spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/30/19 1:12 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I guess I wasn't clear. IF the ABS module isn't operating properly the rotation and braking becomes a problem. 

Otherwise go for it. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/31/19 3:57 p.m.

Good news bad news..

Got a cruise control and audio switch module out of a civic hybrid sedan.

Had to move the electronics of that switch unit into the old switch housings because they had different mountings. Worked successfully and I did confirm that the click clack switching mechanism is indeed inside the switch mounted on the PC board inside the unit and thats what failed on my car. 

But now I've got functional cruise control.

Also got a radio from that car... unfortunately.. Power from it isn't going downstream... so i have no working radio right now. So i must have fried something else downstream... crap.. 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/31/19 8:45 p.m.

Duct tape a boombox to the driver's seat. devil

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
8/31/19 11:37 p.m.
slowbird said:

I am to that point. I'm shopping USB powered speakers that run off an aux cord that i can plug into the google hub dongle i have. 

On the upside.. I realized tonight that ALL of the lights inside the old radio were burned out.. Cause everything lights up on this one. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
9/1/19 12:10 a.m.
slowbird said:

Annnnnnnd ordered... 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
9/1/19 1:11 a.m.

Also, this was at the junkyard today

Which thats neat

Then i looked inside

The shifter sticking up through the floor made me stop and take a picture... 

So many more questions than i originally anticipated..

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/1/19 1:45 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Ok a stick C-body is definitely interesting to me.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
9/2/19 4:40 p.m.

Spent today dicking around taking the dash apart. 

One thing i noticed is that it's always been hard to see the spedometer... 

WTF??

Why would you tint a piece of plastic that you need to see through and is in shade? 

Then i thought about it more... 

I am wondering if this is a result of the vaping???? But the tach plastic is perfectly clear....

Either way I'm pulling this thing off for a few days to see if there's any improvement. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
9/2/19 6:33 p.m.

$17.50 later and I have speakers. 

They're not ideal. But they're louder than the Traccord speakers... I think.. 

They even have blue underglow... BITCHIN

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/2/19 6:41 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

The Plymouth looks like a true "no options" car. Likely a Slant 6 w/ 3 speed manual. Gutless hauling around that large body! 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/2/19 7:11 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

You want to be classy or you want to listen to music? Because you can't have both. Apparently. laugh

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/2/19 7:22 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I mean we are playing with Hondas here...

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
9/2/19 7:37 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to spacecadet :

You want to be classy or you want to listen to music? Because you can't have both. Apparently. laugh

This is true.. I found a car with an amp today at the junkyard and I finagled the amp for $15 instead of the going rate of $30. Annnnnd it did nothing. So now I'm keeping my eyes open for a car with a not broken premium audio radio so i can try that. 

I pulled the head unit out that i got on saturday and its Completely different inside than mine. It looked different from the backside. But taking everything apart confirmed it... 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/2/19 8:26 p.m.

Blue glow is the new hotness. Everyone's doing it.

I have a blue-glow-in-the-dark shift knob for the Probe. Unfortunately it doesn't photograph well.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
9/3/19 1:25 p.m.

Speakers are loud enough to listen to Slip Angle and NPR podcasts. 

need to find a better location for them if they stay long term. but the immediate payoff of my $16 investment has been nice. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/3/19 3:12 p.m.
Daylan C said:

I mean we are playing with Hondas here...

You stole my line!

mazdeuce - Seth
9/5/19 6:48 a.m.

Those speakers work out for the long drive? 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
9/5/19 6:17 p.m.

No. At 80 they're just not loud enough. I need to get something with more boom. 

But headphones worked great and I listened to the Beyond the Grid podcast episodes with Gordan Murray and Ross Brawn. 

Cruised in comfort with the cruise control on to keep me out of trouble. 

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
9/6/19 9:29 a.m.

I feel your pain on speaker woes. When I got my zx2 it had nice 20 year old pioneer deck. But there’s no aux, bluetooth and only one speaker works. I just said berk it and use my  Bluetooth headset instead of tackling new head unit, and chasing wires.

Have you had issues with Slip angle podcast audio? Eveytime I try to listen the guys seem like they’re speaking 30 feet from microphone. I’ve been hooked on Joe Rogans here lately though

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/6/19 2:20 p.m.
spacecadet said:

No. At 80 they're just not loud enough. I need to get something with more boom. 

But headphones worked great and I listened to the Beyond the Grid podcast episodes with Gordan Murray and Ross Brawn. 

Cruised in comfort with the cruise control on to keep me out of trouble. 

Headphones are also my solution when I drive my beater Mercedes. I can still hear sirens and horns etc.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/6/19 2:44 p.m.

I probably need to start my own build thread, but that's a thread for another time. That being said, what's the word on good suspension setups? I bought my car with tokico blues and... some sort of lowering spring. They're okay-ish. Certainly better than my EK that I bought with skunk2 suspension parts.

Most cost-effective is koni yellows + X = good ride quality and cornering. I've been plotting to do koni yellow into stock strut inserts along with Swift spec R springs, but there's a problem with the Swift springs that's been discovered and no one really knows when it will be fixed.

Which leaves me with the other popular option I see used a lot which is koni yellows and Ground control springs with threaded sleeves. I understand that the threaded sleeves allow you to corner weight the car which I would get done because it seems silly to have the ability to do that and not. I'm not looking to slam my car. I like suspension travel.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
9/7/19 9:06 a.m.

Headed south from Nebraska

mazdeuce - Seth
9/7/19 10:11 a.m.

Go Hazmat! Do the car things that you do so well!

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
9/7/19 5:46 p.m.

Home!

8.5 hours of drive time today. 

1308 miles from when i filled up Tue night back to the same station today. 

28.8 mpg across the 3 days

Average speed of at least 75 mph today and wed night. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/11/19 1:24 a.m.

Since you dropped a meme in my thread, I figured I'd return the favor when I found this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zPwnNAM6SZY4uT12ZboGS8eM5OxsN76fRgJOxPk6uLIOc3NRD651AUH9OGn0hNZs