mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
12/9/19 11:24 a.m.

Mr. Cadet

I am taking my GSR to the auto-x in 2 weeks. In your expertise, do I need to upgrade the brakes/brake cooling on this platform? Thank you for the help.

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
12/9/19 11:40 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Other than having good fluid in it, And good stock type brake pads, I don't see any issue with running the car as is.

Your local walmart will stock the prestone DOT4 on the shelf and it's cheap and more than up to the task. I'd grab a few bottles of that and get a friend or family member to help you bleed your brakes if you've not already done so.

Caveat to that advice is if you know it has a better fluid in it skip the flush.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
12/9/19 12:15 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Thank you. It has dealer installed pads, rotors, fluid 8 months ago. So all oem/dealer last 18 yaers of its life. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
12/9/19 3:17 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:
ScottyB said:

hey man, just a head's up - saw this on the Facespace page.  Autozone has been selling new-old-stock SPC forged aluminum adjustable rear upper control arms under the Duralast name, they even still have the "SPC" stamping on them, at least as of earlier this year.  $45/per, free shipping, and with the TRAVELSAFE promo giving 20% off until Dec 9, you're getting 2 of these under $100 with tax.  MSRP is $240 ea!  

Thanks for the protip! I got a pair shipped to me for $85! It did require a bit of random out of state zip code entering to find a store with them in stock, but I got em! My filler item to reach the $100 requirement was a roll of tape.

nice!  i ordered a set as well and i'm really surprised at how robust they are, its a genuinely well made product judging by the looks.  i'm anxious to get the rear of the car dialed in a bit better.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
12/9/19 3:26 p.m.
spacecadet said:

On the topic of brake cooling. 

I anticipated that this weekend would destroy my brakes. 

Last weekend at MW the brakes are getting unhappy. 

One of the guys in the 8th/9th gen Civic RR and autox group on book of faces put together a cheap brake cooling setup. 

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-porsche-parts/gt3-front-brake-duct-upgrade-kit/99734148392kt/

I ordered the air deflectors he used last week. I've got 2 sets coming because they're so cheap. 

mine have been on and remained very solid now for the last 4 months i believe.  you'll want to ditch the backing plates behind the rotors so the air can actually reach them.  i've had no issues with clearance on my mildly lowered FA5, only once did i scoop up a handful of stones trying to traverse a very rutted driveway up to a cabin.  its not comparable to a track obviously, but i spent a full day thrashing the car up in some of the highest elevations in the moutains of western NC in August and never ran into a hint of fade with Stoptech Sports...and that was with 3/4 of the backing plate still on (i only had time to zip a little pie-cut out of it with a dremel before i set off the next day).

here's a shot of how i had to trim mine.  you'll need to hog out the middle section to fit the thickness of our control arms and cut some length off of the outer end to clear the arm shape at the area near the balljoint.  finally, run some gorilla/duct/HVAC tape over the center gap to keep air from spilling through the center of the scoop.

is it perfect?  not at all.  for $15 is it worth it?  hell yeah it is.

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
12/9/19 3:26 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

I did the same. added a new drain funnel to bring my total to $100.67 to take advantage of the 20% off home delivery option. $87 with texas sales tax. Not bad.

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
12/9/19 3:28 p.m.
ScottyB said:
spacecadet said:

On the topic of brake cooling. 

I anticipated that this weekend would destroy my brakes. 

Last weekend at MW the brakes are getting unhappy. 

One of the guys in the 8th/9th gen Civic RR and autox group on book of faces put together a cheap brake cooling setup. 

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-porsche-parts/gt3-front-brake-duct-upgrade-kit/99734148392kt/

I ordered the air deflectors he used last week. I've got 2 sets coming because they're so cheap. 

mine have been on and remained very solid now for the last 4 months i believe.  you'll want to ditch the backing plates behind the rotors so the air can actually reach them.  i've had no issues with clearance on my mildly lowered FA5, only once did i scoop up a handful of stones trying to traverse a very rutted driveway up to a cabin.  its not comparable to a track obviously, but i spent a full day thrashing the car up in some of the highest elevations in the moutains of western NC in August and never ran into a hint of fade with Stoptech Sports...and that was with 3/4 of the backing plate still on (i only had time to zip a little pie-cut out of it with a dremel before i set off the next day).

here's a shot of how i had to trim mine.  you'll need to hog out the middle section to fit the thickness of our control arms and cut some length off of the outer end to clear the arm shape at the area near the balljoint.  finally, run some gorilla/duct/HVAC tape over the center gap to keep air from spilling through the center of the scoop.

is it perfect?  not at all.  for $15 is it worth it?  hell yeah it is.

I actually cut my backing plates all the way off back in august. So I'm a step ahead of you then! LoL I'm pretty sure your use case was plenty of abuse on the brakes.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
12/9/19 3:40 p.m.
spacecadet said:

I actually cut my backing plates all the way off back in august. So I'm a step ahead of you then! LoL I'm pretty sure your use case was plenty of abuse on the brakes.

good man.  mine will come off in spring after i (hopefully) add the RSX spherical bearings to the front arms.

good pads have helped a lot after one bad fade incident but i really think these do add a little more headroom.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/9/19 3:47 p.m.

Mine (backing plates) rusted off on one side and I didn't bother to put the other side back on. 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
12/10/19 7:08 p.m.

2 SPC camber arms and a wide mouth Funnel

$87 shipped to my door..

I almost feel bad....almost

Also, hadn't really gotten the size into my head, my EG had adjustable upper links.. But they were tiny compared to this! This is a friggin solid chunk of aluminum!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/11/19 2:00 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Those look familiar. Mine showed up today. Your filler item was smarter than mine! I did have a slight nagging feeling like I got away with something. It should pass once I get them installed.

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
12/11/19 8:58 p.m.

Today maks 10k miles on hazmat in my ownership.

Taking a trip  for the day down to houston.

Bringing down a jericho trans for my buddy Richard to install in the Apexocet as well as some pickle beer from martin brewing co for my buddy Ken.

I made a comment to seth  that there was a joke here

seth replied: what's in the trunk is worth more than the car?

*mic drop*

berkeleying savage seth    savage

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
12/12/19 9:41 a.m.

That camber arm looks killer.  Lots of engineering done there.  Good find!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/12/19 9:47 a.m.

I was actually suggesting that each item was worth more than the car. 

Transmission? Definitely.  

Beer? Probably. 

Luggage? Could be. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/12/19 1:55 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I was actually suggesting that each item was worth more than the car. 

Transmission? Definitely.  

Beer? Probably. 

Luggage? Could be. 

Not an uncommon occurrence around here...

i sent you a PM...

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
12/12/19 2:17 p.m.

Hazmat getting a Brake UPGRADE!

Acura TL-S Brembos. Buddy and I struck a deal for $180 for the pair.

HOLY E36 M3 are these things MASSIVE!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/12/19 6:49 p.m.

Whoa. I might (read probably) do that upgrade in the future! I sorta prepared for that eventuality with my newly acquired winter wheels for $150. 

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza New Reader
12/13/19 6:43 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Ooh those are nice.  How are those going to fit on your stock hubs?  I can't imagine the brackets bolt up...

mazdeuce - Seth
12/13/19 7:00 a.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Those wheels actually look great on that car. I'm impressed. 

mazdeuce - Seth
12/13/19 7:03 a.m.

In reply to Number1Gaza :

This goes over it well. Just need to open up the holes in the knuckles and it's bolt on with the right parts. Non-reversable of course since you've mucked with the knuckles. Changing out the master is probably harder than all of the knuckle side stuff. 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
12/13/19 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Number1Gaza :

Yeah Seth pulled the most common referenced webpage for the caliper swap.
I'm planning to pull a set of junkyard knuckles myself to modify so I have the stock ones to come back to.

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza New Reader
12/13/19 12:17 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Ah, that makes sense.  Nice write up there.  I would agree that swapping the brake master cylinder would be the hardest part of the job.  

I would think the small spacer and longer wheel studs to run the TL-S rotors would be preferable to the S2000's, just because it would make use of the whole pad and get a hair more surface area of rotor. All that work, may as well get the full benefit

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
12/14/19 6:30 p.m.

My buddy called me the the King of Pick N Pull scores on book of faces today.

The amusing part was that I was returning from the junkyard today with a very solid score.

An Acura TL Type S automatic showed up at the local pick n pull last week but I didn't make anything of it till today.

I got a chance to go look at it today when I realized I should go try to snag the calipers and master cylinder.

Calipers had already be taken, but the master was there and the rotors were still there.

The Rotors were almost brand new! And they're coated ones, worth at least $80 for the pair.

I also found out today if you say you don't want warranty they'll knock the prices down! Normally the rotors are $10 plus core and the MC is $20 plus core.

MC run about $70-80 on rock auto. So a pretty fantastic haul today.

So a very productive week.

The Master cylinder is also used on some of the 05-07 accord and accord hybrids.

P/N 46100-SDB-A11

mazdeuce - Seth
12/15/19 7:54 a.m.

I am genuinely excited to try out these brakes. 

If it were me, I'd just go ahead and drill the factory knuckles with the idea that you can always get some JY ones if you want to go back. Otherwise you end up like me with 9,000lbs of stock parts and no desire to use them because all the good parts you put on are better anyway. 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
12/15/19 6:09 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I'm excited too. I am probably going to feasibly have to drill out the stock ones first. I need to prepare to pull the hubs and install ARP Studs too in order to run the TL rotors and in case I need a spacer to fit the brembo calipers under my wheels.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P5Qa0ARdTYtY3YegWHCBM2CyrMGKuFfhGF2kyfsP0mYPljghlpiA3VRl291HAiSE