1 2 3
wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/9/15 8:44 p.m.

Craigslist has been very good for us. This 1974 Nova was $50. We are tentatively planning to build a quick Challenge car for $2016.

So what are your thoughts on a $50 LT1 with boost?

https://www.facebook.com/events/919847258049719/967843373250107/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/405041173005149/523832204459378/?comment_id=525757810933484&ref=notif&notif_t=group_comment_reply

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/9/15 8:48 p.m.

Quick as in "completes the 1/4 in very little time" or "build it quickly" and you really mean $2015? Either way-Yes!

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/9/15 8:51 p.m.

2 door Nova for $50 doesn't look like much.....but I like it.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
10/9/15 9:47 p.m.

looks straighter and cleaner then alot of the 1500 project nova's on craigslist. But i cant see the floors or trunk. Be interesting to see how the lt1 likes boost.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/9/15 10:02 p.m.

Amazing that anyone would sell a car for only $50 these days - the scrap value is a lot more than that.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/9/15 10:17 p.m.

AT the time of purchase the scrap value would have been $78-82. Minus fuel to haul and the 1.5-2 hours to deal with it, he had no interest and wanted it gone. Sean called me the morning the Craigslist ad was posted to let me know about the car. I called the guy and he did not let it go to the folks who called after me. He helped us load it and helped us with getting the title. I could not have imagined it going better and it was 5 miles from the house to boot.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
10/9/15 10:28 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Amazing that anyone would sell a car for only $50 these days - the scrap value is a lot more than that.

it's down. the best i could do last week was 4 cents a pound. say the no engine/trans/trim/bumpers nova is close to a ton, that's $80. chances are joe blow has to pay a tow truck at least $50 to take it in for them, and it makes taking $50 and having someone tow it away kinda attractive, if you are the kind of weirdo who would scrap a 2 door nova that looks decently buildable.

knowing what's come out of that workshop makes me excited thinking about what the nova will become. once mr nelson gets a hold of boost everyone better step their game up.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
10/9/15 10:28 p.m.
dropstep wrote: looks straighter and cleaner then alot of the 1500 project nova's on craigslist. But i cant see the floors or trunk. Be interesting to see how the lt1 likes boost.

Front left floor is junk, trunk is perfect...I actually drilled a hole in it because it was filling up with water. The front floor will be cut out and raised. We are anxious to run boost. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
10/9/15 10:34 p.m.
patgizz wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: Amazing that anyone would sell a car for only $50 these days - the scrap value is a lot more than that.
it's down. the best i could do last week was 4 cents a pound. say the no engine/trans/trim/bumpers nova is close to a ton, that's $80. chances are joe blow has to pay a tow truck at least $50 to take it in for them, and it makes taking $50 and having someone tow it away kinda attractive, if you are the kind of weirdo who would scrap a 2 door nova that looks decently buildable. knowing what's come out of that workshop makes me excited thinking about what the nova will become. once mr nelson gets a hold of boost everyone better step their game up.

Scrap got back over $6 at the yard down the street. It pretty much stayed around $5 most of the spring and early summer here....and we call for the best rates. Stuart, he advertised it....we have other witnesses.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/10/15 4:41 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Quick as in "completes the 1/4 in very little time" or "build it quickly" and you really mean $2015? Either way-Yes!

1/4. First thought is to build it cheap with the LT1 and see what it does....then....swap in another bullet with forged internals, double the boost and hold on....

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
10/10/15 8:54 a.m.

GMPP made(makes?) a carbed LT1 intake with distributor hole. keep an eye out for one of those at carlisle on someone's used intake table. easily spotted by the lack of water neck on the front, just has a big bowtie cast there instead.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
10/10/15 9:34 a.m.
wheels777 wrote:
dropstep wrote: looks straighter and cleaner then alot of the 1500 project nova's on craigslist. But i cant see the floors or trunk. Be interesting to see how the lt1 likes boost.
Front left floor is junk, trunk is perfect...I actually drilled a hole in it because it was filling up with water. Both the front floor and trunk will be cut out...the floor because of major mods...the trunk to allow for aluminum sheet to be dropped in. We are anxious to boost the LT1 also. We have more than one and that will allow us to lean on the first one. I am going to open up the bearing clearance and cut a keyway. We are planning to do a blow thru carb and make a conventional intake work on the LT1. We plan to add a distributor and pitch or modify the Optispark.

Ahh my boss is building his 74 with an lt1 this time around but looking at supercharging it and staying fuel injected. These motors got lost in the ls craze.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/10/15 9:45 a.m.
dropstep wrote:
wheels777 wrote:
Front left floor is junk, trunk is perfect...I actually drilled a hole in it because it was filling up with water. Both the front floor and trunk will be cut out...the floor because of major mods...the trunk to allow for aluminum sheet to be dropped in. We are anxious to boost the LT1 also. We have more than one and that will allow us to lean on the first one. I am going to open up the bearing clearance and cut a keyway. We are planning to do a blow thru carb and make a conventional intake work on the LT1. We plan to add a distributor and pitch or modify the Optispark.
Ahh my boss is building his 74 with an lt1 this time around but looking at supercharging it and staying fuel injected. These motors got lost in the ls craze.

Everything has been lost in the LS craze. Even BBC stuff is dropping.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/10/15 9:48 a.m.
patgizz wrote: GMPP made(makes?) a carbed LT1 intake with distributor hole. keep an eye out for one of those at carlisle on someone's used intake table. easily spotted by the lack of water neck on the front, just has a big bowtie cast there instead.

The LT1 carb intakes are showing up at the flea markets, but are bringing non-challenge friendly prices. I have a messed up conventional intake that was $10. I can mod it and mod the LT1 heads for a few hours of work. That's how Stan did it in his 240 Challenge car a few years ago.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/10/15 10:18 a.m.

Does this push the Corvair project off for another year?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/10/15 12:10 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
patgizz wrote:
it's down. the best i could do last week was 4 cents a pound. say the no engine/trans/trim/bumpers nova is close to a ton, that's $80. chances are joe blow has to pay a tow truck at least $50 to take it in for them, and it makes taking $50 and having someone tow it away kinda attractive, if you are the kind of weirdo who would scrap a 2 door nova that looks decently buildable. knowing what's come out of that workshop makes me excited thinking about what the nova will become. once mr nelson gets a hold of boost everyone better step their game up.
Scrap got back over $6 at the yard down the street. It pretty much stayed around $5 most of the spring and early summer here....and we call for the best rates. Stuart, he advertised it....we have over witnesses.

Oh, no - I'm not doubting the sale. I'm just amazed any car would be that cheap these days. Excellent buy.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/10/15 1:22 p.m.
Woody wrote: Does this push the Corvair project off for another year?

Yes...but coincidently we were under it early today measuring out the new rear.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
10/10/15 7:31 p.m.

When I get around to putting an engine in my Monte Carlo I need to go shopping with you.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
10/13/15 4:49 p.m.

This will give reason to the name. This is the current plan for the car, as far as the aesthetics are concerned.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
10/13/15 5:25 p.m.

I love the car. This should be fun.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
10/13/15 5:29 p.m.

The f bomb looks great in that motiff.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/13/15 9:00 p.m.

How can you keep up with all your projects?

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/13/15 9:12 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: How can you keep up with all your projects?

Cubic sweat.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
10/14/15 7:00 a.m.

I whole heatedly Approve of this build. I was floored when I saw the car advertised on Craigslist. if I didn't have two project cars and a one car garage, it would have followed me home.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/1/17 9:18 p.m.

No, but I'm pretty sure you had another nova was way earlier in challenge history, and I'm pretty sure it was that nova that made me read grm. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZVUVYhbYlgZxtUHFG7FUlcAVsvqfwTighJykDzJIcjXjiw6mmcJjmBBmUYOHMWNT