barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/5/20 4:15 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

Just don't google it at work. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/5/20 8:36 p.m.

Whats the recoup you're looking for for the kenwood stereo?

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/6/20 7:18 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

email sent

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/6/20 7:49 a.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

Replied 

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
11/6/20 7:57 p.m.

You totally need this for the ass end of that Bradley body . . . 

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/13/20 7:06 p.m.

Last weekend was spent stripping more things from the thing. Today is my wedding anniversary, but my wife is currently deployed so I spent the day making more Challenge things happen. Also, CB was present making things go right.

We started by disconnecting the last few cables and wires bridging the gaps between the body and the frame. Shift cable, parking brake cable, throttle cable, fuel pump wiring, some evap hose, removed the hitch to access rear body mounts, and moved the car to the lifting station

Going up?

And with a surprisingly minor amount of finagling, we rolled the good bits from under the useless bits

What followed after pushing the frame back into the building was an extended "sit and think" involving bologna sandwiches and beer. I laid out a roadmap, and much discussion was had. More dimensions measured, thoughts on several potential roadblocks and ways to avoid them; most especially not causing them for ourselves.

Then we got back after it:

Today was a good day.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/13/20 7:13 p.m.

Totally cool! Sorry ya have to be away from the wife, but good to have a hobby. Great seeing that thing come apart.

I assume that was CB in the one photo... was great meeting him on the parts delivery run. My kinda people.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/13/20 7:15 p.m.

Did you eat the bologna cold out of the pack or did you at least cook it.  When cooking it you of course have to make the three slits in the outer edge so you don't get the top hat effect.

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/13/20 7:18 p.m.

Aside from the front suspension and steering, that frame looks exactly like the Funderbird. 
And those wheels look super familiar. 
What's the plan for ejecting the mgm carcass from the shop?

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/13/20 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

First time I worked in Hartsville SC, back in '98, I discovered a bologna, egg and cheese biscuit was one of my favorite breakfasts... who knew bologna was such a good breakfast item!

nocones
nocones UltraDork
11/13/20 7:34 p.m.

Progress is looking great. 

I too enjoy Beer and Balogna.

Which beer is best?

gumby (Forum Supporter)
11/13/20 7:40 p.m.
nocones said:

Which beer is best?

Not sure if serious question.... Free beer is best!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/13/20 7:41 p.m.
nocones said:

Progress is looking great. 

I too enjoy Beer and Balogna.

Which beer is best?

Can I be assistant to the assistant to the regional manager?

Also, can I just take a minute to say how much I love the vic rollerskate? Need to get my hands on one of those bad dogs. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/13/20 7:42 p.m.
gumby (Forum Supporter) said:
nocones said:

Which beer is best?

Not sure if serious question.... Free beer is best!

Not sure if you've had access to enough free beer...

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/13/20 8:07 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Did you eat the bologna cold out of the pack or did you at least cook it.  When cooking it you of course have to make the three slits in the outer edge so you don't get the top hat effect.

Can I just point out how great it is that Stampie is giving advice about Heating Lunch Meat in a thread titled "..... Reheating Stampie's Leftovers"

I love GRM 

p.s. Gumby, progress looking good as usual.  Sorry I couldn't make it today, it was my youngest's birthday.  

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/13/20 8:22 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Can I just point out how great it is that Stampie is giving advice about Heating Lunch Meat in a thread titled "..... Reheating Stampie's Leftovers"

I totally missed that! Good catch!

gumby (Forum Supporter)
11/22/20 7:31 p.m.

So I only took one picture today, but some serious forward progress happened.

Teaser before Bob comes in with his pics

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/22/20 8:15 p.m.

starting frame weight. 

that last one was current weight frame and body. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/22/20 8:23 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Built in wheelie bar.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/22/20 8:25 p.m.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/22/20 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Combination wheelie bar and diffuser mount.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/22/20 8:39 p.m.

I'm interested in your optimistic creativity in finding room for the motor. Time to follow along with this silliness. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/22/20 8:50 p.m.

I was a month too early to help. 
Gumby, I'm aware of your general plan, but hear me out. Straddle that trans! Crank pulley under the bottom edge of the windshield, sit where you fit, and cage it legal. Party!

gumby (Forum Supporter)
11/22/20 9:12 p.m.

Pictures stolen! Lemme see if I can unpack a bit.

The 983lb is the untouched frame and suspension as it was at the end of the previous update. This was actually a couple hundo lighter than I anticipated.

Then I transferred the cut lines to both sides of each frame rail and we gave her the ol choppy chop. Staggered cut with the front stacked above the rear. The idea here being to preserve some of the front suspension geometry despite the soon to be drastically lower ride height. Currently the stock Panther springs, at rest, have the shocks fully extended.

Couple of body test fits, trimming both the frame and body itself along the way. There is a tunnel inside each rocker that will sit directly on top of the frame rail. The rear of the body is still a bit above touching down, but we got a really good idea of what it will take to get where we want to be.

We didn't worry about making sure the corner scales were in the proper locations today, just grabbing total weight numbers. Not really sure how any one corner of a symmetrical frame could be so much heavier than the rest, but we will flesh that out when we start locating major components.

I need to get my argon bottles filled and finish up the welding in the Z-notch.

I had more fun today than is likely legal in some states. Working with these two guys is always great. There were at least two people at a time cutting, grinding, sanding, or welding for the vast majority of the 7hrs we spent in the shop today!

mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'm interested in your optimistic creativity in finding room for the motor. Time to follow along with this silliness. 

There is a large open space for the engine. Bob is more concerned about finding room for the fleshy bit that will attempt to control this machine; Shaun has a valid proposal.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9VeMjyUqAIV0uljFOsIEfFKmnbIg8kdnb6uohGJVKQiF2MxKUEhKH2Rq1qHbB2x0