TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/4/18 9:32 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Love how you hollowed it out for extra lightness. That's a nice piece you should be proud of.

Thanks. It took a little bit of effort. Most people fill the IAC valve hole with epoxy. We wanted the option to install and IAC valve at a later date, so we made a plug.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/11/18 7:18 a.m.

Day 143 - July 8, 2018

More wiring.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/11/18 7:20 a.m.

I forgot to post on Thursday last week, so here is a second update.

Day 144 - July 10, 2018

Set up rear gears.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/13/18 7:14 a.m.

Day 145 - July 11, 2018

Finished engine harness. Tested harness.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/13/18 7:16 a.m.

I was thinking of this car while watching Drag Week coverage. 

Did you get the email I sent you about intellectual permissions?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/13/18 11:42 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I was thinking of this car while watching Drag Week coverage. 

Did you get the email I sent you about intellectual permissions?

I completely missed your email. Reply sent.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/13/18 11:53 a.m.

I've been thinking about doing a digital race dash with the Microsquirt. Does anyone know what my options are? Racepaks are expensive! It may not be going to the challenge, but $1000 is just too expensive. I don't need anything that logs. The ECU does that itself.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/13/18 12:06 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I know there are some tablet/phone based solutions but haven't looked into them much.

I have been thinking about adapting a TrailTech computer to the rally car, and they have UTV kits which should include enough wiring and stuff.  I had a Vapor like this as my only display on my rallyMoto bike and it worked extremely well, they're not marketed for car use but they're cheap, tough, and I don't see why they wouldn't work.

bluej
bluej UberDork
9/13/18 12:07 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:

I've been thinking about doing a digital race dash with the Microsquirt. Does anyone know what my options are? Racepaks are expensive! It may not be going to the challenge, but $1000 is just too expensive. I don't need anything that logs. The ECU does that itself.

Cheap Android tablet w/ msdroid?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/13/18 1:09 p.m.

I was thinking about trying a tablet, but I wanted something a little more rugged and reliable.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/13/18 1:11 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I know there are some tablet/phone based solutions but haven't looked into them much.

I have been thinking about adapting a TrailTech computer to the rally car, and they have UTV kits which should include enough wiring and stuff.  I had a Vapor like this as my only display on my rallyMoto bike and it worked extremely well, they're not marketed for car use but they're cheap, tough, and I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Interesting. I was hoping to find something that could talk to my ECU through CAN though.

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron Reader
9/13/18 2:17 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

I've looked into this a couple times as a down the road option when I get to the point of wiring my truck. There's people using Raspberry Pi computers to create digital dash displays on mega/microsquirt powered cars.  It seems arduino is also an option that decreases the boot load time.

Linky 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/18/18 6:33 p.m.

Day 146 - July 15, 2018

Prepared short block.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/18/18 6:35 p.m.

In the Datsun i have a $45 android tablet with torque and a bluetooth dongle.  It works well for how cheap it was, and it has gps speedo.  It’s held in with the super heavy duty velcro like ez passes come with

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/18/18 9:29 p.m.
Patrick said:

In the Datsun i have a $45 android tablet with torque and a bluetooth dongle.  It works well for how cheap it was, and it has gps speedo.  It’s held in with the super heavy duty velcro like ez passes come with

How long does it take to boot? Do you have to select the app to get it to start diplaying your gauges?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/20/18 7:43 a.m.

Day 147 - July 17, 2018

Bolted on heads

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/20/18 7:51 a.m.

I will answer your question about boot time when i find the tablet.  But you do have to open an app to have gauges.  From there though i leave it on until i’m done running for the day.  I have a usb/volt meter combo to install next so i can plug into a dash mounted charging port and be good to go.  

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/20/18 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

You don't have to dig it out just for me. You answered my question. Perhaps there is a way to load a "light" version of Android that automatically loads the app and has faster boot time. I'll have to look into that.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/25/18 8:46 a.m.

Day 148 - July 20, 2018

Finished rear lower 4 link body mounts.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/2/18 5:28 a.m.

Day 149 - July 21, 2018

Modified oil pan. Installer lower 4 link mounts.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/2/18 5:46 a.m.

Are those four link mounts modifications of the spring hangers or are they from scratch?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/2/18 5:49 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

They are modifications to the stock front leaf spring mount. They bolt into the same place that the mount would.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/9/18 9:25 a.m.

Day 150 - July 22, 2018

Made baffle plate for oil pan.

artur1808
artur1808 Reader
10/10/18 6:09 a.m.

Love all the work in this build!

Maybe a silly question, but what material did you use for the hardware on the oil baffle "door"? Do you have to consider wear/corrosion of the moving parts?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/10/18 7:15 a.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

Thanks.

This car was originally going to be a challenge car. The hinges I bought at Home Depot. I basically just went to the hinge section and found the smallest brass hinges I could. The rest is made out of aluminum. It should be submerged in oil for most of it's life, so hopefully wear and corrosion are not a thing.

I think ICT billet sells the trap doors. They're really expensive, but that is an easier route.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
95q9DxxoVoEpbih9QWEtbtpqZ2WWswE54vMeT3B0LbGxWcTTOPkVBO7j52k5Njlt