wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/2/18 9:37 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

a turbo might be cheaper in the long run from a "whole budget" perspective... especially considering how much testing they do

True. And then add the thirst to try new things and you can see the motivating factor

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/2/18 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

From watching other people, the evidence would suggest that a stock LS with a big shot of nitrous will blow up at a lower horsepower level than a stock LS that has been turbocharged. 

Once you can control the boost, turbos are not so scary. With the Datsun, we had little to no control. We learned a lot from that car. Also, the Sunbird was a huge stepping stone to where we are now.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
2/2/18 10:20 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

So eventually we’ll see the move to the newer LT1. Are there any plans to try a non Chevy powered car? 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/2/18 11:18 a.m.
wheels777 said:
sleepyhead said:

a turbo might be cheaper in the long run from a "whole budget" perspective... especially considering how much testing they do

True. And then add the thirst to try new things and you can see the motivating factor

It is also a surprisingly difficult thirst to quench!  GLWT?  wink

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/2/18 12:43 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

In reply to wheels777 :

So eventually we’ll see the move to the newer LT1. Are there any plans to try a non Chevy powered car? 

Yes. As soon as something better comes along.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/2/18 12:43 p.m.
sleepyhead said:
wheels777 said:
sleepyhead said:

It is also a surprisingly difficult thirst to quench!  GLWT?  wink

GTWL????

bluej
bluej UltraDork
2/2/18 12:53 p.m.

Good luck with turbos?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/2/18 1:02 p.m.

Good Luck With Thirst.. although i dig bluej's definition too

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/2/18 1:35 p.m.
bluej said:

Good luck with turbos?

I have confidence in Einstein..I mean Fuzzy. Seriously though. We learned a ton. We will find more limits.  But we will also continue to find the limits of $2018 dollars. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/2/18 1:38 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

Good Luck With Thirst.. although i dig bluej's definition too

That thirst is more power and higher speeds. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/2/18 1:44 p.m.

Talking to Calvin about the Sunbird it's pretty obvious he's convinced about the motor. I think they're right on the cusp of making a significant HP leap. It also looked like Ed had a good solid handle on his motor at the challenge and I can't believe that info wasn't flowing. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/3/18 6:33 a.m.

Day 105 - December 31, 2017

Began making turbo inlet pipe. Removed original seat belt anchors. 1 pound 11.6 oz (0.31 HP)

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/3/18 6:36 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Talking to Calvin about the Sunbird it's pretty obvious he's convinced about the motor. I think they're right on the cusp of making a significant HP leap. It also looked like Ed had a good solid handle on his motor at the challenge and I can't believe that info wasn't flowing. 

They're great motors. There are a lot of other great motors out there that I would love to try. It's just hard to justify the price of much else. I agree with the second statement

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/3/18 9:10 a.m.

This is both entertaining and educational. I love seeing fab work that I can only dream of right now, and learning about the hp to weight has me wanting to revisit a few things on my own car.

Thank you guys!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/3/18 11:48 a.m.
DjGreggieP said:

This is both entertaining and educational. I love seeing fab work that I can only dream of right now, and learning about the hp to weight has me wanting to revisit a few things on my own car.

Thank you guys!

You're very welcome. Glad you are enjoying it!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/4/18 6:15 a.m.

Day 106 - January 1, 2018

We were not coming up with anything cheap for the upper 4 link bars, so we started making covers. Finished welding crossover tube.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/5/18 5:06 a.m.

Day 107 - January 5, 2018

Made other 4 link cover.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/6/18 5:32 a.m.

Day 108 - January 7, 2018

Continued working on 4 link covers. Started scraped undercoating off bottom of the car. Smoothed welds from new for panels.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/6/18 9:16 a.m.

I just realized the last several pages have been of work done since you first  started updating.

How finished do you expect to have this one within budget? 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/6/18 9:33 a.m.
Crackers said:

I just realized the last several pages have been of work done since you first  started updating.

I am hoping it will be all one color. Whether we paint the body red to match the front end, or paint the whole thing army green is still up for debate. The inside will be gray like the frame and fire wall. I really want to do this before the windows go back in budget friendly or not.

Right now, it looks like there will be enough room. I would really like to do it myself. I don't really care if it is show quality. It's a race car.

Edit: I guess I'm leaning towards paint it red at the moment because of Mr. Wallens' recent post about cover cars.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/7/18 5:14 a.m.

Day 109 - January 8, 2018

Made aprons for 4 link covers. Removed 1 pound 10.2 oz (0.295 HP) from the bottom of the car.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/7/18 9:05 a.m.
TheV8Kid said:
Crackers said:

I am hoping it will be all one color. Whether we paint the body red to match the front end, or paint the whole thing army green is still up for debate. The inside will be gray like the frame and fire wall. I really want to do this before the windows go back in budget friendly or not.

Right now, it looks like there will be enough room. I would really like to do it myself. I don't really care if it is show quality. It's a race car.

Edit: I guess I'm leaning towards paint it red at the moment because of Mr. Wallens' recent post about cover cars.

what about army green with red racing stripes?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/7/18 9:38 a.m.
sleepyhead said:
TheV8Kid said:
Crackers said:

what about army green with red racing stripes?

I don't know. I keep going back and forth. I think it is going to be one or the other, not both. The budget will be the deciding factor..

Wally
Wally MegaDork
2/7/18 3:13 p.m.

Check for mistakes at paint suppliers. One year we had a beautiful metallic blue for our modified that was too iridescent to match whatever it was going on but looked good on a race car. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/8/18 5:54 a.m.

Day 110 - January 23, 2018

Removed 10 oz piece from the bottom of the car (0.111HP). Tacked in lower 4 link mount locating pieces.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TfF5IHjwJ0OhQM0ArQ7jUjVhEfF3D9I9wQ7bSb6Fp4jh5o5aVdZ1Un42FW2hCir1