neat stickers. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/26/19 11:11 a.m.

In reply to shagles :

You contact me at ttwo.elm at gmail dot com and I'll throw a couple in an envelope for you. Just a heads they go the other way. laugh

If you want to know the absurd full history of them, then you'll have to suffer through the R63 thread. You probably don't want to do that. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/26/19 12:45 p.m.

I saw Hazmat's dad when i was out at lunch today. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/26/19 1:22 p.m.

20 years of the southern sun has done quite a number on that Si. I'm glad there are no interior pics of that car. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/26/19 1:27 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

It didn't look bad in my quick look as i passed by. 

mazdeuce - Seth
8/26/19 1:40 p.m.

I bet the tops of the rear seats are purple. I'm convinced that all Hondas have purple interiors that are overdyed black. They fade back to purple. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/26/19 3:15 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

LoL, most likely a factor of what part of the UV spectrum is able to pass through the glass. 

Modern windows have a UV coating that doesn't allow my transition eyeglasses to Work. I bet this is why the black turns to purple. 

shagles
shagles New Reader
8/26/19 3:51 p.m.

Email sent. I've actually read through the R63 thread, just been a while so i didn't remember where i'd seen those.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/28/19 3:16 p.m.

I officially gave up on the radio yesterday. Hazmat Superleggera begins tomorrow when my toys from amazon arrive. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/28/19 9:22 p.m.

There's some Civic part outs near me if you want to try a used OEM radio.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/29/19 1:02 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Appreciate the offer. 

Local yards have them here too.. But we'll see how the new setup works before we go down that road. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/29/19 1:04 p.m.

Toys arrived today at lunch 

Props to scoche for putting wire color instructions on the package.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/29/19 8:50 p.m.

Managed to blow 2 fuses and the stock radio completely fell apart. 

And the new amp still isn't working

Tonight has not gone well. 

My goal for sunday is to find a cruise control switch first, then worry about a radio. I can drive to lincoln without a radio. I'll go mad without cruise control. 

mazdeuce - Seth
8/29/19 9:10 p.m.

Now is a good time to have a voltmeter and a test speaker. Does the Honda speaker wiring.have a ground in the bundle or does the radio get it's own ground/grounded through the chassis?

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/29/19 9:10 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I'm the exact opposite if I'm honest. I drive 90 miles a day with no cruise control.

mazdeuce - Seth
8/29/19 9:23 p.m.

I zoomed in on your package (heh, that's funny) and it looks like you should go red to the + terminal on the amp and black to the -. Confirm that when you turn the ignition on you get a light on the amp. Then drivers door speaker is white and white/black and passenger door is grey and grey/black. If the amp makes a big pop noise and smells like smoke, you killed it, ask me how I know. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/29/19 10:18 p.m.

I wired it that way and got jack squat... which is when i started trying to add in the ground for the amp and then the constant power is when i blew fuses. 

I have no idea WTF is going on.. But the little amp has power cause I'm getting the LED. But i have nothing else at the moment. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/30/19 11:50 a.m.
spacecadet said:

Went to fire the car up last night and turns out I borked an ABS sensor.

Called down to oreilly's and they had both sides of the front ones at the hub, on the shelf. So ran down there today and picked them up for $50 and they're the intermotor brand.. And were cheaper than the autozone ones. Score! 

Popped them in and boom the light is gone and I'm back in business. 

For those who don't know. An 8th gen without the ABS/VSA module operating correctly is a oversteering deathtrap at speed based on everything I hear from the STL racers. 

Really?? So... I shouldn't put a bigger rear sway on it then?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
58o2Nv73EKgFiA2ftaWJZZO8Djy9iDOtfqoQBXJiv0o1TB738m2Iht0MeKVbMLNR