1 2
Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/15/18 8:34 p.m.

Disclaimer: I have never really worked on my own cars before, but want to learn how to. So I was missing my old jeep I had  in high school, my mind was made up I was getting another, and this time any work needs to be done by me. 

So here is my steep learning curve 1979 cj7. AMC 304. I am hoping just to document what I do to it, and get help with questions on maintance  with it here.

Poser shot. 

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/15/18 8:41 p.m.

So when I bought it P.O. said engine had been rebuilt, no leaks, no issues. (Not really the case now, but oh well)

so first I wanted to put three point seat belts front and rear. But as soon as i lifted up some of the carpet I found “rattle trap extreme” sound reading material. I decided to take this off to see what the floor looked like underneath. Tried a little bit of everything to get it off. Dry ice etc, ended up using a heat gun, mineral spirits and a lot of elbow grease. 

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/15/18 8:46 p.m.

So for my first question is at start up I get moisture coming out of my exhaust and then at idle I get thin white smoke. I guess I haven’t really noticed this on my more modern cars. Is it an issue?

https://youtu.be/Oy6w8-nf-3k

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
4/16/18 4:53 a.m.

Moisture may just be from the catalytic convertor doing its thing. For the thin white smoke, it's carburetted, and that could also be normal. Remove the oil fill cap on the valve cover and see if there's any grey goop stuck to it on the underside. It could be a sign of a head gasket starting to let go.

You would likely smell a sweetness in the exhaust if that's the case though.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/16/18 6:18 a.m.

Can you video and describe the smell of the exhaust smoke? Also, how does it run?

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/16/18 6:54 a.m.
akamcfly said:

Moisture may just be from the catalytic convertor doing its thing. For the thin white smoke, it's carburetted, and that could also be normal. Remove the oil fill cap on the valve cover and see if there's any grey goop stuck to it on the underside. It could be a sign of a head gasket starting to let go.

You would likely smell a sweetness in the exhaust if that's the case though.

Thanks. There are no cats.  Barley any mufflers. Looks like tiny little boxes on the exhaust Vs any muffler I have seen. 

Mans thanks I will check the oil cap. 

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/16/18 6:55 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Can you video and describe the smell of the exhaust smoke? Also, how does it run?

The you tube link is a video of exhaust. Not sure how to make it show up here. 

I didn't smell the exhaust. I will next time I fire it up. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/16/18 7:23 a.m.

You say it's not a build thread, but it's totally a project. I don't think an AMC era jeep can NOT be a project. Welcome to the madness. 

Color and tape stripe are perfect by the way. Super cool. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/16/18 7:47 a.m.

What was the temperature like when you took that video? Cars without a catalytic converter especially carbureted V8 in cold weather always have a little moisture from the exhaust

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/16/18 5:19 p.m.

Ok thanks temp was in the 40s. 

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/18/18 8:26 p.m.

Is this the said grey goop? Or just regular oil build up?

Also fired it up. Went up and down the street a few times. (Pretty cold with no top on) and pulled back in he building and no more white whispy smoke. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/18/18 8:28 p.m.

Normal for an amc

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/18/18 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Thanks. 

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/18/18 8:50 p.m.

The next task I am working on is putting a YJ “family style” roll bar in. 

I drive this to work when it is really nice out on the highway for about 8 miles.  So I would like more than just the lap belt. And sometime I will put in a back seat and will want 3 point belts back there as well. 

There is a before picture. 

I only had to drill a few holes and then I made some “backing plates” for the underside on the body to reinforce things.  So far I have the “back half” in and just bought a nutsurt tool to put the threaded rivers in the windshield. To finish it off   

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/20/18 5:44 p.m.

Jeep is pulling semi hard to the right on braking. I am thinking maybe a froze drivers caliper? Any way to test this? Can I just take the caliper off and press the brakes and see if it tries to “squeeze”.  Or will that force the piston out too far?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/20/18 5:49 p.m.

Brake hard, get out and feel how warm each brake is. A non-op caliper will be cool.

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
4/20/18 6:37 p.m.

I'm not so much a jeep guy, but I'm definitely a shop guy- sweet shop!

Good luck!

damen

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/20/18 8:33 p.m.

In reply to badwaytolive :

Thanks. Need to get it organized. 

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/20/18 8:37 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Brake hard, get out and feel how warm each brake is. A non-op caliper will be cool.

Thanks. I went out and drove it again tonight. It started pulling to the left and then darting really right when brakes applied.  So when I got back jacked it up and couldn’t budge the drivers side wheel. And the disc was super hot compared to the other side. So I am guessing better just replace the caliper. 

Any advice on this? Would you do both sides at once? Looks like they are priced pretty reasonably. 

Also any bleeding brakes for dummies videos out there that are really good?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/20/18 10:05 p.m.

Do hoses as well as the calipers. 

Not running is an inconvenience. Not stopping will kill you. 

Somebeach
Somebeach New Reader
4/21/18 7:14 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Good idea,  any opinions on stock rubber VS the stainless ? 

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
4/21/18 7:54 a.m.

i would say a stock style hose will be fine.  I would do both calipers if they are cheap.  I have found when one sticks the other doesn't take long to start after you replace it.  then you only need to bleed once.  to bleed the brakes have a partner press the pedal then open the bleed screw.  close bleed screw let off pedal.  repeat till the pedal is firm.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
4/21/18 8:00 a.m.

Yup. Eubber and both calipers if in the budget. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE New Reader
4/21/18 9:05 a.m.

Plus, unless you either get a great deal on stainless AND might need the extra stopping feel, it likely won't give you any advantage. 

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
4/21/18 1:20 p.m.

Nice jeep, I had a 78, 304, three speed, same color stripe with E36 M3 Brown metallic paint.  Loved that thing.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9tH7ZjDT1W7Vd5QvjuYF7n1ZiLKO4tjN3OJmgC8NsZRfefyq6ptsRJkyfKBWzZZ5