wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
1/27/20 2:39 p.m.
dculberson said:
wheels777 said:

At 17 psi boost the new converter made 35 more HP. Then changed the exhaust housings and made 22 more. 
When we cranked the boost to 19 we were making 840 HP (throwing rubber chunks).   Above that the tires were spinning and pitching chunks of rubber (even with 200# of weight in the trunk).

That's amazing. You make me want to start building and follow this recipe.

Amazing is seeing it blaze the tires with 22 pounds going down the intake....

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
1/27/20 2:41 p.m.
dculberson said:
wheels777 said:

At 17 psi boost the new converter made 35 more HP. Then changed the exhaust housings and made 22 more. 
When we cranked the boost to 19 we were making 840 HP (throwing rubber chunks).   Above that the tires were spinning and pitching chunks of rubber (even with 200# of weight in the trunk).

That's amazing. You make me want to start building and follow this recipe.

It's intimidating on this side of the screen.  The car leaps up hard and the roar is intense.  I wish we could have recorded good data at the higher boost numbers...it was intense!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
1/27/20 2:44 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

As always I'm enjoying updates. Be sure to share if Calvin shoots any more videos of the work or walk arounds of what has happened. I always seem to learn something new when he does that. 

He is in the process of editting 2 new ones.  Make sure you go to his youtube channel nivlac57 and subscribe.  982 and counting.

java230
java230 UberDork
1/27/20 5:26 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

985 now smiley

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
1/27/20 8:11 p.m.
wheels777 said:
759NRNG said:
wvumtnbkr said:
wheels777 said:
759NRNG said:

Aw............... I call BS wink

Sorry you feel that way. Doesn't change what happened. Feel free to stop looking at the thread. We are just trying to share with the folks who have been enjoying the build. 

I pretty sure he was being sarcastic.  He has been rooting for you through the entire thread.  Hence the winky face.  Haha.

Wheelz my bad .....I was goofin' carry on kick butt!!!!

All good.  wink

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look...one of those smiley things.  I did right...right??

As we say here in Texas yu done good....the emoji rocks. Hey this madness with you and Calvin....the 'stude'......this X-BomB,,,,,and the 'FAIRMONT FROM HADES' thread has been updated lately? I know you're a LITTLE busy....just wonderin' wink

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
1/27/20 8:42 p.m.
759NRNG said:
wheels777 said:
759NRNG said:
wvumtnbkr said:
wheels777 said:
759NRNG said:

Aw............... I call BS wink

Sorry you feel that way. Doesn't change what happened. Feel free to stop looking at the thread. We are just trying to share with the folks who have been enjoying the build. 

I pretty sure he was being sarcastic.  He has been rooting for you through the entire thread.  Hence the winky face.  Haha.

Wheelz my bad .....I was goofin' carry on kick butt!!!!

All good.  wink

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look...one of those smiley things.  I did right...right??

As we say here in Texas yu done good....the emoji rocks. Hey this madness with you and Calvin....the 'stude'......this X-BomB,,,,,and the 'FAIRMONT FROM HADES' thread has been updated lately? I know you're a LITTLE busy....just wonderin' wink

Friday finished wrenching the Nova. Moved cars loaded trailers, hauled load of scrap to the recyclers. Dinner and movie with the family. Saturday breakfast with friend.  Hauled and sold engine and transmission, Fairmont got a shifter, Made major mods to an inner cooler for another car. Calls and rule clarifications for our No Prep race.  Sunday service. Dyno'ed the Nova. Hung out with friends. Took 10-15 work calls. And this was a quiet weekend. ....  

And all I will say is hold onto your hat when you see the monster being built for this years event. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
1/27/20 8:55 p.m.

Waaaa?!?!?!?!? it's not one of these?!?!?!!!! C'mon just a year vintage and every ones imaginations will go haywire.....bring it!!! 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
1/28/20 4:45 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Waaaa?!?!?!?!? it's not one of these?!?!?!!!! C'mon just a year vintage and every ones imaginations will go haywire.....bring it!!! 

Okay .... 1992. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
1/29/20 6:22 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWqKmXcljhc

Peak power increased by 33 - NBD.

But th greater gain is the radical increase in the midrange.......take a good look at the curves at the end of the video.

Also, Calvin's channel broke 1000 subscribers...Thank you if you are one of those who tolerate these snapshots into our world.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
1/29/20 7:14 a.m.

Thanks to everyone that subscribed. Been trying to steadily improve the video quality.

Here's the snap shot of the power difference between the torque converters

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/29/20 7:25 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

That's amazing. Over 100hp gain everywhere and 175hp gain at the bump? Holy moly. I had no idea. 

And this is why I watch your videos. Thanks again for making them. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
1/29/20 7:57 a.m.
wheels777 said:

Thank you if you are one of those who tolerate these snapshots into our world.

I'm not sure you understand what this word means, I think the word you're looking for is appreciate wink

Great job on the video.  The Dyno pull is cool and all, but the presentation of useful information is what sets Calvin's videos apart from the rest.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/29/20 11:24 a.m.
wheels777 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWqKmXcljhc

Peak power increased by 33 - NBD.

But th greater gain is the radical increase in the midrange.......take a good look at the curves at the end of the video.

Also, Calvin's channel broke 1000 subscribers...Thank you if you are one of those who tolerate these snapshots into our world.

You guys have NO idea how much I've learned from reading all your threads and watching Calvin's videos. Thanks for everything.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
1/29/20 4:02 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

That's amazing. Over 100hp gain everywhere and 175hp gain at the bump? Holy moly. I had no idea. 

And this is why I watch your videos. Thanks again for making them. 

That's why we test and test and test.  The engine, trans and rear are like the instruments in a concert - when tuned to be a complement to the others - it's music to the ears. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
1/29/20 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled and GIRTHQUAKE :

You're too kind. Thank you. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/4/20 10:31 a.m.
bluej
bluej UberDork
2/4/20 12:20 p.m.
wheels777 said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Evvg3zOvto

That's just great! I just recently spent a bunch of time on the matchbot trying to correlate what to expect out of a somewhat unknown turbo, so it's great to hear that your real world results validate what you modeled (within reasonable expectations). I've never had as good a grasp on how torque converters effect the overall system as I should, so I'm looking forward to watching that one now.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/4/20 1:55 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

Calvin plans to do a video on the fuel line next.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/8/20 11:40 a.m.
wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/29/20 4:26 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
5/29/20 6:20 p.m.

Andrew are you at the helm in those 1/4 mile blasts?    and I'm sure y'all have another

bullet to put in the 'chamber'......hey how many miles where on that (stock)bottom end?  

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/29/20 7:48 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

Andrew are you at the helm in those 1/4 mile blasts?    and I'm sure y'all have another

bullet to put in the 'chamber'......hey how many miles where on that (stock)bottom end?  

I was. 
Unknown miles. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
5/29/20 8:22 p.m.

and another LS awaits Xbomb when things settle down with 2020DSM challenge ...or is

this house.....hey we got time to do this on that over there quit standin' around...get busy???

java230
java230 UberDork
5/29/20 9:27 p.m.

It was inevitable? 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
5/30/20 1:28 p.m.

That engine lived a good life. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wl4YnIGlvuzdYoa4e5yh3xt6bNJEAR124otWfX4OczFAC0J5PAfUI6ZMJZVgu5bH