Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
2/8/18 7:33 a.m.

Love the build and you guys taking the time to explain things. It is cool to see how removing weight in many different places really adds up in the end.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/8/18 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps :

16 oz make a pound. Glad you're enjoying it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/8/18 9:55 a.m.

I might start de-tabbing the frame and drilling hole in brackets on the Honda Murdercycle. Every bit will help. This thread is full of inspiration.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/8/18 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Ounces are a much larger percentage of the total weight on a bike than on a car. Removing little things could have a huge impact on that.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/9/18 5:24 a.m.

Day 111 - February 2, 2018

Began assembling Speeduino ECU.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/9/18 7:14 a.m.

Speeduino: why this vs the much more developed megasquirt?

I've never heard of speeduino until today. 

Stampie
Stampie UltraDork
2/9/18 7:48 a.m.

Looks like an assembled version is only $160. That's even cheap for me. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/9/18 8:03 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

And if you piece it together like I have, it is even cheaper. <$100

And it has more features than microsquirt, which is what most other guys go with.

Edit: Honestly I am surprised we have not seen it at the challenge yet. It has tons of features, and is way cheaper that the equivalent Megasquirt product.

Stampie
Stampie UltraDork
2/9/18 8:07 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Yeah but you have the young eyes needed to solder all that. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/9/18 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It's all through hole components. It's not too hard. The later versions have surface mount. I chose to go with an earlier version.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/9/18 8:16 a.m.

We'll see if it works. It could crash and burn, and then I'll throw a stock computer at it. I don't know if I don't try.

gabecar3
gabecar3 None
2/9/18 11:43 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I may be wrong but didn't the miata "pick-up truck" have a speeduino this past year?

I really enjoy seeing the progress on the X-Bomb.

Thanks for all the help and information given!

bluej
bluej UltraDork
2/9/18 12:31 p.m.

I did not know the Speeduino was a thing until right now, either. verrrry interesting.

I've got a microsquirt based system running my rallyx engine. one of the reasons I chose it over an MS2 for similar price was for the surface mount construction and durability. If Speeduino also has surface mount for less than the microsquirt, that could definitely change some of my plans, so thanks for sharing.

What's the interface like?  Does TunerStudio work with it, and if not, how does the software compare in ease of use and robustness?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/9/18 12:51 p.m.
gabecar3 said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I may be wrong but didn't the miata "pick-up truck" have a speeduino this past year?

I really enjoy seeing the progress on the X-Bomb.

Thanks for all the help and information given!

No. It had FreeMS. 

Glad you're enjoying it. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/9/18 12:55 p.m.
bluej said:

I did not know the Speeduino was a thing until right now, either. verrrry interesting.

I've got a microsquirt based system running my rallyx engine. one of the reasons I chose it over an MS2 for similar price was for the surface mount construction and durability. If Speeduino also has surface mount for less than the microsquirt, that could definitely change some of my plans, so thanks for sharing.

What's the interface like?  Does TunerStudio work with it, and if not, how does the software compare in ease of use and robustness?

It uses tuner studio. It looks very similar to microsquirt. There are a couple of features that are not there yet, but the nice thing is you don't have to compromise as much. 

With microsquirt you really have to budget your resources. You have to make compromises like not running an IAC valve because you need that IO point for something else.

I am very impressed with it so far, but have not fired anything up with it yet. It reminds me a lot of microsquirt just cheaper and more IO.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/9/18 2:44 p.m.

Wait. Can these handle a full EFI setup? 

Can we get a link to the one you're using? 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
2/9/18 3:18 p.m.

I just read way too far into Speeduino. Thanks for that, I'm sold. That's probably what I'll run on the Rice Rod when I go full stupid with turbo.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/9/18 3:39 p.m.
Crackers said:

Wait. Can these handle a full EFI setup? 

Can we get a link to the one you're using? 

Yep.

https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/V0.4

I am running the 0.4.3 board. The 0.4.4 board has the surface mount components.

The bang for the buck seems like it will be outstanding. I haven't tried it yet, so don't know for sure yet. I know they've gotten one to run on an LS, so if they can do it, so can I.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/9/18 3:40 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Glad I could help.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/9/18 8:14 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Sweet! I'm gonna have to look into that more when I get ready for full stupid myself. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/9/18 8:15 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Please do so I can just copy you. LOL

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/10/18 6:37 a.m.

Day 112 - February 3, 2018

Continued to assemble speeduino.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/10/18 9:11 a.m.

I remember thru-hole! This is more the scale of components that we work with now. But don't ask me to do them! 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/10/18 1:37 p.m.
NOHOME said:

I remember thru-hole! This is more the scale of components that we work with now. But don't ask me to do them! 

Yep. I have hand soldered components that size before. It is very challenging.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/11/18 6:07 a.m.

Day 113 - February 4, 2018

Scraped, cleaned, and removed 2 more pounds of undercoating.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yE9SOVi6k3ZxxzWKekenyqMzx9NYTw4l2oY6PkQGeJ5tKpCFUYoX1hLWBgIEtgZx