Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/14/20 10:59 a.m.
ScottyB said:

In reply to spacecadet :

you happened upon a Rotrex kit and now we get to see a boosted pizza delivery vehicle beat up on more expensive track cars?  that's the answer isn't it.

This. I have a feeling it's not this. But it needs to be this.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/14/20 11:27 a.m.

I'm still confused, but as long as the end result makes glorious noises and goes fast, I'll be okay...

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/14/20 12:24 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

I'm still confused, but as long as the end result makes glorious noises and goes fast, I'll be okay...

This makes me laugh at the future. laugh

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/14/20 4:43 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Eh. Whatevs... 

I'm really just here for the shenanigans...

mazdeuce - Seth
1/14/20 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

All kinds of shenanigans. There is no way you'll be disappointed. laugh

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza New Reader
1/14/20 8:08 p.m.

Quit teasing me

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
1/14/20 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Number1Gaza :

The pieces are there if you can figure out what Patrick is referring to, his comment is a HUGE hint. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/14/20 8:11 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

All kinds of shenanigans. There is no way you'll be disappointed. laugh

I'm slightly disappointed 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
1/15/20 8:01 p.m.

Couple of hints..

I bought another car, and it's the same model as a current GRM project Car. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/15/20 8:08 p.m.

Na miata!!!

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/15/20 8:09 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

What color is your C5? Was it a pizza car too?

TVR Scott
TVR Scott Dork
1/15/20 8:33 p.m.

An Econoline van!

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
1/15/20 9:22 p.m.

wellll E36 M3.. maybe I shouldn't have given the GRM clue.. 

shagles
shagles Reader
1/20/20 4:47 p.m.

Well?? Are you going to keep us waiting forever? Lets see some pics!

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
1/20/20 7:55 p.m.

In reply to shagles :

I'm picking the car up this weekend. I officially added it to my insurance today. 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
1/20/20 9:26 p.m.

here's a terribly grainy photo clue.. 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/21/20 5:59 a.m.

Go left. Got it. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
1/21/20 12:34 p.m.

dust level: rallycross

shenanigan level: miata, NA 

you can send me my Jelly Of the Month Club membership in the mail, please and thank you

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
1/21/20 1:26 p.m.

In reply to ScottyB :

indeed. I'm bringing Ronald home this weekend. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
1/21/20 1:38 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

the miata or FT86 twins are my long term dream for RWD rallyx greatness.  should be a freakin blast.

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
1/23/20 11:03 p.m.

I don't know what lies ahead for Hazmat. but what I do know.. is that the last time I separated my cars I ended up with parts everywhere. I am not making that mistake again.

I loaded every single part I own into the trunk that would fit. the spare deck lid and  sunroof are at my new place. 

fun fact.. EVERY part I've removed.. is in that trunk. I've thrown NOTHING out, to the point that.. in theory.. Hazmat could become a challenge car again.. but I had mostly written the idea off.

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
2/10/20 1:32 p.m.

So hazmat is currently on vacation at mazdeuce place. 

He actually had a chance to drive it and was genuinely impressed with it he told me.

He did confirm my steering being funny. So I'll need to address that soon. We believe it is related to the alignment since i added the new inner tie rod. 

I'm happy with Ronald, but i am looking forward to having hazmat back. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
2/10/20 10:42 p.m.

whew....all this radio silence had me thinking Hazmat got punted off to craigslist for the next pizza delivery hopeful.

good luck with the steering issue, hopefully its just a matter of getting some alignment strings on it and turning some wrenches.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/11/20 12:08 a.m.
ScottyB said:

whew....all this radio silence had me thinking Hazmat got punted off to craigslist for the next pizza delivery hopeful.

Apparently you weren't the only one. When I mentioned Spacecadet and Mazdeuce being enablers in a post that implied I was buying another car , it took a matter of minutes for somebody to make a guess that the car I was buying was Hazmat. 

I do like Hazmat, probably not enough to buy it if that opportunity came up, but I do like the car. Either way I'm pretty sure that car is going to stay with it's current owner for quite a while.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/11/20 10:09 a.m.

Hazmat has been at my house where I've been ignoring it's presence hard. That car over there? I don't even see a car over there. Buuuuuuut, spacecadet asked me to drive it and see what I thought of a few things, so I did. Motor is great, trans is great, straight line is great, in a corner is great. The only thing that absolutely sucked was on center steering feel and initial turn in. I'll take that back, the rear of the car also felt like it was lagging the front something fierce, like there was no rear bar. 

My initial thought was alignment. I expected to throw it on the strings and see something terrible and obvious. Nope. It was so normal looking that I got out the levels and bungeed them to the wheels so I could use the tape measures. The car was absolutely perfectly zero toe to the best of my ability to measure. Maybe it hates zero toe? Changing toe is free, let's do that. 

I put half a turn into each side which gave 1/8 total toe out. Aggressive? Sure, but I subscribe to the "make the change big enough to feel" camp of alignment changes. I also wanted to give spacecadet an approximate amount of change for him doing his own alignments in the future. 1/2 turn of the tie rod will move things about 1/16 on that side. And I'm not sure if he tightened the drivers side lock nut, or if it was someone else, but snug is good enough, no reason for giant bear of a man tight. I am not a giant bear of a man. Was not fun. 

Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. 

Results? Fixed the car. Turn in is fantastic. Chassis is lively. Car doesn't seem to hunt at 60+ mph but spacecadet will be able to talk more about that after drivng to Dallas. Maybe might dial it back a notch depending on tire wear. The rear even feels better though I would put a larger rear bar on the car as a first change. In fact, I might put a larger rear bar on the car and leave it alone to be a fantastic street car. It's a good car. I like it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hn7wShMr92R5OsZsRMyDEFNbseF0fmjdbMNoKzfpBD9k7schsGsqTYFx18ifV1C9