spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/2/20 8:17 p.m.

Me as I'm standing over my computer earlier this week:

By the powers invested in me by Visa/MasterCard, I will finish this track safety prep project by the end of March!!

Me looking at my level of expenditures the past 7 days.... 

berkeley... 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/2/20 8:20 p.m.

Got these today from Summit 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/2/20 9:04 p.m.

Love watching this come together. Know very well the pain of One Lap prep in your first year. 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/2/20 10:15 p.m.

So Seth has tallied his stuff before... and I'm going to add mine up. 

Race Half cage with harness bar $825

2x NRG FRP-301 seats from Amazon prime $435

2x Racequip Harnesses from Summit Racing $325 

2x Buddy club seat rails including one at a steal of a price $280

First Track weekend registration $450 

I'm looking into seat back braces next.

I haven't bought brake pads yet because I was evaluating the upgrade of the front brakes... Which is going to force me onto new wheels so I'm debating on that at the moment.

Brake pads are gonna be like $350 for both axles 

Plus tires next month... 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/2/20 10:41 p.m.

And i found the weights info i needed online 

Curb weight is 2890

30lbs in the spare tire 

37lbs in the backseat

10lbs in the rear seat hardware i pulled 

50lbs weight saving in the front seats swapped. 

So we're at 2760lbs roughly.. with a full tank of fuel... So half tank of fuel puts the car at 2700lbs 

And I've saved no weight in wheels yet, and the sunroof is still intact.. which is ridiculously heavy... 

This car is getting light quickly.. and Ive added no power yet. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/3/20 6:23 a.m.
spacecadet said:

Brake pads are gonna be like $350 for both axles 

Plus tires next month... 

Just a data point on brakes and tires. We drove the Civic on stock brakes for two years. The first time we started on EBC something or anothers and they melted to goo. Then the backup EBC's melted to goo. We finished on Carbotech pads that they delivered to us at CMP half way through the event because they're awesome. Second year we stared on brand new Carbotech XP12's and those were bare steel backing plates on the last day. They should have been changed mid week or a little later. So to be safe you're probably looking at a set of pads for your track days/practice that should (hopefully) last well enough that you can keep them for backups and you start the event on a fresh set of fronts. Do yourself a favor and measure the material thickness with a caliper when you get them, and pull them to measure thickness after a weekend on track. Get an idea of real world wear rates. The general rule I've been taught is that at 1/2 to 1/3 of the origional pad thickness you start to transfer heat to the caliper much quicker becasue the pads themselves don't insulate as much. Not sure how true that is though. 

Same goes for tires. Depending on how your test weekends go, you will likely need a set of tires for testing/prep and a fresh set for the week. At least a fresh set of fronts, so 6-8 tires, but you'll have to see how that plays out. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
3/3/20 8:35 a.m.

You have a lightweight, low power car so my direct experience won't help too much (my cars are high power, fairly heavy) but I ran full on race pads when I did One Lap.

Pros: They easily lasted the entire event and worked great on the track

Cons: They completely annihilated the brake rotors and I had to replace them when I got back home.

They don't get up to temp on the transit stages and chew up the rotors.

However, I'd much rather not have a braking issue on track...

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/3/20 9:56 a.m.

I'm looking at Carbotec or G-Loc for pads. I'll be going for the good stuff. 

I still have a partial life set of DTC-60's from the early part of the fall that i ran on the Civic. 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/3/20 12:52 p.m.

New wheels ordered... 

TL caliper bolts ordered.. 

S2000 front rotors ordered to fit the brakes without spacers... 

Now to call tire rack and so i can mortgage my soul for a set of Michelins. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/3/20 12:56 p.m.
spacecadet said:

New wheels ordered... 

TL caliper bolts ordered.. 

S2000 front rotors ordered to fit the brakes without spacers... 

Now to call tire rack and so i can mortgage my soul for a set of Michelins. 

i'M going Falkens. I like them and they wear well. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/3/20 1:34 p.m.

What wheels did you go with? 

Are there new developments in the TL brake upgrade that I missed? Tap the brackets to accept the TL bolts and grab S2000 rotors then call it a day?

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/3/20 2:26 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I bought 4 TL wheels off amazon

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/3/20 3:09 p.m.

and yes, I"m moving forward with the TL calipers, but it's not tapping a bracket. it's drilling out the 12mm caliper bolt holes in the spindle to accept the larger 14mm bolt size the TL caliper requires off the shelf. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 HalfDork
3/4/20 6:56 a.m.
spacecadet said:

Me as I'm standing over my computer earlier this week:

By the powers invested in me by Visa/MasterCard, I will finish this track safety prep project by the end of March!!

Me looking at my level of expenditures the past 7 days.... 

berkeley... 

Literally. Every. Single. Spring. 

Can not wait to see how hazmat performs during OLOA!

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/4/20 8:18 p.m.

Got Hazmat inspected today and got the registration renewed. 

ready to roll for another year. 

Driver seat started creaking today. the temp dropped a bunch last night. so I assume stuff is a little looser than when I installed it over the weekend, so i'll tighten all the hardware back up again. 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/5/20 5:29 p.m.

I'm still at work. But my Roommate sent me this photo with the caption. 

"Your new rubber bushes of the Michelins variety are coming in nicely. Such great variety too!"

gumby
gumby HalfDork
3/5/20 5:32 p.m.

Nice shrubbery!

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/5/20 9:47 p.m.

Starting to feel that bit more real now... 

Aaaaaaaaand I pulled the seats out of the car cause I'm flying out of town for the weekend and it took me only 20 minutes. 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
3/6/20 9:32 a.m.

your UPS guy is a boss!  i wouldn't want Michelin's finest out in the open, but that is hilarious.

looking forward to hearing your feedback on the TL caliper setup.  one way or another i want to move ahead with a bigger front brake setup in the coming years but i'm still feeling out the options.

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/6/20 2:08 p.m.

I am super excited. G LOC Brakes are going to supporting this stupid effort. 

Spent some time with Danny from G Loc on the phone and they have R10 compound front pads and R8 compound rear pads coming. He believed the R8 square would have been a great fit for One Lap but i was asking about a front pad with more heat tolerance because of my desire to track the car for long sessions. 

All the really good brakes are expensive, but having someone take the time to talk with me is always something i appreciate. 

I'm excited to button this car up and get it on track. 

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
3/7/20 7:54 a.m.

are you doing brake ducts? 

we really like our g-loc pads, and will continue on using r8's on the street and r12/r10 on the track...

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/9/20 10:26 a.m.

In reply to apexanimal :

I am planning to add brake ducts. 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/9/20 10:28 a.m.

TL wheels have arrived. 

spacecadet
spacecadet SuperDork
3/9/20 8:22 p.m.

​​​​​​

Caliper Bolts arrived today while I was at work. I decided to confirm they are correct before drilling out these holes in the strut juuuuuust to be sure since these are aftermarket reman calipers. 

Parts are basically all here now. The S2000 rotors have arrived and all is ready to rock. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/9/20 8:59 p.m.

Moar brakes! Better than adequate braking makes me happy. You need to replace the master as well?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B7XdRUwUaXBOC5npIa4ndlVXDOI8tXq6qUui21P7NV30YxqRC8EouV0UpXBiHDG8